Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-21-2011, 06:52 AM   #21
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What do you think about "Exspensive Cigars?"

My experience so far has been to get my hands on a many different sticks I can and formulate my own opinions regardless of price. I have found some high end price sticks that I like quite a bit and plenty high priced sticks I didn't like. On the flip side I have smoked plenty of lower price end sticks and fully enjoyed them baffled by the low price point. Soon enough you begin to find what you enjoy and keep coming back to.

In the 1+ year that I have been regularly smoking I have found it simply comes down to finding what you're into. No one else should sway you and you should simply as already stated a few times above, smoke what you like and like what you smoke!
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #22
darkninja67

What was stated previously pretty much. There are some sticks I would have no problem paying $20+ for (e.g Padron 40th maduro) because they are stellar smokes.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #23
Ed M
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Ed
Trading: (0)
Ed M is on a distinguished road

My thoughts exactly Mattso!
Ed M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #24
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I am not sure if there is an event coming for which I will do so again or not.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Back2Back Lombardi's is as good an occasion as I can think of.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #25
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Price alone doesn't indicate quality. As other guys have said, there are $5 smokes that are fantastic, $20 smokes that.....aren't really $20 smokes. IMHO the cigars you mention are in that latter category.

The only 'worth it' $20 smoke that comes to mind off the top of my head would be the Padron Family Reserve Series, specifically the 45th in Maduro. I have smoked that cigar on several occasions and it's just fantastic, each and every time. I have, and would, pay $20 for that one because, to me, it's well worth it.

The bulk of the cigars I smoke are in the $6-12.00 range, to be sure.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #26
LigaPrivadaT84

Also, certain special occasions deverve special smokes.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #27
Boogie2dope

Default Re: What do you think about "Expensive Cigars?"

Interesting thoughts from all. Mostly what you all have said is what I myself believe in heart. I do agree with shopping around and looking for deals on sticks that are normally expensive; I picked up a 3 A. F. Anejo Sharks for just over 7$ each this past summer which is half their MSRP.

There are two smokes I am thinking off that I do like to purchase and IMO are worth the higher price tag b/c they really take me on a trip of the senses, and those are Zino Platinum Scepter Chubbies, and La Aurora Preferidos Sapphires.

I've come to a conclusion, and that is I need to have three or four of you lovely gents acting as little "ciguardian angels" who sit upon my shoulder and whisper in my ear when I reach for that stick that is simply not worth the money!

In all seriousness, thanks for the replies on my first thread, hope to talk to you guys more and learn all the knowledge you have to bestow! Long live long ashes!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #28
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
There are some sticks that are worth the money based on rarity or coffin packaging but most that they sell at a typical B&M that are regularly available I wouldn't waste the money on.
There are some "rare" smokes and cigars that come in coffin packaging that suck, so I would hardly use that as my criteria for saying they are worth the money, Shane.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #29
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
There are some "rare" smokes and cigars that come in coffin packaging that suck, so I would hardly use that as my criteria for saying they are worth the money, Shane.
I find expensive cigars to be quite like inexpensive cigars: some are great, some are terrible, many are mediocre.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #30
South Shield
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Travis
South Shield will become famous soon enough

The one thing I have noticed about expensive sticks is that they usually cost more than cheap sticks.
South Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #31
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Shield View Post
The one thing I have noticed about expensive sticks is that they usually cost more than cheap sticks.
Only usually Travis?
Old 12-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #32
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

I think they taste great, if you pick the right expensive cigar, not an overpriced cigar that someone thinks should be an expensive cigar
Old 12-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #33
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattso3000 View Post
I've bought cigars for $20 I wouldn't pay $5 for again and paid $5 for something I'd pay $20 for. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.
I'm with Matt.
I've also smoked $30 cigars that were worth every dime, and $30 that weren't worth a dime.

I think that there is definately a time and a place for an expensive cigar. It's not the cigar, but the experience that I'm paying for. I'll pay $30 to try a new limited Padron. I know I'll get my money's worth, even if I haven't done my homework.
The window for that type of cigar is small, and most are just simply a hose-job. Graycliff being one, unfortunately. Sorry about that.

Without going into specifics, I'd easily spend $100 or more for a specific cigar, but for the "experience" value, not for the cigar itself. If I spent the coin, I wouldn't have any notions about how good the cigar is. I'd have already done my homework and searched the cigar out to buy it.
I'd also have to buy two so I can smoke with a good friend so we can share the experience. That $200 will provide hours of entertainment and something that friend and I will remember for the rest of our lives.
I've spent a lot more for a lot less entertainment along the way, ya know?

So I think it's where your heart is, what your motives are, and what you plan to do that make an expensive cigar purchase sensible.
And I don't think it's irresponsible or crazy or bad that you spent $15 on that Graycliff. If it was fun and exciting to do, there's your value. If the cigar smokes well, consider it a bonus.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #34
Chemyst
Doin Time on Planet Earth

First Name: Ken
Trading: (7)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
Chemyst is on a distinguished road

IMHO, most 'expensive' cigars aren't worth the msrp.
Having said that, there are some xlnt smokes that are
out of my usual price range. I stopped buying special
smokes for Xmas/New Year because it's too cold outside
to enjoy them. But for my vacation and b-day I try to
get a PAM or ESG or Fuente Anejo. All xlnt smokes.

My regular rotation is San Cristobal, La Riqueza, AF Hemi
maduro and Oliva MB3, which are 'expensive' for some people.
But I only smoke 2-3 per week, so it's easier to stay within
budget.

For me, the Oliva MB3 tastes very similar to a PAM, so that
gives me a PAM profile for a reasonable price.

You'll just have to try the 'expensive' sticks when you can,
and determine which are worth the coin to you. I got some
GOFs to try, recently. I can hardly wait, for warm weather,
to try them out!

Graycliffs are much more affordable on the Devil's Auction
site.

Chemyst
Old 12-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #35
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

I had an opus x torpedo that was about the size of a Robusto. Not sure what vitola it is. It was good, but not quite sure it was $13.50 good. Maybe next year I will buy a box and stuff it away for a while since the concensus seems to be that they really improve with age. I have a few anejos to try out as well. Those don't seem to be quite as spendy and I tend to enjoy maduros more anyways.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #36
gator_79
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Robin
Trading: (3)
Navy (Deployed)
gator_79 is on a distinguished road

I rarely spend more than $10 on a cigar, There are just so many great cigars for $10 and under. When I do it's almost always a CC, Anejo, Opus or Padron.
gator_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #37
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
I had an opus x torpedo that was about the size of a Robusto. Not sure what vitola it is. It was good, but not quite sure it was $13.50 good. Maybe next year I will buy a box and stuff it away for a while since the concensus seems to be that they really improve with age. I have a few anejos to try out as well. Those don't seem to be quite as spendy and I tend to enjoy maduros more anyways.
Probably a Belicosos. Not sure if they named it something different though.

I've personally never had a cigar over $20 that made me think it was worth a box purchase.

I find that for $15 and under there is so much selection I'd rather broaden my collection then drop major coin on a box or two.

Although in time when I have enough cigars, , I'll go for pricer special occasion smokes (boxes). That doesn't mean I don't try some $20+ singles occasionally though.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #38
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

It has been touched on but when I think of the little bit I know about all the hard work that it takes from seed to purchase; cigars are pretty under priced as is. That being said the market is what it is and for me at least price will effect what I buy and how much I expect from a cigar. 20$ is about as high as I will go but I have bought some +30$ cigars that I really enjoyed. The problem is I know how much I spent and that effects the experience from the cigar in the thinking that " this should be the best cigar money can buy" sometimes it is and sometimes not. I think it can be a mindset so I'll try doing the same with 3-5$ cigars as well and end up occasionally with the same experience.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #39
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie2dope View Post
I've come to a conclusion, and that is I need to have three or four of you lovely gents acting as little "ciguardian angels" who sit upon my shoulder and whisper in my ear when I reach for that stick that is simply not worth the money!
And you'd have 3 different opinions about which one is not worth it and which one is. Everybody's tastes are different. What you like may not be what I like. What I scream about, you may roll your eyes back in your head and think, "The preacher's lost his mind."

For example, you said, " There are two smokes I am thinking off that I do like to purchase and IMO are worth the higher price tag b/c they really take me on a trip of the senses, and those are Zino Platinum Scepter Chubbies, and La Aurora Preferidos Sapphires."

Glad you like them. It is your money you are spending -- to satisfy your tastebuds. To you they are worth a higher price tag.

Now, here's where I make my point. I won't say they are not cigars worth that price tag. Both companies are credible companies, both make superior products, and these particular sticks are their upper end smokes. But personally, I wouldn't spend $5 on either one of them. Why? Because there are other cigars out there which I find more pleasurable smokes in the $5 range. So, would I spend more on them? No!

It isn't my palate or pocket book that needs to justify that smoke, it is yours. You already gave me your opinion above. If that is how you feel, then get them and enjoy them.

Other examples.
Kelmac would tell you that a 601 Blue maduro is worth $15.
Shilala would tell you that a Coronado maduro is worth $15.
And Icehog would tell you that your nutz to spend $8 on any NC cigar.

OK, maybe that's an exaggeration, but hopefully it it making my point.

Only you can decide how much you will spend on a cigar. And then, only you can decide which cigar is worth it. Get out and try a few.

Here's a bit of advice, find out whose tastes are similar to yours. Who enjoys what you enjoy in a cigar? They can be a guage for you. If they like a particular stick, then you MAY (notice that word there, it still isn't positive), like the same stick.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #40
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
What I scream about, you may roll your eyes back in your head and think, "The preacher's lost his mind."

I do this ALL the time.