Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation
Default Adoph Hitler's Anit-smoking campaign.

This is Hitler's (the real one, not Craputo ) anti-smoking plan. Look familiar?

http://constitutionalistnc.tripod.co...ftist/id1.html

Last edited by NCRadioMan; 06-30-2009 at 03:30 PM.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation
Default Re: Adoph Hitler's Anit-smoking campaign.

linky no worky

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Oops. Try it now. Oh, and this for information only. I would think that we are all for allowing the choice to smoke, so don't let this turn into a political debate.

Last edited by NCRadioMan; 06-30-2009 at 03:41 PM.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

I cant. The address is blocked by work LOL

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
Aldebaran

It is not that I agree with Hitler or the Obama anti-tobacco ideals or taxes but it is that if everything Hitler liked, thought, or did was evil a lot of stuff would be evil. Do we then look at the issues or public works that Hitler and the majority of many people alive today enjoy or benefit from and cast them down as evil just because one man supported those ideals or public works? No.

I could easily find some founding father or national hero who was anti-tobacco and use it as moral propaganda for reasons we should not smoke and then call smokers Anti-American because if X didnt smoke why are you?

Nothing against you but just that logical fallacy.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:45 AM   #6
renton20
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (13)
Bolivar
renton20 is on a distinguished road

This article to me appears to be trying to draw upon similarities between Hitler and current American anti-smoking policies. Though I am sure this was not the OP's intent this is an old idea that to me seems to be little more than petty name calling. In the most basic form this is the argument which is being used with much more sophisticated language to attach liberalism to nazism

Person 1: You have a bad idea
Person 2: No you have a bad idea
Person 1: Well you are a bad person
Person 2: No you are a bad person
Person 1: Well you are Hitler
[/End Argument]

This is just like a few years ago when all the idiots that I go to school with were calling Bush and Cheney Hitler. It seems that enough time has passed that people have forgotten what a truly dark section in the history of the world the rise of nazi power was. Tens of millions of people died. Not just the 11 million or so that were killed as a result of state sponsored murder, but the sixty or so million that died because of famine, disease and in combat.

Back to the subject, the article does a good job of documenting the anti-smoking movement of the time, at least the parts that were written by the author of the book, Mr. Proctor. Despite this seemingly scientific and objective body the article opens with a rather long quote by someone named Steve Fantina, whom I cannot find any information on. By far the most disturbing line in the article is at the end of the quote from this unknown author, "Perhaps the ultimate overlooked point of this work is the suggestion that Adolph Hitler with his anti-tobacco, anti-religion, pro-animal rights, pro-government intrusion would find success as a modern day liberal."

For me at least what ever else was being communicated in this article was completely discredited because of this quote. One could just as easily and with just as little truth say that conservatives are like hitler because they are pro-militarization and anti-homosexual.

I do not mean to cause controversy but this article offended me both as a smoker and as a human being. Comparing those who disagree with us and our cause to hilter will help no one, least of all us and will only serve to push more people away. We should win our battles because we are in the right, because no one should have the right to tell me or you what do if we are not harming society, least of all in our own homes and cars. I realize that this is kind of a ridiculously long reply to what I maybe should have just ignored, but I think that this is a strong community and I know that I value the ability to have interesting discussions here using civil language.
renton20 is offline   Reply With Quote