I Cut Like a Buffalo

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
Clampdown will become famous soon enough
Default Re: SEC fans, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
There's no argument that Kentucky has won more games, but I think UCLA, Kansas, and UNC might argue that "greatest" aspect. There IS a difference.
Haha, please tell me you're joking. Taken from Catspause.com

WHY UK IS THE GREATEST PROGRAM OF ALL TIME..
All Time Wins: 2004 (NCAA rank #1)

All Time Winning Percentage: .759 (NCAA rank #1)

NCAA Championships: 7 (NCAA rank #2)

NCAA Championship Game Appearances: 10 (NCAA rank #2)

NCAA Final Four Appearances: 13 (NCAA rank #4)

NCAA Final Four Wins: 17 (NCAA rank #2)

NCAA Elite-8 Appearances: 31 (NCAA rank #1)

NCAA Sweet-16 Appearances: 40 (NCAA rank #1)

NCAA Tournament Appearances: 49 (NCAA rank #1)

NCAA Tournament Wins: 98 (NCAA rank #2)

NCAA Tournament Games Played: 142 (NCAA rank #1)

NCAA Tournament Winning Percentage: .690 (NCAA rank #5)

NBA Draft Picks: 92 (NCAA rank #2)

All Americans: 50 (NCAA rank #1)

All American Total Selections: 80 (NCAA rank #1)

First Team Consensus All Americans: 15 (NCAA rank #2)

First Team Consensus All American Total Selections: 20 (NCAA rank #2)

Final AP Poll Top-10 Finishes: 38 (NCAA rank #1)

Final AP Poll #1 Finishes: 8 (NCAA rank #1)

Final UPI/Coaches Poll Top-10 Finishes: 35 (NCAA rank #1)

Final UPI/Coaches Poll #1 Finishes: 7 (NCAA rank #1)

20-Win Seasons: 53 (NCAA rank #1)

25-Win Seasons: 28 (NCAA rank #2)

30-Win Seasons: 11 (NCAA rank #1)

35-Win Seasons: 3 (NCAA rank #1)

Total Winning Seasons: 89 (NCAA rank #2)

Total Non-Losing Seasons (.500 or better): 92 (NCAA rank #2)

Total Decades With a Final Four Appearance: 6 (NCAA rank #2)

Total Number of Coaches With a NCAA Championship: 4 (NCAA rank #1)

Conference Regular Season Championships: 45 (NCAA rank #2)

Conference Tournament Championships: 26 (NCAA rank #1)

National Attendance Titles: 21 (NCAA rank #1)

In addition, Kentucky also has 2 NIT Titles (1946, 1976), 2 Helms Titles (1933, 1954), 5 Sugar Bowl Tournament Championships, 6 Naismith Hall-of-Fame Members, 3 National Players-of-the-Year, 57 1000-point scorers, and 11 Olympic Gold Medal Winners.

Further, Kentucky holds the NCAA record for Consecutive Non-Losing Seasons (60), and for Consecutive Home Court Victories (129). Kentucky also was the FIRST school to reach both the 1000-win and 2000-win victory plateaus.

And finally, Kentucky can boast having the nation's largest radio affiliate network and the largest television affiliate network. UK also can boast of playing in the largest BASKETBALL arena in the country (Rupp Arena).

Enough said....
Clampdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #62
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
I think back to the stories I was told when I was young. Years ago of when my parents were in college sitting in the empty stands in pouring down rain rooting for a team that barely won 2 games all season.

That is being a fan.

Maybe that's just something SEC fans "wouldn't understand."

This thread has nothing to do with being a fan. They don't teach reading comprehension in Corvallis?

PS: Tell Mike Riley I said "Roll Tide"...he'll understand.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #63
Clampdown
I Cut Like a Buffalo

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
I think back to the stories I was told when I was young. Years ago of when my parents were in college sitting in the empty stands in pouring down rain rooting for a team that barely won 2 games all season.

That is being a fan.

Maybe that's just something SEC fans "wouldn't understand."

UK has one the worst teams in the SEC yet we sell out nearly every home game (stadium seats almost 70,000). No matter the year, Commonwealth has nearly always been filled (http://www.ukathletics.com/athletic-...h-stadium.html). Part of that might be a lack of an NFL team in Kentucky, but the love UK fan's have for the team/SEC football would be the primary factor. I can still remember going to the Uk vs. Indiana football game in the pouring rain and wind. I stayed the entire game as UK came away with the 3-0 victory.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #64
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

So a car drove by me today with the following license plate - SECFan, with an Auburn symbol on it. It just made me think of this thread. If you're an Auburn fan, why not put that on your license plate? Why be a fan of the entire conference? That's all I really have to add to this conversation.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #65
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
Mike, with that line about "Sweet tea, apple pie and momma" reminded me for some reason of Lewis Grizzard. Surely another southern icon.
That man made more sense than almost any other I have ever listened too. If he were alive - I'd write him in for President.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #66
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantbejon View Post
So a car drove by me today with the following license plate - SECFan, with an Auburn symbol on it. It just made me think of this thread. If you're an Auburn fan, why not put that on your license plate? Why be a fan of the entire conference? That's all I really have to add to this conversation.
That's an easy one bro...nothing at Auburn to be proud of except the conference they're in.

Apologies to my good barner friends.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #67
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
That's an easy one bro...nothing at Auburn to be proud of except the conference they're in.

Apologies to my good barner friends.
Good One, Ritchie!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #68
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Not enough letters allowed to make it understandable? Already taken? Could be several reasons.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #69
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown View Post
Haha, please tell me you're joking. Taken from Catspause.com
Haha, please tell me YOU'RE joking - quoting Catspause.com for an unbiased opinion.

Enough said.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #70
Clampdown
I Cut Like a Buffalo

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Haha, please tell me YOU'RE joking - quoting Catspause.com for an unbiased opinion.

Enough said.
So, if one were to post actual statistics online, the shear fact they are on a rival site makes them false? I wonder if you believe half the bs you type in threads. If so, where is the ignore button. I guess reading the last score of the UK vs. UNC game on the site would thereby make it false? It's difficult to find bias when you quote actual statistics, the location of those statistics doesn't invalidate them. I didn't want to take credit for the hard work someone put in by posting the information. But, I understand the jealousy, UK fans feel the same towards the SEC powerhouse football programs.

Last edited by Clampdown; 01-11-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #71
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Part of that might be a lack of an NFL team in Kentucky
But there are plenty of NFL teams that are withing driving distance from most parts of KY. Indy, Cincy, and Nashville.

But I see the point in having pride for one's home state.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #72
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
You put "SECFAN" on your license because you want to support a winner.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:05 AM   #73
Clampdown
I Cut Like a Buffalo

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
But there are plenty of NFL teams that are withing driving distance from most parts of KY. Indy, Cincy, and Nashville.

But I see the point in having pride for one's home state.
Because I was a carpetbagger living in Lexington I can't speak for Louisville residents and their potential love for Indy. It very well could exist, but the Cardinals were a good football team several years ago and that might have taken some attention away from the Colts. So Louisville residents could be fans, I don't know. Also, there are fans living in Lexington that are Bengal fans but they are so in love with UK nothing compares. In terms of Northern Kentucky, they might love Cincy, but I would think their first love is college (maybe). As for Nashville, the city is over 3 hours away so their might be some disconnect there. I graduated in 2000, only two yeas into their existence in Tennessee. Perhaps a fan base has grown in the region of Kentucky closest to Tennessee. I don't know

Now that we are entering into conference games in the SEC, the excitement for the season is just now building. Good luck to all the SEC teams, except UT of course.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:10 AM   #74
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If you're an Auburn fan, why not put that on your license plate?
Because AUBFAN was taken already, plain and simple.
OR, they are a fan of the Securities and Exchange Commission. They must have received a bailout of some kind.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:29 AM   #75
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
OR, they are a fan of the Securities and Exchange Commission. They must have received a bailout of some kind.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:30 AM   #76
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #77
DavenportESQ
Vaya Con Dios

First Name: David
Trading: (15)
ERdM
DavenportESQ has disabled reputation

Mutual Respect...

I think it starts with the coaches, and players and once fans see that the players have respect for opposing teams it filters down to the fans..

Coaches and Players in the SEC know each week they are going to get a tough opponent who is going to "bring it" thats what makes the SEC the best conference, top to bottom each week any team can beat the other. There are no easy games
Old 01-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #78
Steelergar

Quote:
Because I was a carpetbagger living in Lexington I can't speak for Louisville residents and their potential love for Indy. It very well could exist, but the Cardinals were a good football team several years ago and that might have taken some attention away from the Colts. So Louisville residents could be fans, I don't know. only two yeas into their existence in Tennessee. Perhaps a fan base has grown in the region of Kentucky closest to Tennessee. I don't know.
Just like most cities without a NFL team there are many Steelers fans in Louisville. I have family that live there and its known as Penntucky when it comes to the NFL. You have to figure the bengals have sucked the majority of their franchise and up until Peyton came so have the colts. The titans are still a relatively new franchise in the area. Steelers fans are everywhere which if watch the bengals games when their not winning you will see alot of black and gold in their stadium.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #79
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
As for Nashville, the city is over 3 hours away so their might be some disconnect there. I graduated in 2000, only two yeas into their existence in Tennessee. Perhaps a fan base has grown in the region of Kentucky closest to Tennessee. I don't know
Big fanbase in Southern KY. WKU is only an hour away from Nashville, and the KY/TN state line is only 20 minutes from the city limits. But WKU fans hate UK.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #80
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Conferences cheer for their conference. Atleast the smaller ones do. As a former MAC athlete I will always cheer for MAC teams when they play any school from any other conference (except maybe WMU ). It always reflects well on your conference when they beat a team from a different conference. When a Big T11n school gets beat by a MAC school it looks great for everyone not just the team who won.

Ask Boise or TCU fans the same thing about WAC or Mountain West teams beating BCS opponents and whether not it reflects well on the conference.