Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough
Default 601 Blue, crooked burn.

So I bought a box of 601 blues, and they all seem to have the exact same crooked burn. I've had 4 and even when the wife smokes with me we can put our cigars together and the burn angle is exactly the same. It doesn't require alot of touch up, but enough to be slightly annoying. I was just wondering how common it is for a box to have the exact same flaws for every stick, maybe they were all rolled by the same guy? Or do 601 just tend to go crooked?
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 601 Blue, crooked burn.

Isiah...as a true 601 Blue whore...I've never had a complete box burn "crooked". Maybe one or two...but never a whole box. And I've burned through quite a few boxes of 601 Blues. Still have 7 boxes left to confirm my theory.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Send me the rest of your box and I will conduct a thorough study and will get back to ya with the results.

But seriously I doubt they will all burn bad, but they are a handmade item with natural ingredients so I guess ya never know
Old 03-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough

how long has the box been resting? RH may not be even through out maybe causing the uneven burn..
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road

I smoked a 601 Blue last night, and my burn was off somewhat as well. I wouldn't quite classify it as a canoe, but it needed a couple of touch-ups.

I got a couple fivers online about a week ago, so I chalked it up as maybe needing more time in the humi to regulate.
TJtorpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

It doesn't make them unsmokeable, they are quite pleasant in fact. It's more of a slight inconvenenience, was just curious because they seem to all go crooked with the same angle. They've been in my coolidor at 68rh for just under 2 weeks.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

68% RH for two weeks? Give 'em a little more time. I keep mine at 62% RH and have a few boxes that are over three years old. Might want to try dry boxing a few for a few days before smoking them to see how they burn.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
68% RH for two weeks? Give 'em a little more time. I keep mine at 62% RH and have a few boxes that are over three years old. Might want to try dry boxing a few for a few days before smoking them to see how they burn.
Let them rest. Something else to consider is that correcting a smoke occurs more often that you might think. Try smoking slower, one puff a minute. But correcting an irregular burn is part of smoking cigars, get used to it.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
thecatch83

Agreed, I have smoked probably 5 boxes of these and haven't even had one stick that burned uneven. As with all hand rolled cigars, it's possible to get one from time to time. Strange!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Let them rest. Something else to consider is that correcting a smoke occurs more often that you might think. Try smoking slower, one puff a minute. But correcting an irregular burn is part of smoking cigars, get used to it.
It annoys the crap out of me to have one side burning even an eighth of an inch further up than the other, but I'm just OCD about my burn line.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

These ones burn about a half inch lower on the left side with the band facing me. I'm also a bit OCD about my burn which is probably why I noticed that they all have the same little quirk, it's not that they are crooked, I just find it strange that they are all the same type of crooked. Also this is only my third full box so I was curious if it was a common occurrence, I guess it isn't lol.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
trendo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Troy
Trading: (16)
trendo is on a distinguished road

I heard that moisture will follow gravity. I once had a box which refused to burn on the opposite side of the band. I flipped the box over and gave it another two weeks. I don't know if the flipping actually helped, but they burned perfectly after that.
trendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #13
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

I haven't had a 601 Blue in so long... I think my mouth just started watering... yep, it did...

Just be glad to have such a wonderful cigar. People get too bent out of shape with the burn, it doesn't matter so long as it get to the end.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendo View Post
I heard that moisture will follow gravity. I once had a box which refused to burn on the opposite side of the band. I flipped the box over and gave it another two weeks. I don't know if the flipping actually helped, but they burned perfectly after that.
DING, DING, DING!!!!!

We have a winner here! It is not uncommon at all for sticks sitting for a long time (unmoved), as well as new sticks (unstablized) to have a "wet" (or at least a less dry) side that will burn slower than the rest.

Rotate the sticks a couple times a week. Bet that will take care of the issue!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

Hmm I never thought about that, I'll flip the box over and let it sit a while. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #16
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Haven't had any issues with my box so far (only smoked 2, but the burn was tip top) good luck
Old 03-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #17
Reaver2145

Funny ive had this as well it seems to go from box to box at random and only effect the blues.

Though i smoke through a box of the reds in a week so thats prolly why.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #18
schollianmj

Man, I rarely have ANY stick that burns even with out a little work. I am constantly rolling one side down, touching up, or just saying fudge it and smoking that thing canoie... This is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable, not constantly timing my puffs and analyzing my burn pattern...
Old 03-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #19
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

I think I'd lose my mind if i had to leave one alone and let it canoe, I usually have ddecent luck with my burns though.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #20
thecatch83

believe it or not, the outside weather plays a huge factor in how cigars burn. Try smoking a 65-70% stick when it's freezing outside and let me know how that works out for you! Not a pretty picture!