Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Crossing the Border

I am doing my baseball trip again this summer and we are going from a night game in Detroit to a 1:30 afternoon game in Toronto.

Our question is in Detroit would we be better off crossing the border 11:00 at night our 6 in the morning? It will be a Saturday night/Sunday morning, 3 guys and 2 kids in a van.

Any suggestions?
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Crossing the Border

Going from Detroit into Canada at either time shouldn't be too bad. I've had to do the 6am a few times for work on my way to Toronto. There's only a couple customs lanes open, but I've only had one or two cars ahead of me. Seeing that it's a weekend also, you won't have the work traffic to contend with. Usually the bulk of the traffic is going the other way.

If you got time for a herf, let us know.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Going from Detroit into Canada at either time shouldn't be too bad. I've had to do the 6am a few times for work on my way to Toronto. There's only a couple customs lanes open, but I've only had one or two cars ahead of me. Seeing that it's a weekend also, you won't have the work traffic to contend with. Usually the bulk of the traffic is going the other way.

If you got time for a herf, let us know.
Thank you for the info. I would love to herf in all the towns. Our problem is we have two kids with us and are really on a tight time schedule. We fly into Cincinnati on the 1st go to a Reds game that night. Drive to Detroit in the morning for the July 2nd 7:05 game, then to Toronto for the July 3rd 1:05 game. Then to Niagra Falls for the night. Then Cleveland on the 4th and Pittsburg on the 5th and fly out of Cincinnati on the 6th. I do look foward to the day my stepson is old enough to herf and I can spread out the trip more.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I had a feeling it was something like that. No problem.

Going to the 7:05 game here, then the 1:05 game the next day in Toronto, that's not leaving a lot of time for sleep. I actually only go as far as Oakville for work. Even on weekends, the QEW can be a traffic nightmare. Are you going that route or taking the 401 all the way into Toronto? I"m beginning to think it might be best to get across the border in the evening, in case there's any hassle with customs.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

Bolivar

Planned on qew. If you have suggestions on a better way I'm all ears. We will leave Detroit at night and drive most of way at night. Get a few hours sleep in Toronto in the am before game.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:59 AM   #6
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

I've never gone all the way into Toronto on the 401, so I can't say what traffic is like. I do know they seem to be forever doing construction on the QEW, but the last time I was there (back in October) it wasn't too bad. Seemed like another lane was open. The biggest tie ups were the normal rush hour times. I think you should be ok at the day/time you're going.

If you wanted to stop part way between Detroit/Toronto, there's decent hotels in London, Ontario. It's about 2.5 hours out of Detroit.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (15)
Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post

If you wanted to stop part way between Detroit/Toronto, there's decent hotels in London, Ontario. It's about 2.5 hours out of Detroit.
London rocks! But I'm biased :-)
Old 03-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

It is a great town. I stayed there years ago when I had to work at the plant in St. Thomas.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

Bolivar

With possible traffic on the QEW, would we be better off getting closer to Toronto? I'm all for stopping, in London, But???

Hope I'm not bothering with these questions.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
RHNewfie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (15)
Partagas
RHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the roughRHNewfie is a jewel in the rough

Closer is usually better in case there are unforeseen delays. I have not heard of any major hangups on the 401 recently but better safe than sorry! If you do stop in London there are some great hotels off the Wellington exit, head north on wellington.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
Average Joe
Livin' the dream!

First Name: Name
Trading: (10)
Average Joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Deg View Post
Thank you for the info. I would love to herf in all the towns. Our problem is we have two kids with us and are really on a tight time schedule. We fly into Cincinnati on the 1st go to a Reds game that night. Drive to Detroit in the morning for the July 2nd 7:05 game, then to Toronto for the July 3rd 1:05 game. Then to Niagra Falls for the night. Then Cleveland on the 4th and Pittsburg on the 5th and fly out of Cincinnati on the 6th. I do look foward to the day my stepson is old enough to herf and I can spread out the trip more.
You're getting so close to Camden Yards and Nationals stadium but not checking them out?!?!?? Gotta visit those on the next trip!
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
You're getting so close to Camden Yards and Nationals stadium but not checking them out?!?!?? Gotta visit those on the next trip!
Definitely take the tour of Camden, its a nice yard. Went to a game at Nats stadium but havent taken a tour so cant comment if its any good.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:13 AM   #13
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

Bolivar

We go every other year. In 2years we plan to do the new New York parks , Nationals,, and Camden. When we did east Coast 8yrs ago, Baltimore was out of town. We did Fenway, the New Yorks, Nats in old park, Braves, Phillies, and baseball hall of fame.

I have heard those are two nice parks, but very similar to Phil, new StLouis, and Colorado. I love going and touring the parks and the areas.