Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 02-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about
Default Did I **** up my Humidor?

Well, I posted a thread because I wasn't having consistency, so I was told to use a sealer. I went and bought Dap Kwik Seal. Kitchen and Bath adhesive caulk. The tube says "Water proof" seal." Now, once I actually put it on my Humidor, I realized just how terrible this smells. I mean, this smells like straight ****ing poison... Which can't be good for my Cigars, much less my Humi. HELP, haven't I ****ed my Humidor?

This is the bottle

I put a single line on the inside of the lid.I don't have the tools to take it apart, and glue it properly, so I had to make due. I'm looking to upgrade soon, so if this is a total loss I'll survive I guess. I just don't want to trash my Cigars.
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Did I **** up my Humidor?

I believe most people who do this use clear silicone. The kind you use to seal a fish tank.

Never heard of someone using DAP.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
fencefixer will become famous soon enoughfencefixer will become famous soon enough

You want 100% silicone, what you're smelling is the adhesive.. someone correct me if I'm wrong but there's a difference between silicone and silicone adhesive.
How long has the stench been sealed into the humidor?
fencefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Caulking is caulking. It takes a couple days to dry, and it's completely odorless. That's how you tell it's dry, no more smell. You're fine.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

And DAP isn't adhesive as in glue, it's bathroom caulking. It's been around forever. You use it to set sinks and caulk in fixtures. It makes them stick, whereas silicone just peels away.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

fencefixer will become famous soon enoughfencefixer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Caulking is caulking. It takes a couple days to dry, and it's completely odorless. That's how you tell it's dry, no more smell. You're fine.
Not trying to argue - Silicone sealant and Silicone adhesive are 2 different things, no?
Old 02-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencefixer View Post
Not trying to argue - Silicone sealant and Silicone adhesive are 2 different things, no?
Silicone adhesive is actually better if he's taken things apart. In humidor work, they're completely interchangable.
Yes, they're two different things, but not detrimental, except for the fact that he chose bright white caulking that'll dry bright white.
Latex caulking is a whole nother ballgame. It'd work fine in a humi, but it dries hard, shrinks and wears out over time, so it's not ideal unless you're painting over it.
I think what you're after/thinking of is 100% silicone. It's just a sealant. It peels right off, kinda.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Correct. BUT..... Silicone and Caulking are NOT the same!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

SP CoastGuard (Active)

Quote:
You want 100% silicone, what you're smelling is the adhesive.. someone correct me if I'm wrong but there's a difference between silicone and silicone adhesive.
I put it on less than an hour ago, but instantly started to wonder what I had done. I don't have it shut, just so it can dry.
Quote:
So, using what I've used, it'll be ok?
Old 02-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

Thank you
Old 02-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks View Post
I put it on less than an hour ago, but instantly started to wonder what I had done. I don't have it shut, just so it can dry.

So, using what I've used, it'll be ok?
You can wash it all off with water, Smoke. Run water over it and use a toothbrush to scrub the rest out. Then go get the right stuff.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

ESPECIALLY because you did not shut it up, it should be fine.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks View Post
ISo, using what I've used, it'll be ok?
Yes, it'll be okay. Except it'll dry bright white and look retarded.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #14
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

SP CoastGuard (Active)

I'm ok with how it'll look, I'm not trying to win any competitions lol. So I don't have to take this off, unless I was concerned about looks, right?
Old 02-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Right. You'll be okay, Brian. This stuff dries faster than 100% silicone, too. I didn't see how much you gobbed on, but it'll be good in a day or two.
It will remain somewhat supple, so expect that. That won't tell you if it's dry or not. Absence of smell and the fact that it won't run when water hits it will tell you it's good to go.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #16
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

SP CoastGuard (Active)

Scott, you're the man! Now, I have a retarded Humi. hahahahaha. Oh well, life goes on. I'd rather have it look terrible and not leak, than the latter
Old 02-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

True that, brother. It's just little, you'll be getting a new one soon anyways.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #18
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Oh, make sure you tape up that tube of caulking or it'll dry up hard as a rock.
It's perfect for around the bottom of the tub, shower, and around the sinks. You'll need it again someday.
If you have a nail or screw, stick it in the end of the tube then tape it up with duct tape.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
ysr_racer

Quote:
Dude, send him his money back NOW !!!

Old 02-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #20
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

SP CoastGuard (Active)

Quote:
True that, brother. It's just little, you'll be getting a new one soon anyways.
YEP! If you're ok with it, I'll pm you a link and you can give your opinion since you're a Humi king?
Quote:
Oh, make sure you tape up that tube of caulking or it'll dry up hard as a rock.
It's perfect for around the bottom of the tub, shower, and around the sinks. You'll need it again someday.
If you have a nail or screw, stick it in the end of the tube then tape it up with duct tape.
Good call! Thank you! Totally forgot about the Tube haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Dude, send him his money back NOW !!!

?