Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #21
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Edgestar 28 bottle & Humidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez View Post
Run a piece of clear tape down to a little container to collect the water.

That's how I had it so that it doesn't collect on the bottom of the unit.
Ugh I'll have to do that sometime tomorrow...

62/63 right now. I hope it stays that way.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #22
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Ugh I'll have to do that sometime tomorrow...

62/63 right now. I hope it stays that way.
Remember too bill that I live in Miami where the humidity is always like 99%

Hell I could prob leave my sticks out on my coffee table for weeks without them drying out lol.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #23
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez View Post
Remember too bill that I live in Miami where the humidity is always like 99%

Hell I could prob leave my sticks out on my coffee table for weeks without them drying out lol.
It's 63RH/62 in the Edgestar. 40RH/70temp in my room where it's at.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #24
Drez
The Warden

Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
It's 63RH/62 in the Edgestar. 40RH/70temp in my room where it's at.
Just give it a few days. Should all balance out...

Old 06-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #25
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

What I did to counter the water running down the back of my Edgestars was to add a strip of humidity bead paper from heartfelt down the back of the unit..
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #26
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
What I did to counter the water running down the back of my Edgestars was to add a strip of humidity bead paper from heartfelt down the back of the unit..
Interesting.....Never looked at the bead paper.

I suppose those last forever, but how do they hold up there?
Old 06-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #27
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

So I looked this morning and my edgestar was at 58

It held 62 for at least 10 hours yesterday.

What gives, it's plugged.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #28
Drez
The Warden

Quote:
So I looked this morning and my edgestar was at 58

It held 62 for at least 10 hours yesterday.

What gives, it's plugged.
dont know mine is UNPLUGGED and holding solid at 65% and 63 degrees.

i just put it on a timer (15 minutes on 45 off) just so the units not running 24/7

ill check back in the am to see what the high / lows are.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #29
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Plugged drains are the way to go. Any wooden humidor is a sealed box, and you would not drill a hole in your wooden humidor to allow airflow. Same for coolerdors. They are all sealed. If your ambient RH around the Wine Fridge is OK then you can get away with not plugging you drain, but that will vary seasonally. So, plug the drain.

I did not see if you are running the cooler. If you are that will affect the RH. The cooler units usually remove moisture from the air, which is why most people have a catch tray or the like in the bottom of their wine fridge to save that "excess" moisture and recycle into the air. If the RH is where you want then you can empty the moisture tray.

If your RH is low, saturate some more of your beads and go from there. Remember, you want to change the RH slowly so as not to affect your cigars -- we have all seen the results of rapid RH changes, like when you take a cigar from a warm room to very cold outdoors - split wrappers. Because of this I am not an advocate of adding any kind of raw moisture source (sponge, water dish, etc.) in your humidor -- but that's just my . (The catch tray from the cooler unit is OK).

The bottom line is be patient: our cigars are much more tolerant than we think, and it takes a while for any change in our humidor to "soak" into the cigars...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #30
Drez
The Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Plugged drains are the way to go. Any wooden humidor is a sealed box, and you would not drill a hole in your wooden humidor to allow airflow. Same for coolerdors. They are all sealed. If your ambient RH around the Wine Fridge is OK then you can get away with not plugging you drain, but that will vary seasonally. So, plug the drain.

I did not see if you are running the cooler. If you are that will affect the RH. The cooler units usually remove moisture from the air, which is why most people have a catch tray or the like in the bottom of their wine fridge to save that "excess" moisture and recycle into the air. If the RH is where you want then you can empty the moisture tray.

If your RH is low, saturate some more of your beads and go from there. Remember, you want to change the RH slowly so as not to affect your cigars -- we have all seen the results of rapid RH changes, like when you take a cigar from a warm room to very cold outdoors - split wrappers. Because of this I am not an advocate of adding any kind of raw moisture source (sponge, water dish, etc.) in your humidor -- but that's just my . (The catch tray from the cooler unit is OK).

The bottom line is be patient: our cigars are much more tolerant than we think, and it takes a while for any change in our humidor to "soak" into the cigars...
lots of good info but the biggest thing is to find out what works for you.

my last wine fridge wasn't thermo so it never ran. it was however a sealed vino and didn't have a drain plug. my new edgestar (same as bills) does have a plug and like bill i was having the low humidity issue.

i added a water dish because that is how i recharge my beads. i spray them now and then but i rather let them absorb what they need over about a weeks time and not worry about over saturation or spikes.

being that the fridge is running even thermo it will still pull some moisture out of the air. biggest thing like it has been mentioned was to give it time.

once you get the drawers in remember that the cedar there will also hold moisture and help out along with all the boxes you put in there.

if i were you bill leave the drain plugged / tapped up for a bit. take out your smokes and see where its at. then why not start adding them say box at a time after its been holding humidity where you want it. that way it slowly brings all the sticks to the humidity/temp of the fridge.

hope this helps bro

Old 06-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #31
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Interesting.....Never looked at the bead paper.

I suppose those last forever, but how do they hold up there?

Held up fine over the last year. Newest mod I did after moving. I would say it will last a few years at least. It cuts maintenance down to nothing as it allows the water to go back into the air.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #32
klipsch

I've had my EdgeStar for a couple of years now. The more the fan runs, the more the RH fluctuates. It's been getting warm here, so I saw the RH drop as low as 60% in the past week or so. I left my drain open. I don't want the chance of water accumulating on the bottom of the unit and soaking some coffins sitting down there. Like some others have stated...it's time more than anything for the drawers, boxes, cigars...etc to acclimate to the environment, and stabilize the RH . In the winter months...the RH with sit at 64-65% and never needs any water to be added. I've got about a pound and a half of beads or more in the cooler. They're spread out from top to bottom, but there's a Tupperware cover holding close to a pound on the floor of the unit. That's where I add water, and leave the rest of the beads to stabilize.
The reason for having a wine-o-dor is to keep the temp down and limit the chance of beetles. ALL of my CC's are in there...and at the moment the interior is 66/62% in the "one spot" that the hygrometer is sitting at the "very moment" I looked at it. RH changes top to bottom, and swings happen over a period of time, whether minutes, hours or days. I had a ***** of a time getting my desktop to stabilize when I first set it up as well. Since it's a closed lid and I can't see the RH by just walking by it...I trust everything is ok. If it's low when I do check...I add some water and trust it'll take care of itself, because every cigar I pull out of there smokes perfect. That's what really matters most...the cigars smoke well because they've been kept in an environment that was favorable to them doing so. Cooling just adds a measure of comfort that something isn't going to manifest itself and eat the cigars you intended to smoke. It'll all work out...I promise. If it didn't...people would have stopped using wine coolers as humi's along time ago.
Funny thing to add. I typically only go into my humi's maybe twice a month now. I take out a couple/few sticks that I want to smoke and keep them in my travelers until I smoke them. I use 65% Boveda's in the travelers because that's what works best for me. But...I won't keep any CC's in the travelers knowing that they might sit in the sun for hours and get well above 75 degrees. An ounce of prevention...ya know?
Old 07-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #33
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough

That is very strange, do you still have the shootglasses in there? When i started mine up I started with shootglasses and switched to sponges. They seemed to bring up the RH faster. I went with 3- bottom, middle, and top.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #34
AtlantaDave

Hey, Bill, are the temp and RH close to where you want it now?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #35
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaDave View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
The more important question is "How are your cigars smoking?" If they are fine then leave things the hell alone! Quality of smoke is much more important than any number.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #36
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaDave View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

It's weird.

Coolidors = always rock solid for me, 65 every minute of the week.

The Edgestar fluctuates from 61-64.

I gave up giving a $hit. Once the drain is plugged it's now ALWAYS higher than 60RH. So screw it.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #37
Sherlockholms

Quote:
It's weird.

Coolidors = always rock solid for me, 65 every minute of the week.

The Edgestar fluctuates from 61-64.

I gave up giving a $hit. Once the drain is plugged it's now ALWAYS higher than 60RH. So screw it.

I know this has probably already been answered Bill, but is it thermoelectric?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #38
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

First Name: Forrest
Trading: (38)
Partagas
GolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Old 07-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #39
Drez
The Warden

Once the drawers come In and I season them then I'll seal my drain plug. Mines been holding between 60-62% and 63 degrees.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #40
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlockholms View Post
I know this has probably already been answered Bill, but is it thermoelectric?
Yes, someone bumped this topic not me.....the cigars smoke great and I stopped caring....in fact I might "recalibrate" this hygro.

I think only T.G will get that joke.