Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 10-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
bdgile
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
bdgile is on a distinguished road
Default Salt Test

I have gone through 6 Acu-Rite Hygros and can get one up to 75%. I'm pretty sure I am doing everything right... Has anyone had trouble with these?
bdgile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
Lonely Raven

Default Re: Salt Test

Have you tried putting them all in one container together to see what the group results are?

If you have room, I got two of those Hygrometer/Thermometers from Walmart, only $8 each, and each was within 1%. When I put them in the same container, they read the same. I'm pretty impressed with that for out of the box accuracy, and only $8
Old 10-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

What have they been it. Should be +(-) 3.. I love these styles. No luck for me on the Walmart special.
CigarSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Lonely Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryyjr View Post
What have they been it. Should be +(-) 3.. I love these styles. No luck for me on the Walmart special.
Yeah, I can imagine the Walmart ones would be hit or miss. So far I've been lucky.

Granted, I have no problems driving back their and telling them I want my $$ back, or exchanging for another. But I'm 2 for 2 on them.

Also, I feel that much of the accessories in our cigar culture are severely overpriced. There is no way a chinese made adjustable hygrometer should cost $19.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
bdgile
Still Watching My Back

I have done 3 at a time. They are about 2 or 3 percent from each other, but only around 70%.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #6
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgile View Post
I have gone through 6 Acu-Rite Hygros and can get one up to 75%. I'm pretty sure I am doing everything right... Has anyone had trouble with these?
Im not familiar with this brand, but is it the large one with the LCD display? Is there a way to calibrate them?

Quote:
I have done 3 at a time. They are about 2 or 3 percent from each other, but only around 70%.
If I could make two suggestions that will save you much aggrivation in the long run:

1.) get yourself a Boveda calibration kit... SO worth the $5 just not to have to worry about spilling a salt mash concoction all over your hygrometers.

Many B&Ms carry them, or you can order them here:
http://www.bovedapacks.com/catalog.aspx?pid=5

2. get yourself a Xikar Hygrometer. The most accurate, and easiest hygro Ive owned. It is also the nicest looking. It will cost a few bucks more, but worth it in the long run. I own the larger square model and couldnt be happier with it.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

They're worth all $8.00. You're fortunate if they're ballpark. I had a pair that were off around 14%. For 20-25 bucks you can get a good calibratible hygrometer. They work perfectly.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
bdgile
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post

Get yourself a Xikar Hygrometer. The most accurate, and easiest hygro Ive owned. It is also the nicest looking. It will cost a few bucks more, but worth it in the long run. I own the larger square model and couldnt be happier with it.

Do you have this model? How does the "Self Calibrate" work? Have you tested it before and after?
Old 10-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Do you have this model? How does the "Self Calibrate" work? Have you tested it before and after?
I do have this model. The self calibrate works easily. You make sure it is in an environment that is 75.5% and you hit the button... thats it. No dials to turn like on my old ones. And I did test it before and after with positive results.

That is why the Boveda kit comes in so handy, its good for like 3 months, so you can check the calibration after a couple weeks if you want to be sure.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #10
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

I don't think I have but 1 hygro that is dead on. The others (2) are off by 1 and 7. I just write on them with a taped on piece of small paper the difference.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:28 AM   #11
falconman515
Central Cali Cigar Crew

First Name: Chris
Trading: (35)
JL
falconman515 is on a distinguished road

Ya ditch the walyworld hygros .... I use Caliber III Hygros and one is Dead On and the other low by 1%

They come pre-calibrated from the factory and work great!
falconman515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

What's a hygrometer?
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Double thumbs up on the Bovida cal kit. They are very cool and you can trust them.

Only other thing I'd add is it's lots better to run the test in a big glass jar of some type than it is in a bag; I sure get far, far more consistent results that way. Mason jar, old mayo jar, etc....works perfectly. If you're stuck with plastic bags, I'd double bag the test environment. I've done it that way, too, and it seems to work more consistently.