Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about
Default My New Yard Gar - Holt's Factory Specials

My use to be every day go to yard gar smoke was the Connie #84. Really did (and still do) love those things. But - when I first started buying them I could get them for around $20 bucks for 25 of them. Lately though the price has jumped up to $50. Even though I really want them - not at that price.

So on with the search for a replacement. Muddled around with some others, Pirates Gold, Indios, Fuma's etc etc - nothing really struck me. Then I'm looking through the latest Holt's catalog and spot the Factory Specials. Now I remember back sometime ago, someone sent me a few and were they top line? No of course not - but they really didn't hit the bottom of the dog rocket pile either.

So what the hell. I ordered up a box of them. So far I have smoked 8 or 10 and ya know what? Not bad yard gars at all. What you get when you light one up is pretty much what you got. No nilla, earthy peat leather spice hitting you - just plain ole solid tobacco. As for strength - the ad for them says "varies" and they are not joking. About half of them have been in the medium range with the other half going full bore strong. Actually kinda surprised me.
And fresh would be another really good term to use with them. If you have ever hand a fresh rolled smoke - these are damn near that. I think they have been aged for like 8 or 9 days - LOL

They lite up easy - drawn real easy - burn has been very good and only one of them tried to tunnel on me but corrected itself.

So - top line smoke? No. Good strong yard gar? You bet.

I ordered the big ass box of 100 Robusto in the Sungrown wrapper. Works out to about a $1.50 each. I can live with that.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
rharris
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Richard
Trading: (48)
rharris will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My New Yard Gar - Holt's Factory Specials

Great review. I like these as well,and I have found that they are pretty darn good with a little age on em.
rharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Great review! I've been casting around a bit for an inexpensive bundle-type cigar. Will have to look into these. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #4
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the tip on the cheapie! I'm always looking for good yardgars.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote