Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 11-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
kayaker

Default Looking for a Wild Boar recipe.

I have been put in charge of cooking a wild boar roast for some friends. It is a Frenched rib roast. I haven't been able to find a recipe that has been specific to this type of roast.

I'm looking for something tasty but that will also showcase the meat. I've never had nor cooked wild boar before.

I'm also looking for some ideas for side dishes. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Looking for a Wild Boar recipe.

Smoked or oven cooked??? Have you seen the piece of meat? If so does it have much fat?
Old 11-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Scothew
CA Scott #2658

First Name: Scott
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Scothew will become famous soon enoughScothew will become famous soon enough

Only time i've had wild boar was at my FD during one of our boston butt sales. Our chief had killed it and he brought a small (4lb) shoulder up to the station and we hickory smoked it. Didnt have to do anything to it and it was great. Had a more "full" flavor to it over normal pork. Was a darker meat, slightly more exotic taste to me. I'd follow whatever Brent suggest however.. he's the man according to EYH'rs
Scothew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Smoked or oven cooked??? Have you seen the piece of meat? If so does it have much fat?
Oven or flame broiled. I don't have a smoker. I have the roast in my freezer. Doesn't look like much fat.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:04 AM   #5
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Id maybe sear it on the grill then wrap it in foil with some added fat in order to not dry it out and finish it in the oven. Or maybe in a slow cooker to keep the moisture up. Serve with some roasted veggies and some mashed taters!
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:12 AM   #6
kayaker

Thanks Scott,

That's along the line of what I plan to do. Any suggestions on seasonings besides sea salt and pepper?

The dinner is tomorrow night so I will let you know what I do and how it goes.

The problem now is that I doubt the roast is enough for the 6 of us. There are 7 ribs with enough for a piece each. There will be appetizers and enough sides for everyone, but we are big eaters. I think I should cook another roast along with it. Don't have anymore boar so I was thinking a matching size pork roast for the comparison. I was also thinking of a couple of racks of lamb.

Any thoughts or suggestions.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:21 AM   #7
DougBushBC

I would recomend a fruit based partner for the gamey wild boar. I sell a TON of boar racks and tenders, and they tend to dry out REALLY fast and are somewhat dry to the taste. A very common partner for boar is Cranberries. Maybe incorportate that into some side dish or a sauce for the roast.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
kayaker

Thanks Doug,

What do you recommend for cooking temp and time? I've seen recipes for boar shank roasts, but not specifically rib roast. Low and long seems to be the preferred way.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
DougBushBC

I wouldnt recommend the low/slow method that much for a rib roast. Not to say you dont want to give it adequate time to cook, but low/slow usually means 4+ hours under 200 degrees. I would brine it and cook it for 2-3 hours. The Brine might be key.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
Fishbeadtwo
Another nut j0b

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (9)
Bolivar
Fishbeadtwo will become famous soon enough

Where does one procure a wild boar roast beside self service in the woods?
Old 12-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougBushBC View Post
I wouldnt recommend the low/slow method that much for a rib roast. Not to say you dont want to give it adequate time to cook, but low/slow usually means 4+ hours under 200 degrees. I would brine it and cook it for 2-3 hours. The Brine might be key.
Cool. I've brined pork tenderloin before and was wondering if it would work well for this.

Thanks for the help.