Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you text Boswell's to make orders
That's a great idea, and it would increase my buying with Boswell's. 1 9.09%
That's a good idea, but my Boswell's shopping might not increase. 2 18.18%
That's fine for someone else, but I would prefer to call in my orders like before. 4 36.36%
Other option not quite listed above (please specify) 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
kzm007

Default Boswell's Ordering Idea/Suggestion

I have been on the road a lot and away from home. I have also been moving into a new apartment, and instead of a phone landline, I've decided to go mobile only.

As I am on a paid minutes cell plan, I didn't want to be making any 'unnecessary' calls, so Dan Boswell has been very accommodating in allowing me to mail in my payment, and when I had to verify some payment details, I explained my situation and he allowed me to text him.

He thought it might be an idea to purchase a cell phone for the business that folks without voice minutes, or someone on prepaid minutes like myself could use to text in orders or requests, if emailing or calling isn't convenient. I asked him if he would allow me to ask you ladies and gents what you thought of such an idea, and he would appreciate the feedback.

If you could text in your orders to Boswell's at your convenience, would that be something you'd be interested in?

Please post your reasons for or against the idea below; I will be emailing the results to Dan once the poll closes.

Thanks for any and all input, everyone!

Kegan
Old 07-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Boswell's Ordering Idea/Suggestion

I'm not familiar with Boswell's; link please? I'm only an occasional dabbler when it comes to pipes, so if this is a good resource, let me know.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

I think it'd be nice, but I only order from them here and there due to funds and such
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
kzm007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanithT View Post
I'm not familiar with Boswell's; link please? I'm only an occasional dabbler when it comes to pipes, so if this is a good resource, let me know.
Boswell's were the folks responsible for the 2009 Cigar Asylum pipe, our first. The website is:

http://www.boswellpipes.com/
Old 07-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
kzm007

Bump.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
Benwoo

TBH I absolutely loath texting, it seemed to be devised to rope the kiddies into the cell market. They have a pretty nice site, it would seem to make more sense to invest the energy and resources into some form of online store, whether it be directly on their site or an Ebay store for a quick solution. In the least a google feed which is free to get their products popping up when people search for pipes for sale. Both methods should help with their online exposure as well. Ebay doesn't necessary like it when you sell tobaccos though, and that method would have a bit of added overhead, but either method would probably be less then a dedicated cell line.

It's also great to hear they went the xtra distance in helping you get your pipe. That right there indicates a lot.

Chris
Old 07-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Alpedhuez55
Fat Bastard

First Name: Michael
Trading: (8)
SP
Alpedhuez55 is on a distinguished road

I do not think I would want to text an order. What if you send your credit card to the wrong #? And if you can text, why not send your text as an email from your phone? And from the store owner's prospective...can a text message be used if some dishonest customer tries to challenge a charge?

If he needs a business Cell then he should buy one. I just do not see a lot of people ordering by Text Message. And the money spent on the cell phone, could probably be put to better use by upgrading their website to include a shopping cart system for tobacco.
Alpedhuez55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
SchizoFilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpedhuez55 View Post
I do not think I would want to text an order. What if you send your credit card to the wrong #? And if you can text, why not send your text as an email from your phone? And from the store owner's prospective...can a text message be used if some dishonest customer tries to challenge a charge?

If he needs a business Cell then he should buy one. I just do not see a lot of people ordering by Text Message. And the money spent on the cell phone, could probably be put to better use by upgrading their website to include a shopping cart system for tobacco.
agreed, especially on the point of sending a text to their e-mail being simpler than buying a phone and paying for the service. Also on this point, I would personally want the text sent to my e-mail as a business person to keep a better record of the orders. Text messages are really easy to delete, but e-mails can be saved indefinitely.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
Benwoo

I wouldn't text or email a CC number, none of that is really secure. I know it happens, but I'd limit it or use a card that's strictly for online purchase and watch it closely.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
kzm007

I agree, I would much rather prefer a shopping cart system...almost all other stores seem to do it, and it's a fairly straightforward procedure it seems.

To be fair though, I would hope if someone is texting a CC number, they would make double. tripe-sure they had the right number.

But yes, an online store seems like it would be easier. I understand the Boswell's might be a 'traditional' B & M, but I was still surprised they didn't have one, or even a shopping cart of sorts.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
Dukeuni
RIP CS

Trading: (32)
RA
Dukeuni is on a distinguished road

I am not a big fan of texting in general, but I know for many people this would be a great idea. However, for myself, I would MUCH rather be able to e-mail my orders in. I would prefer that to phone conversations also (easier to e-mail a order at work compared to being on the phone making that order during work). So, for me, the best solution would be e-mail, with fast responses from the Boswell's.
Dukeuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #12
kzm007

The only problem with emailing is the transmission of credit card numbers.

We all like the idea of quick ordering, but we need a secure way to give our CC info, besides having to call, or having the time and expense of mailing in payment/payment info.

Does everyone agree with that?
Old 07-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #13
Alpedhuez55
Fat Bastard

SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzm007 View Post
But yes, an online store seems like it would be easier. I understand the Boswell's might be a 'traditional' B & M, but I was still surprised they didn't have one, or even a shopping cart of sorts.
I have been to Boswell's a couple of times. It is a three person operation. He could sell a lot more pipes online but it would probably mean hiring another person or not spending any time with their customers. For a small store...shopping carts can be a problem. If someone puts in an order for something online and they run out of it...you may see that person going on all the message boards trashing them for not having it in stock. It could work OK for their own tobacco blends where they have control over inventory...but the pipes are mostly one of a kind and inventory would be tough for them.

I shop at a couple of stores in New England that have websites...but no shopping carts. They both have my address and credit card number on file. When I want something, it is a simple phone call lasting about 2-3 minutes. Boswell uses the same type of system. It is very convenient.

And for someone who wants to have them receive orders by text message...shouldn't you at least place your orders by Debit Card? You are like the Cyber version of that little old lady who pays for a quart of milk at the express lane with a personal check.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #14
kzm007

I would be using my Mastercard yes - I hate personal checks, myself.

This was all Dan's idea, the texting, and my main necessity for it was I don't have a landline phone - I'm in a new apartment, I use my cell, and it's on a prepaid minutes plan. I don't want to waste even five minutes calling in an order, if there is an alternate 'free' method I can use.

That's why texting seemed good when he suggested it, and that's why an online cart or even emailing orders in sounded good when others suggested it - some of us are very busy, or there may be some other reason why a phone call can't be made conveniently.

Last edited by kzm007; 07-09-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
Benwoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpedhuez55 View Post
For a small store...shopping carts can be a problem. If someone puts in an order for something online and they run out of it...you may see that person going on all the message boards trashing them for not having it in stock.
This may happen but it would be the same as peddling anything online when there are many one of a kind pieces offered. At this point they seem to tag the item w/ a "sold" tag which works well. If they had an online store (less the Ebay store option I offered up earlier) the payment is usually not processed until everything is close to being boxed and ready to go. If the item did happen to sell out a simple email or call from them (Boswell's) could quickly clear up the situation, usually with out much fuss but maybe a bit of disappointment. I know people can be unreasonable sometimes. We face that anytime we deal with the public.

I also wish their business to increase, growth is the hope of almost every business, and the possibility of need another hand may very well be necessary in the future. This only means that their products and services are sought after. All good things Expanding their business doesn't mean they need to lose their family atmosphere and top notch service that I get the impression they offer.

I could see a larger online presence causing stocking issues in the fact they make beautiful pipes and they may sell out quite often. Hell I have a few of their pieces on my wish list now.

The online shopping option is a natural next step in the process and I hope they seriously consider it, which I would expect they probably have.

Ultimately I think I ended up steering this thread away from the OP's original question and I apologize, it just kind of morphed in a related matter away from his original inquiry.

Chris
Old 07-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #16
kzm007

That's fine, Chris. All this info is going to Dan Boswell personally, so he should theoretically hear all sides. I thank you for your thought-out and rational input he was so kind to me, I sincerely wanted to help him. So I came to you folks, who know good business and good deals best it seems.

I wasn't really considering ordering pipes when I brought this to your attentions, I was thinking more of ordering tobacco.

It makes sense to me that having a shopping cart, your card info on file at Boswell's, and keeping the inventory list current would work, yes? I'm sure they can hammer out details and present us all with something that makes everyone happy, and ultimately, allows their business to prosper as it should.

Kegan
Old 07-09-2009, 11:45 PM   #17
Alpedhuez55
Fat Bastard

SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzm007 View Post
It makes sense to me that having a shopping cart, your card info on file at Boswell's, and keeping the inventory list current would work, yes? I'm sure they can hammer out details and present us all with something that makes everyone happy, and ultimately, allows their business to prosper as it should.

Kegan
His best bet, if he wants to start an online ordering system would be to contact his Merchant Card Processing company. I used to sell them. Most have good systems already in place for it and will help them set it up. A lot of web hosting services also may have a service they offer, but those could end up costing more in the long run but could be started up a reasonable price. Might be a good option if they want to test the waters.

They are a great family and I am sure the business will continue to prosper.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #18
kzm007

Bump.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #19
Dukeuni
RIP CS

RA

I agree with the issue with CC information and e-mailing. I guess for me the best means to make my orders would be to call one time, talk to Dan or J.M., give them my credit card info and have them hold the information so I could easily make e-mail orders later on. A quick e-mail when I am out of Northwoods or Christmas Cookie would be nice. "I need 4 oz. of Northwoods and Christmas Cookie, just charge it to the card" That would be so easy.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #20
Dukeuni
RIP CS

RA

Question- Is Boswell's good at checking and responding to e-mails? Or is it easier for Dan to just use the cell phone and take in texts? Sounds like someone needs a Blackberry!