Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
JohnRogers
I Still Ash On My Self

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
AirForce (Active)
JohnRogers is on a distinguished road
Default Opening a Cigar Lounge

Well inmates I'm opening a cigar lounge soon, I know some of you just rolled your eyes. No this is not an idea, a concept, a plan or pipe dream. I have a location and funding, I should be selling my first cigars before the fall season is over. I'm in that first 100 days and would like to ask questions and have your opinions in this thread. So to begin...

Cigarette smoking, I'm leaning toward signage and such saying "Please Refrain from Cigarette Smoking". Thoughts? What is the policy at your favorite lounge?
Old 10-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Opening a Cigar Lounge

I am not sure I have see any "no cigarette smoking" signs in any on the B&M lounges in my area, John, but I can't remember seeing anyone smoking cigarettes there either.

Will you be allowed to sell alcohol in your lounge? You may be forfeiting some sales with an anti-cigarette policy if that's the case. If it is strictly a cigar lounge with soft drinks and coffee, then I wouldn't think it could hurt you at all.

P.S....Great success with the venture!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
JohnRogers
I Still Ash On My Self

AirForce (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Will you be allowed to sell alcohol in your lounge? You may be forfeiting some sales with an anti-cigarette policy if that's the case.

Yes a full alcohol beverage bar once the OK ABLE commission grants my permit, they are notoriously slow.

Thanks for the reply and wishing me well, I won't be selling online but at some point do I need to convert to a Retail Membership?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I think it's best to keep the "don'ts" to a bare minimum...I know I certainly wouldn't be offended by anyone smoking a cigarette where smoking is allowed. I'd be happy for the guy. A brother can't smoke a cigarette anywhere nowadays.
Scott, thanks for the input. I figured most cigar smokers didn't like being around cigarette smoke, I know I don't. I may be overestimating that whole thing. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by JohnRogers; 10-04-2014 at 02:40 PM.
JohnRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:55 PM   #4
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I am not sure I have see any "no cigarette smoking" signs in any on the B&M lounges in my area, John, but I can't remember seeing anyone smoking cigarettes there either.

Will you be allowed to sell alcohol in your lounge? You may be forfeiting some sales with an anti-cigarette policy if that's the case. If it is strictly a cigar lounge with soft drinks and coffee, then I wouldn't think it could hurt you at all.

To expand upon the above: I smoke cigarettes too, and if I'm smoking a cigarette while walking into a B&M/Lounge and someone tells me to put it out, I will and then I'll walk out, never to return. I can accept an anti-cigarette stance from non-smokers, but I will not accept elitist hypocrisy from other tobacco users. It enrages me! The B&M/Lounge in my neighborhood sells cigarettes, head shop things and hookah supplies, too. He won't turn away paying customers. Business is business and hobbies don't pay the bills.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
To expand upon the above: I smoke cigarettes too, and if I'm smoking a cigarette while walking into a B&M/Lounge and someone tells me to put it out, I will and then I'll walk out, never to return. I can accept an anti-cigarette stance from non-smokers, but I will not accept elitist hypocrisy from other tobacco users. It enrages me! The B&M/Lounge in my neighborhood sells cigarettes, head shop things and hookah supplies, too. He won't turn away paying customers. Business is business and hobbies don't pay the bills.
I don't smoke cigarettes, but agree totally with your sentiment.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
Oshay
Still Watching My Back

Army (Served With Honor)
Oshay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

Congratulations! I just opened a shop myself and couldn't be happier. Build the bigger humidor, they are difficult to expand later.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #8
JohnRogers
I Still Ash On My Self

AirForce (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat1075 View Post
Congratulations! I just opened a shop myself and couldn't be happier. Build the bigger humidor, they are difficult to expand later.
Good luck Patrick, I look forward to seeing more pictures!
Old 06-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #9
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
ColdCuts will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I smoke cigarettes too, and if I'm smoking a cigarette while walking into a B&M/Lounge and someone tells me to put it out, I will and then I'll walk out, never to return. I can accept an anti-cigarette stance from non-smokers, but I will not accept elitist hypocrisy from other tobacco users. It enrages me!
I used to feel similarly. I was a pack-a-day cigarette smoker for fifteen years. My wife smokes cigarettes to this day. So I can sort of see why you'd be upset. But it's not necessarily elitist hypocrisy at work. The truth is, cigarette smoke does wreck the aroma of a cigar. You don't see it that way because you can't tell. I know. I'm speaking from experience here. It's evident to me now. It wasn't back when I smoked cigarettes. Looking back, I wish I'd left my cigarettes out of the B&Ms just out of consideration.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:31 AM   #10
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCuts View Post
I used to feel similarly. I was a pack-a-day cigarette smoker for fifteen years. My wife smokes cigarettes to this day. So I can sort of see why you'd be upset. But it's not necessarily elitist hypocrisy at work. The truth is, cigarette smoke does wreck the aroma of a cigar. You don't see it that way because you can't tell. I know. I'm speaking from experience here. It's evident to me now. It wasn't back when I smoked cigarettes. Looking back, I wish I'd left my cigarettes out of the B&Ms just out of consideration.
I don't suppose they can ruin the aroma of Acids or Backwoods Grape.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's best to keep the "don'ts" to a bare minimum.
To disallow cigarette smoking is borderline senseless when there are umpteen cigars burning, at least in my way of thinking.
I know I certainly wouldn't be offended by anyone smoking a cigarette where smoking is allowed. I'd be happy for the guy. A brother can't smoke a cigarette anywhere nowadays.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #12
Frank-D-Tank
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Frank
Frank-D-Tank is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I think it's best to keep the "don'ts" to a bare minimum.
To disallow cigarette smoking is borderline senseless when there are umpteen cigars burning, at least in my way of thinking.
I know I certainly wouldn't be offended by anyone smoking a cigarette where smoking is allowed. I'd be happy for the guy. A brother can't smoke a cigarette anywhere nowadays.
This^^

I'm no expert, but from a customer standpoint, most don't want to walk in to a new place and be hit with a bunch of "don't" and "no". I wouldn't worry about it at first. If down the line it becomes a problem, you can always implement the "no cigarettes" later, but I doubt it will be necessary.

Best of luck!
Frank-D-Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #13
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

If you are selling alcohol, I agree with Scott, the less "don't"s, the better.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #14
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I'd have a "philosophical" problem with banning cigarette smokers. I no longer indulge, but I know many cigar smokers who smoke both. Plus, I herfed with Lew Rothman at JRs Whippany on several occasions, and he himself, one of the most powerful men in the cigar business, would normally smoke cigs.

You should feel free to do as you choose, but choosing to restrict the freedom of others in your choice seems odd to me. Just sayin'.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #15
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Good luck on your endeavor. Do other bars in your area allow smoking? If so, then you pribably won't have to worry about cigarette smokers crowding out your target customers. You could require a cigar purchase or charge a table minimum if casual cigarette smokers become an issue.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:32 PM   #16
mncigarguy
Just in from the Storm

mncigarguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Good luck on your endeavor. Do other bars in your area allow smoking? If so, then you pribably won't have to worry about cigarette smokers crowding out your target customers. You could require a cigar purchase or charge a table minimum if casual cigarette smokers become an issue.
This would be a problem, cigarette drinkers will crowd out your intentions, I assume. I have never seen anyone smoke a cigarette at a cigar B&M before, maybe I just never noticed

Last edited by mncigarguy; 04-22-2015 at 01:38 PM.
mncigarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #17
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncigarguy View Post
This would be a problem, cigarette drinkers will crowd out your intentions, I assume. I have never seen anyone smoke a cigarette at a cigar B&M before, maybe I just never noticed
I'd only worry or address it when it comes to that point. How many cigar lounges suffer from having too many customers?
Old 04-22-2015, 06:59 PM   #18
mncigarguy
Just in from the Storm

mncigarguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I'd only worry or address it when it comes to that point. How many cigar lounges suffer from having too many customers?
I know a few that could use less- ha! Good looking Sable in your avatar, I had a tri-color Corgi, little guy blew out both acl's, expensive dogs! Carried him for weeks up and down stairs while recovering, one acl at a time. Must be why the Queen owns them.
mncigarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #19
badbriar

A consideration to think about, and a good problem to have would be having too many customers. I'm talking about more bodies than available seats.
One great local Orlando shop is Ol Times. On the weekends, you need to get there before 2 in the afternoon to get a seat. They are very popular and are seriously short on seating. Great, large cigar selection with killer prices, just not enough seating. I've seen customers come in, look at no available seats and leave. Lost sales. Most people who go in and nest, end up having two or three cigars and buy some to take home. That's $30 to $100 sales per chair for most regulars.
Another issue is younger cigar or pipe enthusiasts who nest and play chess or cards and only have one stick, but take up a coveted leather chair for hours. Again, lost sales.
Here's an idea for you... Have a domino table in your shop. At Ol Times, dominos age very popular and keep customers there for a long while and buying more cigars!
BTW Cigarettes are highly discouraged by the regulars. Ruins a good cigar aroma.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #20
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

The cigar lounges in my area do not allow cigarette smoking.