Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2008, 06:22 AM   #101
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Assault Rifle Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
I didn't realize that assault rifles were available when the second amendment was written.

The Internet wasn't around when the 1st Amendment was written. I guess we should still be writing on parchment paper and not the internet.

Just an FYI, I am not making fun of you, just making a point.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:24 AM   #102
Tombstone

Quote:
I didn't realize that assault rifles were available when the second amendment was written.

Just as an fyi, I see no problem with law abiding citizens owning automatic weapons if they want to play with them at the range. I admit they'd be a little much for hunting though.
The liberal media wants you to think that all weapons are used for hunting. The number one reason people own guns including assault rifles is for PROTECTION of their life, property, and freedoms. This is the reason for the second amendment. If a person or government threatens any of these we have the RIGHT and RESPONSIBILITY to defend our freedoms per the second amendment.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #103
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
The Internet wasn't around when the 1st Amendment was written. I guess we should still be writing on parchment paper and not the internet.

Just an FYI, I am not making fun of you, just making a point.
LOL
Old 11-21-2008, 07:16 AM   #104
ahc4353

Francis, it makes me happy that guys like you are around to articulate what I'm thinking but fail so badly at putting to print.

Thank you.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:23 AM   #105
theycallmedan'lboone

I want da klugs to tell me he really wouldn't own a Tank or an F-15....
Old 11-21-2008, 07:31 AM   #106
atlharp
Microaggressor

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (1)
HUpmann
atlharp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
What does everyone think about the inevitable assault rifle ban. After this ban is passed do you think that there will be a slippery slope in regards to banning all firearms?

IMHO the government does not have the right to take away my second amendment right. My forefathers died for private citizens to own guns to defend ourselves from any threat both domestic and foreign. This is America isn't it?
Obama won't be moving on this until the after the midterms in 2010. Believe it or not, this is an area of weakness for Obama that turns the ire of the people against him. Obama will move on this, but until later. His first moves will be economic (and they will not included tax hikes either- more like bail out programs and tax credit incentives for the middle class). The next shift with him will be foreign policy to buck up his world image (he doesn't want to have another Cuban Missle Crisis). Tax Hikes and the AWB are issues that are immediate distractions and liabilities for his administration. This is too expensive right off the bat and will cost WAY too much political capital.

ATL
atlharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:57 AM   #107
atlharp
Microaggressor

HUpmann

Quote:

Just as an fyi, I see no problem with law abiding citizens owning automatic weapons if they want to play with them at the range. I admit they'd be a little much for hunting though.
Military grade "assault weapons" were available during the time when the second amendment was written. Indeed, the same Short Land Service Musket that was used by the British was used by our soldiers as well. Indeed our soldiers used them to "assault" the British and run them out of our country and back up to Canada or Britain.

The Second Amendment exists to allow citizens to protect themselves from their government. It's a great provision because it does not allow the government to gain imperium over the lives of citizens (like socialized medicine or punitive taxation) with the expectation that we have the ability to push back with the most extreme means. The second amendment exists so that we do not turn into a bunch of sheep (like Europe and Canada) who are made serfs and knaves with the insecure and pathetic promise of "free" healthcare and an assurance that their government will not throw them into concentration camps.

Americans chafe at the notion of being owned by their government and the second amendment is the explicit declaration that we will never be.

ATL
Old 11-21-2008, 08:02 AM   #108
atlharp
Microaggressor

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
At the time the 2nd amendment was written there was a definite and dire need to own a gun that doesn't exist anymore.
Anytime, the government can take me from my home and intern me into a concentration camp (like what happened to Japanese-Americans during World War II) just by passing an Executive Order. There is "definite and dire need to own a gun."

ATL
Old 11-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #109
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlharp View Post
Military grade "assault weapons" were available during the time when the second amendment was written. Indeed, the same Short Land Service Musket that was used by the British was used by our soldiers as well. Indeed our soldiers used them to "assault" the British and run them out of our country and back up to Canada or Britain.

The Second Amendment exists to allow citizens to protect themselves from their government. It's a great provision because it does not allow the government to gain imperium over the lives of citizens (like socialized medicine or punitive taxation) with the expectation that we have the ability to push back with the most extreme means. The second amendment exists so that we do not turn into a bunch of sheep (like Europe and Canada) who are made serfs and knaves with the insecure and pathetic promise of "free" healthcare and an assurance that their government will not throw them into concentration camps.

Americans chafe at the notion of being owned by their government and the second amendment is the explicit declaration that we will never be.

ATL
Preach on Brother!!!! We need more people that think like you in this country.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #110
Tombstone

Quote:
Anytime, the government can take me from my home and intern me into a concentration camp (like what happened to Japanese-Americans during World War II) just by passing an Executive Order. There is "definite and dire need to own a gun."

ATL
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #111
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
The liberal media wants you to think that all weapons are used for hunting. The number one reason people own guns including assault rifles is for PROTECTION of their life, property, and freedoms. This is the reason for the second amendment. If a person or government threatens any of these we have the RIGHT and RESPONSIBILITY to defend our freedoms per the second amendment.
Liberal media? What are you taking about? I make my own mind up and don't give a rats ass what others think.

And don't presume to lecture me about reasons for owning guns .. I've owned firearms since I was 13 and have more in my house than I can count on my fingers, thank you very much.

My POINT, which I will repeat, is that any "right to bear arms" was written with muzzle loaders in mind. Thus, you should not PRESUME that the founding fathers believed that other weapons, defined as arms, belong in peoples hands. So I get really really tired of that same old baloney when people talk about the second amendment in relation to weapons that were not even dreamed of in the founding fathers time.

Now, I believe that they do belong in the hands of law abiding citizens if they want to own them. And I also believe this assault weapon baloney is a joke. You can be just as easily killed by a "hunting rifle" as "assault rifle", there is no difference except in aesthetics (perhaps mag capacity too, but that is a minor difference). But this is not a belief related to the 2nd amendment, it is a belief related to the freedom of citizens to do whatever the hill they want to without government interference as long as you are not harming others.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #112
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Quote:
How many shots per second you get with one of those? Can you compare that to my Browning BAR .308? Now how about an AR15?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:09 AM   #113
Resipsa

I am sooooooooo glad I am staying out of this thread......
Old 11-21-2008, 10:10 AM   #114
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:

ATL
well said brother!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #115
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

were still watching.....tread lightly.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #116
ahc4353

OK, so did you here the one about the MOD and the Ak-47?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #117
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
OK, so did you here the one about the MOD and the Ak-47?
I thoguht it was the one about the MOD and the F-15?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:26 AM   #118
ahc4353

Right! I'm in the wrong thread!

(Don't you have a home work assignment due to me you should be working on?)
Old 11-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #119
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
Right! I'm in the wrong thread!

(Don't you have a home work assignment due to me you should be working on?)
yeah, was working on it last night till I posted my rant and went to bed
Old 11-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #120
BC-Axeman

I definitely think I need an A-10. I see no reason why someone who could afford it should not have one.

Francis, your posts were so well thought out and written! I am jealous of your talent to compose such trains of thought into words.