Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #41
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: SEC fans, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
The SEC is the best conference in the south.
Not in basketball.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #42
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
I'll give you a take, but like others have said, you won't understand. And to borrow from you, flame suit on here as well...

First of all, I don't root for everyone in the SEC as there are bitter rivalries that have existed since long before my birth. Many teams in the SEC--I couldn't care less if they lost every game, but I do respect their programs and what they do and have accomplished. And when so many of those teams consistently do well it makes us all look good. And we are good. We're the best. Insert old saying--to be the best you have to beat the best.

That being said, this question generally comes from fans whose teams and conferences blow. How could you, as a fan of a team that blows, in a conference whose teams blow, be proud of that conference? You can't. And that's why this question even comes up. Jealousy and reality.

And to say there is no Southern Pride invloved would simply be a falsehood. Southerners, stereotypically and wrongly, get looked down upon by the rest of the country. You can argue that all you want but it's true and you know it. You WILL NOT look down upon us for our college football. And we will let you know that.

Why aren't we proud of ALL Southern schools? Hell, we just let Vandy hang around because somebody in the bunch needs some brains.

I'm gonna stop here... and I almost deleted this whole post. I could write a dissertation on it, but like has been said before, you wouldn't understand.

I think back to the stories I was told when I was young. Years ago of when my parents were in college sitting in the empty stands in pouring down rain rooting for a team that barely won 2 games all season.

That is being a fan.

Maybe that's just something SEC fans "wouldn't understand."

JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #43
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmancbr View Post
Makes perfect sense to me Tom and that's exactly how I think most conference people see it as well...
Thank goodness I am making sense to someone, Zach!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #44
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Ahhhh, it's only a game. Everyone relax and enjoy some "Southern hospitality"! I'm not a fan of the SEC, but it's all in good fun. It seems as if the NFL and MLB (my two passions) aren't near as emotional as NCAA rivalries... I just can't get into college sports since I was in middle school. I was a MAJOR DUKE fan when they Three-peated back in the early nineties, but I had a reason to root for them back then. I could care less about any college team nowadays. (My college just started their football program last year and are Division II, which no one gives a flying fugg about). Go UNCP!!!

University of North Carolina at Pembroke Braves!!!!!!

Insert quote here.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:27 AM   #45
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Not in basketball.
i of course meant the SEC was the best conference in football......which is the only sport that matters in the South
Old 01-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #46
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFPowersmoker320 View Post
i of course meant the SEC was the best conference in football......which is the only sport that matters in the South
... except in Kentucky!!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:49 AM   #47
Powers

Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
... except in Kentucky!!
yeah but those loonies sided w/the North in the Civil War so i don't like to count 'em

Old 01-09-2010, 07:36 AM   #48
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
yeah but those loonies sided w/the North in the Civil War so i don't like to count 'em

True that !!
Old 01-09-2010, 07:39 AM   #49
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

The South Sticks Together! BTW, I Attended A Texas/Baylor Game In Austin Several Years Ago & The Texas Fans Behind Me Agreed The SEC Is "The" Toughest Conference To Play In!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #50
Clampdown
I Cut Like a Buffalo

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
Clampdown will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Not in basketball.
But the SEC does have the greatest basketball program, end of story.
Clampdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:29 PM   #51
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
The only sport that matters in the South is racing.
Quote:
... except in Kentucky!!
...and North Carolina. College Basketball is huge here.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #52
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
I think back to the stories I was told when I was young. Years ago of when my parents were in college sitting in the empty stands in pouring down rain rooting for a team that barely won 2 games all season.

That is being a fan.

Maybe that's just something SEC fans "wouldn't understand."

I hate to disagree with that, but the gator fans know exactly what that's like. Granted it's been a while, but they know.

I got your back Brent.
G G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #53
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
... except in Kentucky!!
Or North Carolina.

And since when is Kentucky in the South - except for Kentuckians, anyway.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #54
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown View Post
But the SEC does have the greatest basketball program, end of story.
There's no argument that Kentucky has won more games, but I think UCLA, Kansas, and UNC might argue that "greatest" aspect. There IS a difference.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #55
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Three reasons.

1. It's called respecting your conference rivals. There are very seldom any easy conference games.

2. It's because the SEC is the best college football conference as proven by the number of BCS Championships SEC teams have won.

3. It's because we're tired of always having USC shoved to the top by the sports media because it's the glamour program and we're tired of always having freaking Notre Dame on the TV every weekend. Notre (when did we last have a winning season) Dame football is not a powerhouse.

And here's one more thing to consider:
"I can pick on my brother but if you pick on him, I'll whip you ..."
That's the attitude that I see a lot here in the south when it comes to football.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #56
Steelergar

I was born in PA then raised in Raleigh and Pittsburgh and after high school moved back to the south for 10 years now and I'll tell you the SEC is a institution here(SC). Theres a big clemson USC rivalry here but even Clemson fans will admit the SEC is the best conference. Like people said above its a southern pride thing and the SEC is the cream of the crop conference of the south. You have to figure also that until recently there were not many NFL teams in the south so college football is king down here and for some reason college baseball is brodcast on local radio. And sorry but alot of people born and raised in SC think anybody north of SC is a yankee which I think is funny. And I bet they would think its funny someone from DC thinks their a southerner. To get into the southern pride thing I attended high school in Pittsburgh and College in the south and the American history lesson for the civil war and are very different between the two (as for reasons fought.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #57
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelergar View Post
its funny someone from DC thinks their a southerner.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #58
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelergar View Post
To get into the southern pride thing I attended high school in Pittsburgh and College in the south and the American history lesson for the civil war and are very different between the two (as for reasons fought.

History is written by the winners, not the losers, so the Sothern cause has been very distorted. We're not all a bunch of racists and bigots down here.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #59
Powers

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
Three reasons.

1. It's called respecting your conference rivals. There are very seldom any easy conference games.

2. It's because the SEC is the best college football conference as proven by the number of BCS Championships SEC teams have won.

3. It's because we're tired of always having USC shoved to the top by the sports media because it's the glamour program and we're tired of always having freaking Notre Dame on the TV every weekend. Notre (when did we last have a winning season) Dame football is not a powerhouse.

And here's one more thing to consider:
"I can pick on my brother but if you pick on him, I'll whip you ..."
That's the attitude that I see a lot here in the south when it comes to football.

awesome points all around. Agree 100%, especially with the hatred for Notre Dame
Old 01-11-2010, 07:22 AM   #60
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I am sorry, I was doing something else. I know you ALL wanted to hear MY take on this LOL.
I also disagree with the OP, chanting SEC, SEC, SEC is like chanting USA,USA,USA at
the Olympics. When LSU ends up out of it, I can still watch football cause someone in the SEC
is still in it. I like the style of football that you get down here. But I HATE FLORIDA, everyone knows it,
and in the first quarter of the Sugar Bowl, when the back in the backfield makes this jerking motion, and
NO FLAG is thrown, and they gain 11 yards or something, I turned it off, cause it was just more of the
same crap that I got in trouble over during the season. I like Alabama, have since I was a kid, but I am an LSU
fan. So I watched the first half of the Champ game, but grew tired of "four plays and a commercial". and with
McCoy out, there was no drama left. But I live in Tennessee and hate UT, I think Vandy is boring, Georgia I always had alot of respect for and could watch, but something ruined it for me here. Auburn I can watch, I like Arkansas,
but UK bores me, as does USC. But when the SEC beats a team out of conference, I still have pride
in their SEC-ness. This is why I was surprised they got their a$$ handed to em so much this year. Really surprised.

As for "hating Florida" I still admire and respect their fans here, and alot of it has to do with the fact that
they come into Baton Rouge and take a severe heckling, and some would claim a shower of beer or beer
bottles, but they still have fun...and they SAY they had fun. That may be a LA thing, but like Power said
we respect each other...except for Vandy, lol.

Last edited by OLS; 01-11-2010 at 07:29 AM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote