Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
racerX
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: john
Trading: (0)
racerX is on a distinguished road
Default social security

My first thread so go easy on me. I'm 45 years old and have started to think harder about life after work. So...my smart worldly new friends, my question to you is - will I have full, some, or no social security pay outs when I retire? I realize this my start some debate on politics. I'm not looking for that or to start a war or a political discussion. Just want thoughts, so I can plan for my future.
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough
Default Re: social security

I look at it this way. Save and invest expecting to get no money from Uncle Sam coming to you at all. That way anything you may get from him, is cigar money.

I am 32 and have been saving for my retirement this way for the last ten or so years. I just had a daughter and we are starting to save for her education like it is going to cost half a million clams. The more you can save now the better off you will be later when you no longer have a working income.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

I just turned 50 and wonder the same myself. I just keep putting into my 401K and hope it's gonna be enough.

Or maybe I'll hit the Powerball!!!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
racerX
Adjusting to the Life

I am wishing for at least some help from Uncle Sam but I have been doing the same (saving and buying Powerball tickets).
Old 06-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerX View Post
I realize this my start some debate on politics. I'm not looking for that or to start a war or a political discussion. Just want thoughts, so I can plan for my future...
Hello John,

The following excerpt is from the current June 2011 AARP Bulletin that states: "
The administrative cost (for Social Security) is .09 percent. It returns 99 cents to beneficiaries on every dollar collected. By the end of 2010, the Social Security trust fund had a positive balance of $2.6 trillion. As a result of interest earned on the trust fund balances, the fund's surplus will continue to expand to approximately $3.67 trillion at the end of 2022. After that year, it is projected that the balance will begin to decline. Still, reserves will be sufficient to pay full benefits through the year 2036. After that, Social Security would still be able to pay for 77 percent of benefits."

The name of the article is Social Security's Enduring Truths and its Author is James Roosevelt Jr (the grandson of President Franklin D. Roosevelt).

There are individuals John who strongly wish to "privatize" Social Security so their buddies on Wall Street can rape us further. They can go stick it. There are individuals (the same) who also strongly wish to "privatize" Medicare. They can also go stick it too There is a very simple way to insure that Social Security continues on strongly past 2022, but I will not get into that in your thread. I hope this helps you out...

Old 06-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
racerX
Adjusting to the Life

Mark - Thanks for the great info. I read the article.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerX View Post
Mark - Thanks for the great info. I read the article.
Anytime John
Old 06-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Without getting into politics, my personal belief is that there is only one person that will always come through, only one person that can be counted on, only one person that you can depend on 100%.....and that is yourself. Plan and save like your life depends on it, because it just might.

Read as much information from as many sources as you can. Weigh them all, make your own decisions based on your own research. Take positive action and take care of yourself and your family, first, without fail.

Anything additional will then be a nice surprise.....

One man's opinion - N.F.H.
BlindedByScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I am of similar age. If we get anything, it will be a joke at best. Between government thievery and inflation, our payout will equal 10 cents on the dollar by the time we need it.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #10
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Officially: no such thing.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I know I sure as hell won't get anything. I wish I didn't have to pay into it.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
justonemorestick
Kat Krap Kontanment Media

First Name: Warren
Trading: (13)
justonemorestick is on a distinguished road

Approximate expenses for apartment living on the cheap in Cambodia.

Rent: $90
Electric: $15
Water: $10
Cable: $35
Groceries: $130
Transport: $30
Miscellaneous – Visa Insurance etc. $75
Total monthly expenses – $310

Approximate expenses for apartment living on the cheap in the Philippines.

Rent: P7,500
Electric: P1,300
Water: P120
Cable: P850
Groceries: P5,000
Taxis: P3,000
Miscellaneous Visa, Insurance etc. P2,500
Total monthly expenses P20,270 – $431

Of course these are lowball numbers for more like $1000 USD/month you could get more luxurious accommodations.

My plan is to save in my IRA 401k and hopefully win the powerball. I am still not sure if I will be able to save enough to ever retire.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #13
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

What I want to know is if Social Security is not going to be around when we are eligible whythe HELL is it still being taken from everyone of my checks...
Old 06-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #14
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2 GOLD View Post
What I want to know is if Social Security is not going to be around when we are eligible whythe HELL is it still being taken from everyone of my checks...
BEcause it's a bigger Ponzi Scheme than what Madoff's pulled off.

Last edited by pektel; 06-13-2011 at 12:11 PM.
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I don't think SS will be there for me, so I quite honestly plan to work until I die; just like countless generations of my ancestors did.

Last edited by Subvet642; 06-13-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Subvet642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #16
SteveH
You lookin at me ?

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
HUpmann
SteveH is on a distinguished road

Ahh...Shouldn't this be in the 'Jokes' forum ??
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #17
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
I don't think SS will be there for me, so I quite honestly plan to work until I die; just like countless generations of my ancestors did.
This was my plan, too, that and dying of cancer. However there are no jobs for us now, like there were then.
You and I both think, 'eh, at worst, I can greet at the Mart.' or 'I am sure I will be able to work, because
unlike THIS generation, I still understand the meaning of work'. But that is when there were textile mills
and car factories and electronics manufacturers and more industries than I can count. NOW, there are
way fewer jobs, and old folks are getting pushed out as being too expensive to employ and remain competitive.
Working longer might be a dream. So save your money. I plan on designing avatars for spare change.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #18
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
This was my plan, too, that and dying of cancer. However there are no jobs for us now, like there were then.
You and I both think, 'eh, at worst, I can greet at the Mart.' or 'I am sure I will be able to work, because
unlike THIS generation, I still understand the meaning of work'. But that is when there were textile mills
and car factories and electronics manufacturers and more industries than I can count. NOW, there are
way fewer jobs, and old folks are getting pushed out as being too expensive to employ and remain competitive.
Working longer might be a dream. So save your money. I plan on designing avatars for spare change.
I'm a hospital security officer and we've got lots of "retirees" working for us, so it's easy to see myself working here for the rest of my life. The thing about security, as an industry, is that when the economy is good, there is more money for us, when the economy is bad, there is more need for us. I've been with my company for 23 years and we've NEVER laid anyone off.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #19
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

If I can keep my health and my job I will probably work til I'm 70. If I hit the average that will mean ~5 years of retirement. I don't need much so I think I'll be OK between SS and a little bit of retirement savings.
My father took an early retirement package at 55 from IBM where they boosted his pension and carried his health benefits for ten years. But that doesn't happen any more. People today who occupy the position he did then just get laid off rather than given an early retirement incentive. I think for most people the golden age of retirement at 60-65, travel, golf, trips to disney with the grandkids is over. SS is always in danger of interference of various kinds, pensions are mostly a thing of the past, wage growth is stagnant (for about 30 years now I think) and your 401 is invested in markets which are always going to be vulnerable to failure.
But personally I'll be happy as long I can house, feed, and clothe myself in retirement.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #20
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I'm 32 and I've paid into it since my first job at 16. If they would give me the option of opting out now I would. Even if I had to sign off any right to the money I've paid in so far, just so long as I didn't have to pay any more in, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

The original promise of SS was a 2% return on your money. Evern since the fed started dipping into those funds, that has dropped. I know people have fears about the stock market, but on the long term average is actually very good. Way above 2%.

Quote:
Average Stock Market Return per year: Last 5, 10, 20 ... Years
Since 1900 (end-of-year 1899), through 2010, the average total return/year of the DJIA (Dow Jones Industrial Average) was approximately 9.4% -- 4.8% in price appreciation, plus approx 4.7% in dividends. (Some numbers won't add up due to rounding.)

Since 1929 (End-of-year 1928 -- i.e., before the crash), thru 2010, the return was 8.8% (4.6%, plus 4.3%)

Since end-of-year 1932 (i.e., after the crash): 11.2% (7.0%, plus 4.2%)
The average annual stock market return for the past twenty-five calendar years, was 11.2% (8.4%, plus 2.8%)

Stock market returns for the last 20 years: 10.2% (7.7%, plus 2.5%) [see below for additional 20-year periods]

Returns for the last 10 years, 3.1% (0.7%, plus 2.4%) [see below for additional 10-year periods]

For the last 5 years, 4.2% (1.6%, plus 2.7%)

For 2010 the stock market (Dow/DJIA) total return was 13.8% (11.0% plus 2.8%)

2010 year-end dividend yield was 2.5%
My point is privitization is not evil or squandering away our retirements. A system like the previous president proposed where each person controls their SS contributions would have been a huge step in the right direction. The whole idea that the government is so much smarter than we are that they have to take our money by force to prevent us from pissing it away, only to "maybe" give it back later is rediculous. It's not their money. It's yours. Never forget that.