Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 06-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #761
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread '09-'10

OK, I guess I could post that Colorado has become the first of perhaps many Big 12 schools to bolt that dying conference, and that the Buffaloes will join the Pac-10. Or I could report that the Hartford Courant yesterday reported details of an internal memo from 1999 which warned the UConn basketball staff to avoid contact with former team manager Josh Nochimson because the NCAA considered him to be an agent - which sort of blows a hole in Calhoun's assertions that the 8 violations presently being investigated were entirely unintended and accidental. But the REAL story follows:

The NCAA has ruled that the athletic department at Southern Cal "exhibited a lack of institutional control from 2005 through 2009 for a wide array of rules violations committed in its football, men's basketball and women's tennis programs." Their multiple penalties include:

A postseason ban for football in 2010 and 2011.

A loss of 30 total football scholarships over the 2011, 2012, and 2013 seasons.

A vacation of all football victories from Dec. 2004 through the 2005 season, which includes their national championship win over Oklahoma.

Acceptance of USC's self-imposed penalties on its basketball program, including forteiture of all wins in 2007-08, and a one-year ban.

All stats vacated for Reggie Bush, O.J. Mayo, and an unnamed women's tennis athlete.

All titles won during ineligible games must be vacated, and trophies and banners must be removed.

Forfeiture of wins in the women's tennis program from May 2006 - May 2009.

Reduction of recruiting days for the men's basketball program in 2010-11.

Four years of probation.

Bottom line? When it comes to collegs sports anyway, Vince Lombardi was wrong . . . winning is NOT the only thing.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #762
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Nebraska has become the next member of the Big 12 conference to flee, and will join the Big Ten as of July 2011. This will increase the number of schools in the Big Ten to an even dozen, so now THEY are the Big Twelve, and the OLD Big 12 is, for the moment, the Small 10 . . . and getting smaller. Aside from Colorado's flight to the Pac-11, rumors persist that Texas and Texas A&M are also "gone", as soon as the details are finalized.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #763
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Well, at least this is not exactly "under-the-table" shady, but it is kind of "in-your-face";

FedEx CEO is offering $10mil/year to any BCS conference that will invite Memphis to join. His son, a QB, transferred from Miami, and daddy apparently wants sonny to QB a BCS contender. The $$ will be for each year of any contract the conference and Memphis come up with, to spend as they please.

Wow! FedEx lays off about 1000 workers because of tough times, but since pulling their Orange Bowl sponsorship, can afford to get one person a shot at playing for a BCS school. If I were a shareholder or a layed off employee, I'd be smoldering right now. If this were still a private company, it would be one thing, but there are also shareholders to consider.

Can't say he's taking the usual underhanded approach, for sure.

$$$$$$
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #764
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Thanks for this info, Joe . . . I hadn't heard this story. My take? First, if the money is coming out of this CEO's own pocket, there are certain "moral" issues regarding the possibility that this may be seen as bribary, but it really is not much difference than any other major endowment a benefactor might give a particular university. If it is company funds, and does not include any "naming rights" stipulations (thus making it a legitimate business write-off, and thereby affecting the bottom line), your point about the lay-offs and stockholders being cheesed is certainly valid. And as for the amount itself . . . well, $10 million is big bucks to you and me, but split it between all the members of a BCS conference and it ain't such a big deal. But if this man's point is to allow his son to compete in the BCS, there's no guarantee that Memphis can do so even if they are a member. Shoot, when's the last time a Duke or Kentucky has competed in football?

I could see the Big 12 offering Memphis an invite in an attempt to save itself, or I could see the Big East and ACC making a nibble, but at this point I think the Big Ten, SEC, and Pac-10 are busy looking for bigger fish to fry at the moment . . . like Texas or Oklahoma.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #765
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

After a two-week courtship by the Cleveland Cavaliers, Tom Izzo has decided to stay with Michigan State. He could have doubled his salary, and perhaps been a factor in helping the Cavs keep LeBron James on their roster, but he did not wish to abandon his players and program, and stated that he wanted to be "a lifer" with the Spartans.

Good for him. Now it is time for Cleveland to go to Plan B, as in Byron Scott. Failing that, they may move on to Plan C, and offer Calipari a chance to escape a step ahead of the NCAA Infractions Committee . . . again.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #766
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

This just in:

Former Seton Hall basketball coach Bobby Gonzalez, fired from that position after losing in the first round of this year's NIT for both his own conduct on and off the court, as well as the conduct of some of his players, has been arrested for suspicion of shoplifting a $1400 men's satchel from the Polo Ralph Lauren shop of the Short Hills (NJ) Mall. Gonzo has already filed a suit against SHU for breach of contract, so maybe he felt that, as long as he was already in a Newark courtroom he might as well have something else to do to pass the time.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #767
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

More bad news for Kentucky fans: The coroner in Lexington has reported that former star player Melvin Turpin died from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. Turpin played for the Wildcats 1980-84 teams . . . which, as you old-timers may recall, might have been the very best period of college basketball ever. (Yeah, I could back that wild assertion up, if needed.)

Condolences to his family and friends, and to the UK community.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #768
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

And even MORE bad news for Wildcat fans . . . albeit Arizona Wildcats this time. The NCAA has placed UA's men's basketball program on probation for two years, has vacated 19 wins from the 2007-08 season, taken away an additional scholarship from the school (above those already removed by Arizona's self-imposed sanctions), and has reduced more recruiting visits over the next two years than the school itself had proposed. This all stems from former coach Lute Olson's involvement with a booster club and an AAU tournament. Olson himself was not reprimanded by the NCAA because he retired in 2008, and has suffered a stroke.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #769
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I'd like to bring the local, non 60 second newscast slant into the Memphis/Fred Smith story.
First of all, it should be noted and stated up front that Fred Smith was born in Mississippi
and educated in Memphis. He basically built the FedEx forum, one of the nicest BBall arenas
in the country, for the Memphis Tigers and Memphis Grizzlies to play in. He gives millions of
dollars to the UM every year. His son transferred to the University of Memphis to play ball
and is not good enough to start, not good enough to play 2nd string and my never take the field.
The UM has got it's hand out 24/7 to this man and basically looks at him with puppy dog eyes
everytime they need big money, like say when Cal fags out and walks to Kentucky. He put up
a ton of money to try to keep Cal from GOING to UK, but John was running away from his second
final 4-vacating scandal and PLAYED UM and FS like a fiddle, knowing he was not going to stay.

To say that he is buying his son's way into whatever these fly by night media dick$ have concocted
is a fundamental misunderstanding of the entire situation. Not capping on anyone here that
heard something and figured it was a funny thing to say, I am capping on the sports media that
fed it to you. If people get laid off at Fed Ex it is because package volume was down in a recession.
What a man decides to do with his millions of personal wealth is his own business. One has nothing
to do with the other.

Last edited by OLS; 07-30-2010 at 12:02 PM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #770
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I'd like to bring the local, non 60 second newscast slant into the Memphis/Fred Smith story.
First of all, it should be noted and stated up front that Fred Smith was born in Mississippi
and educated in Memphis. He basically built the FedEx forum, one of the nicest BBall arenas
in the country, for the Memphis Tigers and Memphis Grizzlies to play in. He gives millions of
dollars to the UM every year. His son transferred to the University of Memphis to play ball
and is not good enough to start, not good enough to play 2nd string and my never take the field.
The UM has got it's hand out 24/7 to this man and basically looks at him with puppy dog eyes
everytime they need big money, like say when Cal fags out and walks to Kentucky. He put up
a ton of money to try to keep Cal from GOING to UK, but John was running away from his second
final 4-vacating scandal and PLAYED UM and FS like a fiddle, knowing he was not going to stay.

To say that he is buying his son's way into whatever these fly by night media dick$ have concocted
is a fundamental misunderstanding of the entire situation. Not capping on anyone here that
heard something and figured it was a funny thing to say, I am capping on the sports media that
fed it to you. If people get laid off at Fed Ex it is because package volume was down in a recession.
What a man decides to do with his millions of personal wealth is his own business. One has nothing
to do with the other.
Thanks for the local color, Brad. And as for the "local color" I added at the end of your post, that's pretty much how I feel too, and said above.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #771
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

I suppose I could have posted a few other stories, such as Rick Pitino's extortion trial, or U-Miami hoops being investigated by the NCAA for violations, or even Kansas changing its fight song due to the flight from the Big 12 of some of their traditional rivals. But this is the story that struck me as potentially the biggest - and NOT because I'm such a "hater".

Chicago Sun-Times reporter Michael O'Brien has had lawyers from Kentucky sicced upon him due to his report that highly-touted high-school power forward Anthony Davis accepted $200,000 from UK to play for them beginning with the 2011-12 season. According to this story, he asked several other schools for 6-figure amounts for his committment to their programs. Those schools may - or may not have - included Syracuse, Ohio State, and DePaul.

It is important to note that Davis has yet to declare for Kentucky, or any other school, and there is no "smoking gun" here. And UK has, of course, vehemently denied the allegation. But it is also interesting to note that, when asked about the report, the young man's father replied by saying "Thanks for ruining my son. Thank you very much.", and declined to respond further.

Make what you will of this. Me, I'll wait until the $#!+ hits the Wildcat fans before I comment otherwise.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #772
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quick update: Anthony Davis has committed to Kentucky for 2011. Let's hope they get their money's worth.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:43 AM   #773
Clampdown
I Cut Like a Buffalo

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
Clampdown will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Quick update: Anthony Davis has committed to Kentucky for 2011. Let's hope they get their money's worth.
Sad people actually believe this BS.
Clampdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #774
Clampdown
I Cut Like a Buffalo

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
Clampdown will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
I suppose I could have posted a few other stories, such as Rick Pitino's extortion trial, or U-Miami hoops being investigated by the NCAA for violations, or even Kansas changing its fight song due to the flight from the Big 12 of some of their traditional rivals. But this is the story that struck me as potentially the biggest - and NOT because I'm such a "hater".

Chicago Sun-Times reporter Michael O'Brien has had lawyers from Kentucky sicced upon him due to his report that highly-touted high-school power forward Anthony Davis accepted $200,000 from UK to play for them beginning with the 2011-12 season. According to this story, he asked several other schools for 6-figure amounts for his committment to their programs. Those schools may - or may not have - included Syracuse, Ohio State, and DePaul.

It is important to note that Davis has yet to declare for Kentucky, or any other school, and there is no "smoking gun" here. And UK has, of course, vehemently denied the allegation. But it is also interesting to note that, when asked about the report, the young man's father replied by saying "Thanks for ruining my son. Thank you very much.", and declined to respond further.

Make what you will of this. Me, I'll wait until the $#!+ hits the Wildcat fans before I comment otherwise.
The internet has given a ton of guys big balls and insight when they had none to begin with. I haven't been here in a while, but it's good to see you haven't changed.
Clampdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #775
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown View Post
The internet has given a ton of guys big balls and insight when they had none to begin with. I haven't been here in a while, but it's good to see you haven't changed.
Excuse me? I merely reported what the Chicago Sun-Times published.

Oh, I get it now . . . you were talking about yourself.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #776
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The NCAA has slapped Morehead State with two years probation due to some very underreported contact between boosters and players . . . meaning I don't know exactly what happened, nor when.

Yeah, I know . . . "who cares?" Well, the thing that struck me was that the school avoided more serious penalties and punishment because they turned themselves in and reported the violations to the NCAA on their own. Thanks to their honesty, they will lose only one scholarship and will still be eligible for postseason play.

Here is a lesson others could take to heart. However, some won't.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #777
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown View Post
Sad people actually believe this BS.
So, here's the latest BS for you sad people to believe, actually or not:

Kentucky recruit Enes Kanter, a 6"11" power forward slated to be a part of the upcoming Wildcat team, reportedly received more than $100,000 in cash and benefits while he was playing for a professional team in Turkey over the last 3 years. Nedim Karakas, the GM for Fenerbahce Ulker, has told the New York Times that he has handed over banking and housing records to the NCAA, which is reviewing Kanter's amateur status. A spokeman and advisor to Kanter, Max Ergul, has not denied the accusation, but rather has equated it to being similar to a player who attended a prep school in the U.S., and received a scholarship and expenses.

Kanter's expenses seems to have included a $6,500/month salary during the previous year.

Of course, we can take this with a grain of salt. Not only is nothing proven yet, but as we all know, neither Kentucky nor John Calipari would ever, ever cheat. No, not ever ever.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #778
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

At long last, after a 15-month investigation and several extensions on their imposed deadline, U Conn has finally filed its reply to the NCAA regarding allegations of violations in recruiting, as well as their "failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance" with the investigators. And their reply? Well, I don't know. The university has released no details, with the excuse that the document is extensive and needs to be redacted before they issue any public response. The Associated Press has filed a Freedom of Information request seeking the summary pages of the report, and according to state law U Conn has ten days before they are required to comply.

So it will soon come down to this . . . U can Conn some of the people, but not forever.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #779
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

And the hits just keep on coming:

Tennessee head basketball coach Bruce Pearl has admitted he provided "incorrect and misleading information" to NCAA investigators looking into question about Vol staffers making excessive recruiting calls. The university is docking his pay $1.5 million over the next five years, and UT has ceded most of its ability to recruit off-campus for a year . . . all in the hope that these self-imposed sanctions will allay harsher penalties from the NCAA itself.

In his press conference, Pearl said "I've made some serious mistakes, and for that I'm truly sorry. I let my players down . . . I will not let you down like this again." He further stated that he had "no tolerable answer" for why he did not tell the truth to NCAA investigators during the course of the 17 months they have been looking into the program.

Hey, could YOU keep a lie straight for that long? Besides, it might just be a case of Bruce trying to keep up with the John'es.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #780
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Bad thing is, didn't he turn someone else in from another school on violations, before he came to UT?
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote