Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough
Default el triunfador (Any Reviews?)

I'm contemplating purchasing a box of the el triunfadors for $150+ s&h, but I haven't seen any recent reviews. I have not been able to smoke one yet and will not likely have a chance to smoke one prior to the b&m which has them for sale, sells out. I've liked all of the tat's and Pete Johnson cigars I've smoked so far, so I'm thinking that it's a good deal. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks

Last edited by ade06; 02-03-2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: typos
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
barbourjay

Default Re: el triunfador (Any Reviews?)

my review from the site that shall not be named:

So heard Pete had a new cigar that didn't exist. Read an article on CA about how he didn't really want to hype this up as it would be a small release so i decided i would try a few. Saw that NHC had them in stock and ordered a box and grabbed a fiver from a closer shop. The box arrived today and the fiver got here Monday. The fiver was really wet so i let them settle a bit but just had to try one. The packaging on the box is pretty unique. Pics of the packaging:

Looks to me like the pigtails stayed intact and the box was very tight so they wouldn't slide around too much. Very simple but very cool to me.

So yesterday i decided to fire one up, here's it all laid out waiting to be toasted and fired.

i'm too lazy sometimes to get the images in full focus. i just take them when i have the chance. The first thing i noticed is that the triple cap is huge. I decided to cut between the first and second cap. Pre-light draw was just about right.

The first inch or so was definately pepinesque. This cigar over all packed a pretty good nicotine punch. The ash was grey and very loose. Flakes all over the place right now. As seen in the next few pics:

Did i mention i had to re-light it about 4 times? I don't puff all the time but i don't leave it alone for more than a minute. It might have been the FL humidity but i doubt it (it was only 45% percent yesterday). I think these need to rest and probably even be dry boxed but they need more time to dry up a little. The flavor was very good and had the same type of flavor i get smoking a cabaiguan maduro but with cooler and what seemed creamier smoke.

After about the first 2 inches the ash fell off onto what i was reading. As i said it was very loose. Shortly afterward i had to re-light.

Shortly after i had to re-light again. Here you can see the ash and how flaky it was

Finally after another 4 or so re-lights i was getting towards the end. The flavors were good and really complex. I tasted roasted nuts and lots of rich creamy flavors.

Shortly after it went out again. I was getting frustrated and had a decent buzz going on so i just decided to call it quits and try again later once they had more rest. These could develop into a great smoke. I wouldn't say it's a tatuaje black but it's close and almost just as ugly. At the price i think these are great. I still have 4 more and the box to go to find out.

My Opinon Now

they are great smokes and have only gotten better. still have the intact box but i have bought 2 5 packs that i've gone through. it's a very good smoke to me.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

I definitely liked the one I had... I'd go for it!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Nice review and thanks for the encouragement. I normally don't buy boxes of anything, but, I have been thinking about loading up before the S-Chip tax hits.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

First Name: Tattejuaje
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough

IMHO -

I would let them sit for a while at a relatively low RH.
I really enjoyed them, but enjoy Tat especiales much more.
They could use a little more dynamic flavors, which might develop with age, so they didn't rock my world as some other Tat, Pepin creations have. I believe they are a Cabaiguan with Ecudorian Shade Broadleaf, like the La Riqueza, which also didn't change my life. They are a nice change of pace.
My brother in law, whose a lancero-freak, loves 'em.

A good pick-up to have around.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
Gonesledn
making trails

First Name: Wes
Trading: (31)
Gonesledn will become famous soon enough

from what i have seen they sold out at that price. great smoke, i am on my second box since i discovered them.
Gonesledn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
renton20
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (13)
Bolivar
renton20 is on a distinguished road

If I could find them for 150 I'd be all over them
renton20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
Gonesledn
making trails

First Name: Wes
Trading: (31)
Gonesledn will become famous soon enough

http://www.arnoldstobacco.com/search/cigar.asp?id=532

$157.50 i just ordered another box.
Gonesledn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
greenwit

I picked one of these up at my local tobacconist. I don't like lanceros in general but the look of these beckoned to me and the salesman egged me along. Fired it up and I loveddddd this baby! Draw a bit tight at the beginning but loosened up quickly. Ash was a bit flakey on mine too but I had no issues keeping it lit. I just got an escrow refund check and I think I know now where it needs to be spent. More than half of my humidor is Pepin/Johnson so I figure I'm not taking much of a risk after just one smoke.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
HarryCulo

Go for it!! I loved this stick, its a Pepin/Pete Johnson limited edition special. My understanding is they will only be available once a year, around Christmas time. Starts off spicey, then smothes out after about an inch. Full of flavor!!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #11
Aladdin Sane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade06 View Post
I'm contemplating purchasing a box of the el triunfadors for $150+ s&h, but I haven't seen any recent reviews. I have not been able to smoke one yet and will not likely have a chance to smoke one prior to the b&m which has them for sale, sells out. I've liked all of the tat's and Pete Johnson cigars I've smoked so far, so I'm thinking that it's a good deal. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks
Shoot me a PM and i'll be happy to send ya one to try before you commit to a box!

Where in Baltimore are you?
Old 02-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #12
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

I think they are excellent smoother than most of the tats but still very full bodied and flavored.
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #13
Padron42
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (8)
Partagas
Padron42 is on a distinguished road

I bought 20 of them when they first came out and which I'd bought more...they're great, I would definitely suggest buying a box if you like other pepin/tat stuff. It's one of my favorites.
Padron42 is offline   Reply With Quote