Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #21
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice
Default Re: Starting a brick and mortar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Both of us are in retail rv dealership. I am administration and he in finance. My ideal is to make men Men again! Dudes now days grow out nasty scraggly beards dress in t shirts and cargo shorts and have added a new color to the wheel called Real tree . The feminization of men has also been pushed to a point. Some of us remember when the dad on TV was the wise all knowing thought of reason and now on the shows they are bumbling fools that the kids are smarter than the parents.
My dream would be a place where guys can get back to feeling like a man and hopefully dress and act more like a figurehead than a dunderhead!

: sorry rant over
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCuts View Post
I've never owned a pair of cargo shorts. I do, however, have a big beard. And when I'm not at work I often wear t-shirts. And I promise you, Crusader, I am as much a man or more than the suit-wearing demographic you intend to build your B&M around. You want to open an exclusive lounge for clean-shaven rich guys, that's fine. You're entitled to do so. I'll go someplace else. But understand this: being a man is a thing of substance that does not require a barber or a tailor. And sitcom dads are not the best barometer for the contemporary definition of manliness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure how my beard, my T-shirt with "My Gun License is the Second Amendment" written on the front, and my cargo shorts which expose my hairy calves somehow are symptoms of "the feminization of men". Seems rather counter-intuitive to me. But what do I know, I'm only a whiskey-slugging, cigar-smoking, beer-brewing, BBQ-ing veteran of almost a quarter century in the military; perhaps my "feminization" is so complete I don't even recognize it in me. I guess I'll go watch some TV shows from the '50's so I can learn what I should be doing as a man. That is, if I can get to the remote before I menstruate all over it.
Just an observation, Crusader, but not many of us on this board would be eligible to enter your establishment. I'm not so sure your most recent post was very well thought out.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #22
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave128 View Post
Just an observation, Crusader, but not many of us on this board would be eligible to enter your establishment.
Or that would even classify what he considers a man in general. If i DID get cargo pants, but had them camo or cut off some of my old BDUs would that be manly?
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #23
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Or that would even classify what he considers a man in general. If i DID get cargo pants, but had them camo or cut off some of my old BDUs would that be manly?
No.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #24
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

I personally really enjoy wearing cargo shorts and I'm 35. They are comfortable and the pockets do come in handy from time to time.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #25
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

The most successful shop I know is the Cigar Room in Madison, Alabama in a booming N. Alabama metropolitan area. No alcohol is served. It's BYOB. There are 3 lounge areas and all are for everybody. No tooty snooty stuff here. One is quiet and gives someone a place to watch TV or read. Another has a poker table, game area, juke box, and pool table. The outside retail area has a sitting area which has become my favorite because the conversation is lively and interesting.

Next door to the shop is a place called 'Wish You Were Beer.' They sell only microbrews and do a whopping business. The cigar shop owner owns the entire strip mall so all businesses compliment his shop. A hairdresser on one end (while the ladies get their hair done, the husbands can hang out at the cigar shop). A Thai restaurant is to the left of the shop.

He is successful because customer service is No. 1. 99% of the folks appreciate it. The staff is nice and helpful. The owner, Donald Waddell, is one helluva nice guy along with his right hand man, Donny Muse. If you want to look at shops before you open yours, I suggest you plan a trip here before doing anything.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #26
Crusader
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Crusader is on a distinguished road

I appoligize if I hurt some feelings, it was not the intentions. My reference is to understand our type of shop we are looking for. We live in a town of about 50k and the only place to buy "premiums" is at a Smoker Friendly that is in the seedy part of town.
Yes, I absolutely think there has been a de-emphasis of the gentleman in our American culture, especially in I'm ok you're ok groups. Hey, I wear T-shirts and cargos too, but, they should not be your first choice out to eat and especially to church.
Why would I want to do a business deal with someone who does not care about appearance in any way.
Anywho, the guys I know will not even go to the one place in town due to the clientele that hang out there and my buddy and I do go go there minimum once a week in the winter for a mini herf because they do have a decent lounge that no one really uses.
Our idea would be to reach the other half that are missing out. The sticks would be our enjoyment and the others stuff to suplement.

And on the rvs. Heartland rv is probably the most solid manufacturer with Open Range / Highland ridge being a close second. Otherwise they are mostly the same using the same parts. 95% of owning an rv is your dealer you buy it from and how well they stand behind the product they sell. As the Warranty Manager I can tell you those two company's I mentioned back their product and what they don't we do as long as it's not absurd neglect. I pay a lot of claims for people on things that are not covered and that's what keeps us in business. Hell, we even do a lot of other dealerships warranty because they suck and won't help out their own.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #27
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave128 View Post
No.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #28
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Quote:
I appoligize if I hurt some feelings, it was not the intentions. My reference is to understand our type of shop we are looking for. We live in a town of about 50k and the only place to buy "premiums" is at a Smoker Friendly that is in the seedy part of town.
Yes, I absolutely think there has been a de-emphasis of the gentleman in our American culture, especially in I'm ok you're ok groups. Hey, I wear T-shirts and cargos too, but, they should not be your first choice out to eat and especially to church.
Why would I want to do a business deal with someone who does not care about appearance in any way.
Anywho, the guys I know will not even go to the one place in town due to the clientele that hang out there and my buddy and I do go go there minimum once a week in the winter for a mini herf because they do have a decent lounge that no one really uses.
Our idea would be to reach the other half that are missing out. The sticks would be our enjoyment and the others stuff to suplement.

And on the rvs. Heartland rv is probably the most solid manufacturer with Open Range / Highland ridge being a close second. Otherwise they are mostly the same using the same parts. 95% of owning an rv is your dealer you buy it from and how well they stand behind the product they sell. As the Warranty Manager I can tell you those two company's I mentioned back their product and what they don't we do as long as it's not absurd neglect. I pay a lot of claims for people on things that are not covered and that's what keeps us in business. Hell, we even do a lot of other dealerships warranty because they suck and won't help out their own.

Thanks! I am actually looking very hard at Heartland Sundance and Elkridge models. The difficulty I'm having is trying to determine MSRP I suspect the dealers inflate the MSRP, but I have no way of knowing for sure. They have a few 32-35' with floorplans I like in the $40k range, but I'm really trying to be out the door for 35k or less.

As far as the cigar shop, a town of 50k isn't a lot of people. Can a town that size actually support more than one? Is the demographic you are seeking out actually large enough to support you? You said there is a nicer lounge that rarely gets used, why is that? Is it because the current clientele runs off the others, or is it because there simply aren't enough others? In such a small town I would be wary of opening something unless I was certain I could dominate. I'm from a town that size and unless yours is very different, the ratio of what you might call sophisticated affluent versus every day people is pretty small.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #29
Crusader
Just in from the Storm

Here is our website you could compare with. Again we go way beyond what most dealers do. Ask your dealer to show you the entire dealership and have them explain how they will take care of you after the sale. We automatically set up 60 day and ten month inspections to help hammer out problems while in warranty.
As the saying goes , "People forget a cheap price log before a cheap service"
http://richsonsrv.com/
Old 06-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #30
Chimneyfish
Still Watching My Back

Chimneyfish is on a distinguished road

location location location!
developers, developers, developers!

Subways, Subways, Subways!!
Chimneyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #31
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Quote:
Here is our website you could compare with. Again we go way beyond what most dealers do. Ask your dealer to show you the entire dealership and have them explain how they will take care of you after the sale. We automatically set up 60 day and ten month inspections to help hammer out problems while in warranty.
As the saying goes , "People forget a cheap price log before a cheap service"
http://richsonsrv.com/
Since this is beginning to stray off the topic of cigars, would it be okay if I PM you?
Old 06-25-2014, 12:43 PM   #32
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

My opinion after visiting stores from one end of the country top to bottom left to right. Customer service first, lounge quality second, retail selection third. I will revisit a great lounge with good amenities and little to no cigars before a place with every cigar made and a folding chair in front of a b&w TV.

Next I don't think a town, any town, of 50k people can support cigar b&m.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #33
Crusader
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
Since this is beginning to stray off the topic of cigars, would it be okay if I PM you?
Sure
Old 06-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #34
Crusader
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
My opinion after visiting stores from one end of the country top to bottom left to right. Customer service first, lounge quality second, retail selection third. I will revisit a great lounge with good amenities and little to no cigars before a place with every cigar made and a folding chair in front of a b&w TV.

Next I don't think a town, any town, of 50k people can support cigar b&m.
Maybe, we are more of a tri cities area with a town of 20k 15 mi away and a college town of 40k about 35 mi. That's why would be more of what I call an executive type of business specializing in finer but affordable things for men
Old 06-26-2014, 04:51 AM   #35
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

A barbershop with cigars would be a nice combo. Good way to kill time while in queue.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #36
Crusader
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
A barbershop with cigars would be a nice combo. Good way to kill time while in queue.
I'm on board. Cigars, lounge, suites, straight razors and a barber. BOOM
Old 06-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #37
RandJCigars
JSR

First Name: Jimmy
Trading: (3)
RandJCigars is on a distinguished road

I just opened my second cigar lounge / b&m and I would echo what these guys have said; if you live in a good state where taxes aren't ridiculous and bans aren't prevalent, than go for it. I am in Texas, specifically south of Houston. Houston has a smoking ban but an amendment to the ordinance allows smoking indoors as long as your sales are 90% or more tobacco.

More specifically, my new lounge is in Friendswood....where there are NO smoking bans. Where the city council voted to allow business owners to make their own decisions on whether or not to allow smoking. (I love Friendswood...I live there). Furthermore, Friendswood has no ordinance or law against smoking AND drinking...in other words...I could hypothetically sell alcohol eventually if I wanted to.

Things to think about going into it:
1. How much square feet are you wanting vs needing. My original store in Pearland is a whopping 895 square feet...tiny. However, because of my setup, I still have 350 facings. My friendswood store is 1450 square feet. I have 500 facings there, a large lounge, an office, and a good sized warehouse in the back for my wholesale business. Moral is...what do you actually need vs what do you want? Do you need an office? Do you need a storage room? Are you wanting a walk-in or a cabinet system (I am a huge proponent of a cabinet system). What capacity are you aiming for for your smoking area/lounge?

2. Do you have a GOOD contractor ready to dedicate up to 3 months for a commercial build out? It would help to find a contractor that can sub out a guy who is familiar with really good HVAC systems/ERV systems/ Ventilation methods. Make sure if you do go forward with this...that ALL subs know the scope of the work. They need to know every detail so they don't unbid it...only to comeback and request a change order because the project needs this or that.

3. The location you want will determine where you get your cigars; direct from manufacturers or from wholesalers/distributors. It may not be the same where you live, but here in the Houston area....if a new lounge/b&m opens within 5 miles of another established cigar business...that lounge will not be open direct. In other words, the reps will not open direct accounts with you for the respective manufactures. I wholesale and distribute all brands...so believe me I know...I reek the benefits of guys that do that.

4. The Lease Language. This is important. Most leases have a section or paragraph that is titled "Use". This paragraph is, by default, "retail". However if you want to allow smoking...you must demand that the paragraph be changed and worded to suite your business. I do this with all my leases...it simply necessary to protect you and your business.

5. Cost. This is probably the biggest factor for anyone opening any type of business. Just to give you a rough estimate, my new lounge cost me right around $100,000 for buildout/construction + Furniture/Fixtures (which includes TV's, Display Cases, Cabinets/Millwork, etc). The Cigar Inventory alone was an additional $50,000. Accessory Orders totaled $5000 (humidors, briar pipes, lighters, cutters, butane, humidors, ashtrays, etc). This was for a 1450 square foot space that had never been built out so we had to do it all; Demising wall, all interior partition walls, plumbing, electrical, HVAC/ventilation, floors, paint, ceiling grid and tiles, etc. Plan well, establish a good relationship with your bank so you can get a good business loan. Also get a business credit card from Capitol One...they have one that gives 2% cash back and the points never expire. A card like that will pay you back so much...you won't believe it.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Good Luck!

Jimmy
Old 06-30-2014, 07:05 AM   #38
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandJCigars View Post
I just opened my second cigar lounge / b&m and I would echo what these guys have said; if you live in a good state where taxes aren't ridiculous and bans aren't prevalent, than go for it.
How's business? Sounds like you have a lot invested. Between paying off your loans, along with salary, BAU operating costs, etc... Is there any left over? I don't mean for you to open your books, but to just illustrate that at the end of the day, the margins aren't that big and any missteps could wash away any profit.

Perhaps I am wrong and the cigar business is flush with cash?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:37 AM   #39
AdamJoshua

Jimmy that was an excellent and very informative post, never wanted to open a B&M myself but I still found it interesting from a general business side (my father owned a few bars and even a donut shop). Thanks for taking the time!
Old 06-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #40
RandJCigars
JSR

First Name: Jimmy
Trading: (3)
RandJCigars is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Jimmy that was an excellent and very informative post, never wanted to open a B&M myself but I still found it interesting from a general business side (my father owned a few bars and even a donut shop). Thanks for taking the time!

It was my pleasure, I'm just glad to help. I was lucky to have my father help me open my first store, but most are not that lucky. My father has been in the Liquor and Tobacco businesses for 32 years now...so I had a great resource. I have personally been in the tobacco business since I was 18; I started with online Hookah sales. I used some of that money to start my wholesale cigar business believe it or not! I am now a full blown Cigar B & M / Lounge owner and I also wholesale and distribute all premium cigars to a handful of stores. On top of all that...I have my own brand of Cigar, named Inception, that is now in 92 stores across 24 states.

If you're going to get into something...you gotta go 100%, otherwise you're wasting your time. I am open to answer any questions for anyone else considering this business as a career path.

Thanks,

Jimmy