Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 12-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #21
BC-Axeman

Default Re: Sourdough bread

This bread will probably be real tangy SF style. I let the dough sit in the fridge for two days before kneading it into loaves this morning and letting it rise. That should get it really sour.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #22
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

That.......looks......fabulous.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #23
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

I've been known to throw together a loaf or two from time to time.

I've even done my own sourdough starter and fed it for weeks before it was ready. When he says it's a labor of love, it is really more like plain labor!

Just kidding it really is kind of rewarding when you pull a perfect loaf out of the oven.

Just had dinner with my wife's family tonight and made up a nice egg bread with a bunch of fresh basil and rosemary.

My grandmother taught me the basics of bread making years ago... Including the number one most important rule.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:22 AM   #24
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Reviving an old thread. Been getting into sourdough baking, like a lot have in these times. Did my first real bake (no added commercial yeast) this morning. Also first time using my new proofing basket. Happy with the results, but always room for improvement. Used a recipe and Dutch oven cooking technique from FoolProofBaking (search on YouTube).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BDFD4EEB-431D-4BCC-B4B2-1A0693380B75.jpg (23.4 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg 3245EAFA-729F-477C-95C8-CF81605CB524.jpg (18.3 KB, 520 views)
Old 05-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #25
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Bought a new cast iron bread pan last week, from Challenger Breadware. Got to put it to use with another sourdough loaf. Big improvement over the previous loaf. Partly due to a longer proofing, but also from the pan. Allows me to crank the over to 500F, without fear of cracking the pan. With the dutch oven, I'd only go to 475F. And the pan holds the heat a lot better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg challengerbp.jpg (105.0 KB, 506 views)
File Type: jpg sourdough2.jpg (107.6 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg sourdough2crumb.jpg (113.7 KB, 485 views)
Old 05-26-2020, 01:10 PM   #26
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Bought a new cast iron bread pan last week, from Challenger Breadware. Got to put it to use with another sourdough loaf. Big improvement over the previous loaf. Partly due to a longer proofing, but also from the pan. Allows me to crank the over to 500F, without fear of cracking the pan. With the dutch oven, I'd only go to 475F. And the pan holds the heat a lot better.
Bob,

Looks awesome.

My own sourdough improved when I bought Ken Forkish's book; Flour Water Salt Yeast.

His technique and instruction is great. And the story of his journey at the begining of the book isn't half bad either.

I've not had a bad loaf yet following his instructions.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:28 PM   #27
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Thanks for bumping this thread up Bob, working on my first loaf now with very little idea of what I'm doing, but looking forward to trying the results
Old 05-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #28
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Bob,

Looks awesome.

My own sourdough improved when I bought Ken Forkish's book; Flour Water Salt Yeast.

His technique and instruction is great. And the story of his journey at the begining of the book isn't half bad either.

I've not had a bad loaf yet following his instructions.
I’ll have to look for that. Always good to learn more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Thanks for bumping this thread up Bob, working on my first loaf now with very little idea of what I'm doing, but looking forward to trying the results
If you’re on Instagram, look up FullProofBaking or Jimchall for their methods. Jim owns Challenger Breadware. Has a method he calls KISSourdough. Keep it simple.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:17 AM   #29
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

First batch done, ugly as sin so I passed on taking a picture (think wide short and somewhat lumpy) but it did taste like sourdough, so I'll take that as a win. I know that I screwed a couple things up when making so my expectations weren't high for this run. Now that I'm familiar with the general process by doing it once myself I think it will be easier to compare recipes and understand tips online. Round 2 will likely be this weekend, looking forward to one day making a damn bread bowl for soup
Old 05-27-2020, 11:47 AM   #30
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

What process/recipe are you following, Ben?

I’m currently autolysing my flour. Went with 70% whole wheat white, 20% whole wheat, 10% dark rye. Doing a 75% hydration this time. Bumped it due to the extra bran in all the flours.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:50 PM   #31
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

A mix of recipes combined with unsuccessful execution. Knew going into the oven it was gonna be ugly, but at that point I just threw it in figuring I'd already used the precious flour. I just used it to make a sammich for lunch, tasted pretty good
Old 05-27-2020, 01:06 PM   #32
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Lol! I know what you’re going through.

Try this - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HlJEjW-QSnQ&t=595s

It’s a time consuming process, but it’s worth the results. She uses 80% hydration. I’ve found 60-65% gives a better, tighter crumb for sandwiches.

I just finished mixing in my starter, salt comes next, then all the folds/lamination.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #33
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

I assume it goes without saying, but alcohol was also involved

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out for sure. I'm fine with time consuming, aint got nowhere to be
Old 05-28-2020, 08:51 AM   #34
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

This was this mornings bake using my go to 24 hr recipe. Feed the starter yesterday morning, mix the dough late afternoon, shape loaves at night and into the fridge to rise overnight.

As you can see we all dug into one loaf already and is half gone. Recipe usually makes two 1.5lb boules. Decided this time to split one in half again at shapping and make batards. My shaping for them and for baquettes needs lots of work. Ha

IMG_20200528_104122 by kydsid, on Flickr
Old 05-28-2020, 09:00 AM   #35
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Looks great! Gonna give this another try this weekend, this time with more preparation
Old 05-28-2020, 01:04 PM   #36
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Nice job Jason!

This weeks bake. Bought way too much white whole wheat, so I gotta use it up.

90% white whole wheat
10% dark rye
80% hydration
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B0022FAA-BBC7-45D5-839B-A7418A9C3F52.jpg (8.0 KB, 478 views)
File Type: jpg 3827E78E-084B-4C60-98B0-3519DC019F84.jpg (24.2 KB, 494 views)
Old 06-02-2020, 05:30 PM   #37
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Whos baking?

Coming attractions of a sourdough baquette mashup I'm experimenting with.

Started yesterday making a poolish. Levain this morning using starter instead of commercial yeast. Will shape and proof overnight. Bake in morning.

May still use boules not decided.

IMG_20200602_183309 by kydsid, on Flickr
Old 06-02-2020, 05:37 PM   #38
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Later this week I will be. Still eating thru the rye loaf I baked last week. Going back to 85-90% white, to the rest either whole wheat or rye.

Can’t wait to see your results.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:14 AM   #39
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

I've played around with a couple things that have turned out fantastic (cinnamon rolls, crackers) but haven't tried bread again. I ordered parts for a makeshift proofing box which should be here today, this weekend I'll give bread another shot
Old 06-03-2020, 09:31 AM   #40
kydsid
Ditat Deus

IMG_20200603_084606 by kydsid, on Flickr

So this is the all natural french bread from 2 days of fermentation. Same base recipe as the loaf above. It spent an extra 20 minutes in the oven than the above loaf and still did not darken. Smells of french bread through and through.