Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation
Default Credit card thieves...

You know, I'm fed up with the thieves stealing my credit card, this is the fourth time in the past several years that this has happened. It's a shame that I need to monitor my card on a daily basis, but the latest theft hit me for nearly 1000.00 in the past 24 hours. Random theft purchases all over the US. I'm debating whether I should just get rid of the stupid thing and go back to checks in the mail.

Larry
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Credit card thieves...

Do you know how the thieves are getting your credit card info?

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I had someone charge a bunch of stuff to my debit card, I was pissed off because I called my bank and told them, they said "we have to prove it wasn't you", so basically YOU are guilty until proven innocent to the banks. The charges were for Direct TV, I said to the bank fraud person, well you have the Direct TV info, it was charges for equipment so you must have the name and address, I was told the bank didn't care, they aren't the police so they don't go after the people that are ripping off their clients. I was also pissed off at Direct TV for accepting a debt card that wasn't in the name of the person using it and they obviously didn't ask for the 3 digit 'security' code either.

WTF ... so yah
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Debit cards are completely different from credit cards. Debit cards offer very little or no protection against fraud. It also takes some time for any money to be refunded to your account. Most credit cards offer much better fraud protection. I've had a few credit cards compromised over the years, charges were reversed immediately and new cards issued and delivered within 48hrs.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Do you know how the thieves are getting your credit card info?
I have no idea. I suppose when I use it anywhere online, any worldwide hacker can gain access to it.
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

sounds like you may need to check your computer for viruses or malware, there's some nasty stuff out there

Just this last week I couldn't get rid of some malware called "ads by offerwizard" or something like that. It hijacked my browser and I tried about 5 different antivirus before giving up and just formatting - which was good anyway, computer feels so much fresher now.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Debit cards are completely different from credit cards. Debit cards offer very little or no protection against fraud. It also takes some time for any money to be refunded to your account. Most credit cards offer much better fraud protection. I've had a few credit cards compromised over the years, charges were reversed immediately and new cards issued and delivered within 48hrs.
I have to say, Bob, that Chase reversed the charges within 10 minutes, credited the account while they did their investigation I should say, they were actually very good about that, I was more upset with their devil may care attitude and with Direct TV. That being said I use my debt card less and less and cash more and more now, why leave yourself open for no reason.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

We bank with a credit union, we had a small charge show up for $129 to some 3rd world airline which didn't get flagged, then they tried a $3000 airline ticket purchase which got rejected even though it would have cleared. The credit union called us and we went through all the recent charges and they refunded the money right away.
I haven't used a 'standard bank' in years so I can't speak to how they handle fraund, but we've been really happy with the credit union. I know that policies differ between all banks and credit unions, but from the stories I've heard, it seems like the credit unions care a little more about their customers.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
We bank with a credit union, we had a small charge show up for $129 to some 3rd world airline which didn't get flagged, then they tried a $3000 airline ticket purchase which got rejected even though it would have cleared. The credit union called us and we went through all the recent charges and they refunded the money right away.
I haven't used a 'standard bank' in years so I can't speak to how they handle fraund, but we've been really happy with the credit union. I know that policies differ between all banks and credit unions, but from the stories I've heard, it seems like the credit unions care a little more about their customers.
This is exactly how Wells Fargo has treated any problems I've had. In fact if I travel so me where I'll get an automated call to verify transactions that are pending within the first day or two in the destination.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I have to say, Bob, that Chase reversed the charges within 10 minutes, credited the account while they did their investigation I should say, they were actually very good about that, I was more upset with their devil may care attitude and with Direct TV. That being said I use my debt card less and less and cash more and more now, why leave yourself open for no reason.
I have a debit card that I use by transferring only what I need for a purchase from another account, and only that much. If anyone else tries to use it, they'll find it empty and I'll get an email from the credit union.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #11
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
That's because they don't have customers, they're called shareholders. The nature of a credit union is that it's owned by its depositors, so they're not really customers. Our credit union has regular elections for president, etc. and every shareholder can vote. It offers more services, mostly free (of course you would pay interest on loans, pay for safe deposit boxes, etc.) and kept further ahead of the technology and security curve than any bank I know. Your credit union rocks because you, and people like you, own it.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #12
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Bank America offers a ShopSafe service where you generate a new number for just the amount you need at the time that charges back to your original. Works like a charm. Leaves little or nothing for the scammers.
Not my favorite charge card, but they are the only ones I know offering this type of service.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #13
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

I've had my card numbers stolen 3x in the last 4 years, and its a real PITA. Once was a data breach at BJ's Wholesale Club (hundreds of thousands of card numbers stolen) but the other 2 were simply a waiter or hostess writing down my information while charging my meal I ate OUT OF TOWN and then quickly sending it on to their criminal ring to do some damage before I could return from the trip. In one instance they were even able to manufacture a new fake credit card with my numbers and a magnetic strip in just a few hours! The lesson here is to never talk up the waiter/waitress and let them know you are from out-of-town, and use cash if possible.

BTW, all three times AmEx was superb at (1) identifying the problem before it got to far, (2) figuring out the place where the card numbers were stolen, and (3) getting me a replacement card in 12-18 hours.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #14
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Mostly I still just use cash. Is it a hassle sometimes, like when you have to stand in line twice to get gas at the prepay pumps? Yeah. But I don't care enough to expose myself to more fraud/theft opportunities than necessary.

Someone wants to rip me off they should stick to doing it in person, so I can shoot them full of holes.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #15
n3uka
Feeling at Home

Trading: (30)
Cohiba
n3uka has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
they are the only ones I know offering this type of service.
Citibank also offers a virtual credit card option.
n3uka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:32 PM   #16
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough

Had my card info stolen a while back and it was actually a fairly painless process to get the fraudulent charges taken off and a new card sent out. The bigger pain was updating all my bills and accounts with the new card info.

Best I can figure how they got the info was when I stopped at a gas station and swiped my card at the pump. It didn't register on the pump so I tried again and nothing. I moved to another pump and it worked fine. It wasn't until I saw the charges that I remembered how thieves use a device that they slide into the card reader to take your number. Next time that happens I'll make sure to let the attendant know.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #17
JoeCool87TC
Relaxing in Paradise...

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JoeCool87TC is on a distinguished road

Debit cards are every bit as safe as credit cards IF they are either VISA or MasterCard issued debit cards; check with your financial institution for complete details.
JoeCool87TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:41 AM   #18
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

I have stopped using the debit option on my debit card for exactly what is going on with you Larry. The bank told me that when you use the debit card option with pin number if it is somehow hacked it is up to me to disprove the fraudulent charges and no refunds made until that proof is confirmed valid. If you use it as a credit card you are afforded the full protections offered by Visa/Mastercard if it is one of their cards.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:28 AM   #19
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

You should go to another bank. My banks call me if there is something suspicious and I am never on the hook for fraud charges.

I also have to call them when I leave the country so they know foreign charges are mine.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #20
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoneycollector View Post
sounds like you may need to check your computer for viruses or malware, there's some nasty stuff out there

Just this last week I couldn't get rid of some malware called "ads by offerwizard" or something like that. It hijacked my browser and I tried about 5 different antivirus before giving up and just formatting - which was good anyway, computer feels so much fresher now.
As an IT guy this is the most likely cause. 2nd most likely cause is a rogue employee at one of the vendors you're using.

1. Stop using your debit card for online purchases unless you go throug PP.
2. Use an actual credit card instead as they have the CC company's money not yours, at least until it shakes out.
3. Go to bleepingcomputer.net and run ComboFix. It knocks out most any hijack type spyware/malware and it does it fast. It doesn't scan for hours on end. Only download it from that domain as it's so effective other have created infected versions and posted it on other sites.
4. Once finished with ComboFix, you may also want to run a longer MalwareBytes or Microsoft Security Essentials scan to pick up any leftover pieces. ComboFix basically fixes key parts to Windows but doesn't necessarily delete the infected files that might be laying around in temp locations and such.