Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #21
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cigar of the Year 2009 is....

I think it's important to keep in mind that the Family Reserve is a special, limited release cigar and that's part of what you're paying for. sure, it may taste identical to a 64, but taste isn't the only factor that can determine a cigar's worth.

In the lower price ranges, it's easy to say, "this $6 cigar is twice as good as this $3 cigar" because you can taste the difference in quality. but when you are talking about a premium cigar vs. a limited release, I think it's unfair to make the same comparison. If you have the expectation that a $25 Padron should taste twice as a good as a $12 64 ani, you will surely be disappointed.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with paying more for special releases either. and it may impossible to quantify, but there is definitely an extra little bit of excitement/enjoyment you get out of smoking a special cigar.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #22
Brooks W
Feeling at Home

Trading: (70)
Brooks W has a spectacular aura aboutBrooks W has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleF View Post
Hmmmmmmm. Well ain't you a bigshot?

BTW, I bought 2 of 'em just before EPIC HERF II. We did a Puff Puff Pass. Wasn't impressed. Don't think anybody really was.
I disagree.

The 45th maduro is the best Padron I have smoked (better then the '64, albeit not by much) and is WELL worth the money they are charging. It is truly the total package. (and is #2 in MY cigar of the year list)...

Is it an everyday stick? Of course not. But as a special stick to pull out every once in a while, it is wonderful...

Just my humble opinion, of course...

~brooks
Brooks W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #23
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks W View Post
I disagree.

The 45th maduro is the best Padron I have smoked (better then the '64, albeit not by much) and is WELL worth the money they are charging. It is truly the total package. (and is #2 in MY cigar of the year list)...
If it's not better than the '64 by much, then why such a price difference? I can get '64 Principes for around $8, but I am not paying $25 for a cigar that is only a bit of an upgrade from the '64.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #24
Brooks W
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
If it's not better than the '64 by much, then why such a price difference? I can get '64 Principes for around $8, but I am not paying $25 for a cigar that is only a bit of an upgrade from the '64.
Because it IS better, (again, IMHO) and you pay for that....

**Shrug**

~brooks
Old 01-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #25
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks W View Post
Because it IS better, (again, IMHO) and you pay for that....

**Shrug**

~brooks
But a little bit better is not $17 worth to me. If I'm going to pay an extra $17 it better be a WHOLE LOT better. Not knocking it, just wondering.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #26
Brooks W
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
But a little bit better is not $17 worth to me. If I'm going to pay an extra $17 it better be a WHOLE LOT better. Not knocking it, just wondering.
No worries, that is what makes the world go round

~brooks
Old 01-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #27
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I think it's important to keep in mind that the Family Reserve is a special, limited release cigar and that's part of what you're paying for. sure, it may taste identical to a 64, but taste isn't the only factor that can determine a cigar's worth.

In the lower price ranges, it's easy to say, "this $6 cigar is twice as good as this $3 cigar" because you can taste the difference in quality. but when you are talking about a premium cigar vs. a limited release, I think it's unfair to make the same comparison. If you have the expectation that a $25 Padron should taste twice as a good as a $12 64 ani, you will surely be disappointed.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with paying more for special releases either. and it may impossible to quantify, but there is definitely an extra little bit of excitement/enjoyment you get out of smoking a special cigar.
But does that warrant making it the cigar of the year? If it's so close to the profile of another cigar?

Insert quote here.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #28
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

This is on my list to try
jmsremax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #29
Steelergar

At least it wasn't casa magna that stuff was garbage. The best cigar I tried this year was a Diamond Crown Maximus I got in a blind taste test.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #30
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

As with most stuff, as you head toward the higher end, you're probably going to hit a point of diminishing returns. The better stuff is, the less room is left for improvement and the more expense is required to find/facilitate that improvement. A $40k Ducati "R" is not going to perform 300% as well as a $13k standard Ducati; it's going to perform 118% as well.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #31
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
As with most stuff, as you head toward the higher end, you're probably going to hit a point of diminishing returns. The better stuff is, the less room is left for improvement and the more expense is required to find/facilitate that improvement. A $40k Ducati "R" is not going to perform 300% as well as a $13k standard Ducati; it's going to perform 118% as well.
My expertise in cigars isn't nearly as great as in cars/bikes but I will say the money you spend on a limited production vehicle/bike will appreciate. Your standard duc or any other vehicle will probably depreciate. The extra performance isn't why people buy these rare toys. Just my

Sorry for jumping off topic a bit.
jmsremax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #32
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaDooley View Post
Read the email this mornin. 25.00 per stick... A 5er of Padrons or a box of cc,s. Tough choice.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #33
Clampdown
I Cut Like a Buffalo

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
Clampdown will become famous soon enough

This list and how they come about choosing is one of the many reason I don't even waste my time with that magazine.
Clampdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #34
duckmanco
Can't stop whats coming

Location: that forsaken stretch of wood they call Whiskey Grove
Trading: (10)
duckmanco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaDooley View Post
Read the email this mornin. 25.00 per stick... A 5er of Padrons or a box of cc,s. Tough choice.
This is getting outright ridiculous... $25.00 cigars in this economy should read like a slap in the face IMO. I know I'll catch hell for this opinion, and there is always someone willing to justify these prices for any number of stupid reasons, but to me, this ain't what the Padron brand used to represent. Of course, they still have their classic line and its somewhat fairly priced, but still.... at some point its just leaves...
Old 01-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #35
RazzBarlow

My local B&M had these recently and I'm a big fan of the Padrons, so I just had to try it. But I didn't pay $25.00...I paid $39.95. (California Tobacco taxes, Cigar "Lounge" markup etc...)

I'm a relative cigar noob and I don't have the sophisticated palate that I read about in some of the cigar reviews. But I know what I like and it was a damned fine smoke! I'm not itching to run out and drop another 40 bucks on one! There are several $10 and under sticks that I want to try first. But to pay 40 bucks for a 2 hour pleasurable experience? Yeah, it was worth it.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #36
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Trading: (23)
chenvt will become famous soon enough

Most overrated cigar magazine top 10 list is.....

Cigar Aficionado
chenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #37
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazzBarlow View Post
My local B&M had these recently and I'm a big fan of the Padrons, so I just had to try it. But I didn't pay $25.00...I paid $39.95. (California Tobacco taxes, Cigar "Lounge" markup etc...)

I'm a relative cigar noob and I don't have the sophisticated palate that I read about in some of the cigar reviews. But I know what I like and it was a damned fine smoke! I'm not itching to run out and drop another 40 bucks on one! There are several $10 and under sticks that I want to try first. But to pay 40 bucks for a 2 hour pleasurable experience? Yeah, it was worth it.
More power to ya, Marshall.

Insert quote here.