Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #101
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Let's see those '11 gardens!

not really a garden, but when you live in base housing its pretty much all you can do.

Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #102
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
not really a garden, but when you live in base housing its pretty much all you can do.

Is that a tomato growing down through the bottom?
Old 05-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #103
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Is that a tomato growing down through the bottom?
Yep.
Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #104
BC-Axeman

The dogs tore up all the newly planted tomatoes to get to the fish meal in the bottom of the holes. So I spent the day yesterday putting up a fence because we planted a lot more. Beans, peas (even though I think it's too late), melons, onions, cucumbers, squash, peppers, eggplant and more tomatoes is what I can remember. I have a lot of seeds to plant too. Carrots, more beans, corn, beets, bok choi and something else.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #105
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
The dogs tore up all the newly planted tomatoes to get to the fish meal in the bottom of the holes.
My mom has similar problems with the bonemeal for her flower bulbs. But it was squirrels that were digging up bulbs for meal, not dogs! Depending on where you are, it's probably NOTtoo late for re-plantings. You might need to use some sevin dust later on to limit bug damage and extend harvest times as it gets hotter. Just depends. Vine wasps for squash come to mind off the bat. Good luck!
Old 05-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #106
BC-Axeman

We have had a long cold winter followed be a cold spring here. Everything is late.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #107
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Still too wet!
Old 05-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #108
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

The heat and lack of rain is starting to take its toll on the garden. We haven't had but a 1/4" of rain in a month or more. I picked another gallon of beans today. May have a gallon or two left growing, but I think thats going to be it on the green beens. I may plant a few more to see if they come up or not. May have a second run of beans.
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #109
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

Another gallon of beans and pulled a few carrots to see how they are doing.

Soybeans about ready to pick

A few of the cucumbers on the trellis

Lima beans are doing ok. Could use some more water.
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #110
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebayratt View Post
The heat and lack of rain is starting to take its toll on the garden. We haven't had but a 1/4" of rain in a month or more. I picked another gallon of beans today. May have a gallon or two left growing, but I think thats going to be it on the green beens. I may plant a few more to see if they come up or not. May have a second run of beans.

Those soybeans are looking good! Mine look pretty bad right now.

If your green beans were Contender, I read that they will not continually produce like other varieties. Contender was made to fruit all at once for commercial harvesting. That is still a heck of a lot of green beans.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #111
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if I mentioned or not, but I may get a little garden in yet. I had some pressure treated frames from shelves that will work perfect. I'll have three more when I tear another shelving unit apart.
It won't be much, but it'll be more than I wanted to mess with. I might have to get you guys to all come over and dig them in. I'll supply the dirt, drinks, food and smokes.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #112
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Beautiful carrots, Shawn!

Wayne, planted Kentucky Blue pole and Blue Lake bush several times. Both produced very well, especially the pole. I planted a small, new row every 2-3 weeks and they keep putting out all season. Quite delicious and almost more than our family could keep up with. Shared them with the neighbors. Japanese beetles love them, too.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #113
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Finally got my stuff in the ground. It was a late spring here. Lots of rain and cold.

(1) Parks Whopper Tom.
(2) Lemon Boy Toms.
(4) Early Girl Toms.
(4) Celebrity Toms.
(12) Jalapenos
(8) Green Bells
(2) Orange Bells
(2) Green Zuks.
(2) Yellow Zuks.
(4) Hybrid Burpless Cucs.
(1) Habanero

and from seed:
Spinach
Butter Leaf
Carrots
Raddish (a little late, I know)

Basil
Chives
Strawberries

Pics to come later
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #114
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Nice.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #115
BC-Axeman

Still fighting the dogs here. I will never, EVER, put fish meal in the ground again. That move is costing me a lot of money in fencing and reinforcement. I may have to go electronic next. Hours and hours of extra time spent that I could have been relaxing with a cigar. I need to find a "bad mood" icon to insert here.
On second thought, I could randomly trowel in a little fish meal in gopher holes around the field to distract the dogs.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #116
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
So I spent the day yesterday putting up a fence
I think some will hate me for this, but you know what costs the same as putting up a fence
and works better?? A little electric fence unit. You can get em at farm supply stores, and they
provide a very educational pop. Testing them is fun, too, haha. But if you hang little streamers or
cds from the shock wire, you can trun the shock unit off after a few pops and I promise you they
won't go near it the rest of the season.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #117
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Raddish (a little late, I know)
Depends on the radish type. You can grow radishes most the year. They mature so fast you can replant again and again.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #118
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I think some will hate me for this, but you know what costs the same as putting up a fence
and works better?? A little electric fence unit. You can get em at farm supply stores, and they
provide a very educational pop. Testing them is fun, too, haha. But if you hang little streamers or
cds from the shock wire, you can trun the shock unit off after a few pops and I promise you they
won't go near it the rest of the season.
Yep, that's next.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #119
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Quote:
Depends on the radish type. You can grow radishes most the year. They mature so fast you can replant again and again.
Lance, sorry to hear about your dog problems.

I am also planting the raddish's in an area that gets a little less sun than the rest of the garden so it should be fine. I hope.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #120
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I tore apart another big shelf and got me another two frames for the garden. If I get moving, I'll have a couple more. I'll have a nice little terraced thing going on. I'm stoked.