Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 04-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #1
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about
Default Moving On From Cobs

Hey fellas,
Just wondering how the smoking experience differs when moving from a cob to a briar. I've got both an unfinished cob as well as a finished one from MM. Technically I would imagine the finished one smokes similar to a briar since it isn't just a corn cob but I wanted to hear what yall had to say.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Moving On From Cobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnster View Post
Hey fellas,
Just wondering how the smoking experience differs when moving from a cob to a briar. I've got both an unfinished cob as well as a finished one from MM. Technically I would imagine the finished one smokes similar to a briar since it isn't just a corn cob but I wanted to hear what yall had to say.
Finished or unfinished, Cobbs smoke like Cobbs, not in the slightest, do they smoke like Briar. No Briar, of any grade, breaths like a Corn Cobb or smokes as coll as a Corn Cobb.

You, most definitely, should smoke a Briar, as well as your Corn Cobbs. It's the only way you will experience the difference.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnster View Post
Hey fellas,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
Finished or unfinished, Cobbs smoke like Cobbs, not in the slightest, do they smoke like Briar. No Briar, of any grade, breaths like a Corn Cobb or smokes as coll as a Corn Cobb.

You, most definitely, should smoke a Briar, as well as your Corn Cobbs. It's the only way you will experience the difference.
What he said!

And each briar can smoke with some slight differences too, especially at first.

For example, I have had no luck with a couple brands of pipes - they take forever to break in for me (if I even keep them long enough to break in), and I have nothing but fried tongue when I smoke them. Of a couple brands, I have not found estate pipes from them which did not fry my tongue. Of course, these brands have been around for longer than I have been alive, sell by the thousands, so they must be doing something right.

So - cobs smoke like cobs, briar smokes like briar, and in case you are wondering, Meerschaum smokes differently than either.

Hope this does not muddy things up too much.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #4
BigE610
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (3)
BigE610 is on a distinguished road

which brands have you had trouble breaking in? Im just getting back into pipe smoking and have a few briars and for some reason I always seem to pick up my cobs lately. I love how they smoke.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

Glad to hear from everyone, sounds like I'll just have to grab an entry level briar and get started!
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:29 PM   #6
The.Sheepdog
I Need More Pipes!

First Name: Bill
Trading: (0)
LGC AirForce (Disabled Vet)
The.Sheepdog is on a distinguished road

The more I get briars the more I like cobs. I have 4 now and two more on the way. They are cheap, easy to get, and easy to replace if you want to. MM cobs are just awesome in my view.

Now I will never get another cob made in china tho. It had what acted like chewing gum in the bottom of the bowl. nasty. Stick with MM.
The.Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote