Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Candela- The forgotten wrapper?

Started This thread at the other place, but figured it could get a good deal of discussion here as well.

I was wondering if anyone still smokes these cigars? I recently got a small sampler pack from a friend, and have started to review them. Here's the first.

Cigar: Camacho Candela Monarca
Size: 5 x 50
Wrapper: Candela
Binder: Honduran
Filler: Honduran
Body: Mild-Med.
Appearence: This jolly green giant has a silky smooth wrapper that is very well constructed. Very few veins can be seen and its all topped off with a bright green cap. Other than the color (which reminds me of brussel sprouts) this is a beautifully made cigar.
Pre-light: I used a punch cut on this guy; I found the draw to be extremely loose. I know I would have to smoke this thing slowly in order to prevent “hot boxing” it. The dry taste was that of parsley.
Flavors: To sum it up in a word: bitter. The honduran tobacco ( which, to my taste is a slightly mted tobacco flavor and tends to be a bit boring) was over powered by the taste of a bitter, leafy sort of flavor. Reminded me of eating grass or leaves (don’t ask.) Honestly, it tasted like this cigar was picked too early from it’s blossoming cigar tree. (Ah if only cigars grew on trees…)
Overall: It being my first Candela cigar, the Camacho Monarca didn’t go over that well. Unless you like eating fresh leaves, grass, and happen to be a goat, then this cigar is probably not for you.

SO What do you guys think? Have you tried any candelas? what did you think? LEts get some banter on this!
-MJ
Old 02-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Candela- The forgotten wrapper?

I was actually looking into this the other day because I realized I had never had more than one candela. Someone with more info will probably chime in, but weren't candela wrappers huge in America at some point?

I've smoked one Camacho Candela and...don't remember anything about it. I guess that's a review.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionAndy View Post
Someone with more info will probably chime in, but weren't candela wrappers huge in America at some point?
I believe you are correct. Candela used to be the most popular wrapper a couple decades ago. Like baseball is America's favorite Sport, Candela was america's favorite wrapper.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
renton20
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (13)
Bolivar
renton20 is on a distinguished road

I've been wanting to try these for a while as they are almost the only camacho that I've never had. I've heard of these being the same blend as the corojo with just a different wrapper, if so I'm surprised that this was so bland.

Anyways, thanks for the great review MJ
renton20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Gone Dave

I have never had one, but I do know this..
1st- Col. Klink of Hogans Heroes usually pulls the green monsters from his desk top..
2nd- There is a special at "Tampa" for some curly heads, florafinas, and somethin' else but I cannot remember.. right now..
Old 02-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

I've had a couple different Candela wrapped cigars and none of them have been overly impressive. While I've never gotten the grass flavor that you had it's always been a very light flavor probably the best way to describe it is a weak tea flavor or green tea. I've never had the Camacho but thought that if there was a candela wrapped cigar that actually had bold flavors this would be it.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I tried a Felipe Gregorio candela once. It had no taste. Didn't make me want to try another candela wrapper.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Fuente's candela is absolutely horrid. So bad that I've vowed to never smoke another green cigar. Evar.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Fuente's candela is absolutely horrid. So bad that I've vowed to never smoke another green cigar. Evar.
not even a 'Game'? I think you would really enjoy this one Scott
Old 02-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I have had Candela habanos. Is Candela the fermantation method or actual leaf variety? I assumed it was just a fermantation method that yields a "candela wrapper".
Old 02-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
not even a 'Game'? I think you would really enjoy this one Scott
Not a chance in Hell. I have an Angry Elf in my humi. I'll keep it forever cause Papajohn sent it to me, but I ain't smokin it.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #12
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I have had Candela habanos. Is Candela the fermantation method or actual leaf variety? I assumed it was just a fermantation method that yields a "candela wrapper".

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong since this isn't a researched statement (at work) but I believe it's just a very young leaf that hasn't been cured as long as normal wrappers.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #13
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I think you just shot the photo using a green lens!!!

J/K

Thanks for the review!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #14
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Article about candela production from cigar aficionado. It's a little long but a pretty interesting read.
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...2,1251,00.html
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
Darrell

You use a bic?

I guess it does not really matter when you're smoking a Candela.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #16
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
I've had a couple different Candela wrapped cigars and none of them have been overly impressive. While I've never gotten the grass flavor that you had it's always been a very light flavor probably the best way to describe it is a weak tea flavor or green tea. I've never had the Camacho but thought that if there was a candela wrapped cigar that actually had bold flavors this would be it.
My experience exactly. Flavors of weak green tea, grassy, and not to my liking.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #17
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
You use a bic?

I guess it does not really matter when you're smoking a Candela.
Honestly I put the bic in there to go along with the green theme. I used my Ronson to torch the sucker.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:30 PM   #18
omowasu
Fell ROTT

First Name: Scott II
Trading: (3)
JL
omowasu has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIrish View Post
My experience exactly. Flavors of weak green tea, grassy, and not to my liking.
I have tried several candelas and none were to my liking. The Fuente Flor Fina candela was actually bitter, a flavor that I do not value in cigars. Other candelas were like smoking yard clippings. The only couple candelas I have liked were CC filler cigars.

So, bitter it is, and bitter I agree with.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:23 PM   #19
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

I love Camachos, but yeah, these taste like ass. I've had two other Candelas and yeah, mild, grassy, and bitter are seem to be the common qualities.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:13 AM   #20
Wanger

When my son was born, I gave Iguana candela cigars out to my friends who were into reptiles. I had a few of them. They weren't half bad, to me. A nice change of pace, and I thought that they had a rather sweet flavor to them. It's been a while since I've smoked one, and I know my tastes have changed since then, so who knows if I'd still like them.