Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
Eli18

Default eagle scouts

just wondering if there any eagle scouts out there. i just got mine 2 days before my 18th. i restored a community tennis court for my project
Old 01-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough
Default Re: eagle scouts

Yup Eagle Scout here to. I build 7 or 8 burley tables for a mentaly and phsycially disabled non profit company that provided jobs for over 50 people. It still is the acomplishment I am most proud of, even better tham my degree.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
SUOrangeGuy
Escaped using raincoats

Trading: (24)
Montecristo
SUOrangeGuy is on a distinguished road

Yep (May, 2000)... built some dugouts for a local little league field. It was vandalized the weekend after we finished so then we got to go back and make repairs.
SUOrangeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:40 PM   #4
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Does it count if I was the Scoutmaster for over a dozen guys that made Eagle? Plus sat on probably 3 dozen District Level Eagle Boards of Review? I'm proud to say that none of the Eagles were given, they were all EARNED by the ones that received them. I tried to give back to the program to make up for my troop folding for lack of adult leadership when I was a youth in the program.

NinjaVanish is an Eagle Scout, but don't know if he will see the thread.

Congrats to all those here that earned Eagle. I know how much time and commitment is required, especially during the middle teen years when there are so many activities pulling at them!!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Does it count if I was the Scoutmaster for over a dozen guys that made Eagle? Plus sat on probably 3 dozen District Level Eagle Boards of Review? I'm proud to say that none of the Eagles were given, they were all EARNED by the ones that received them. I tried to give back to the program to make up for my troop folding for lack of adult leadership when I was a youth in the program.

Congrats to all those here that earned Eagle. I know how much time and commitment is required, especially during the middle teen years when there are so many activities pulling at them!!
I would say it counts almost more than earning an eagle scout. Never met some one who was "given" and eagle scout, not even sure how that would work.

Thanks a lot for your service, I know I really appreciate all the work my scout masters and volunteer dads put into making sure we had trip every month and ran fundraisers so we could go on them.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:52 AM   #6
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli18 View Post
just wondering if there any eagle scouts out there. i just got mine 2 days before my 18th. i restored a community tennis court for my project
Congratulations! Job well done. I never got my mine but I do know how hard it is to achieve!

Quote:
. . . especially during the middle teen years when there are so many activities pulling at them!!
Yep . . . once I really discovered the umm Girl Scouts had more than cookies . .. well . . .

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #7
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I was never involved with scouting as the troop was not very active when I was that age. My dad was one merit badge away from Eagle but could not do the swimming badge as he had almost drowned as a kid and was scared of the water. He has remained active for over 50 years and has helped somewhere around 30 young men get their Eagle Scout badge. Some of them got in right under the wire! He volunteers at the local Scout office every week. It's funny that some of the kid's parents who he helped get Eagle were friends of mine in high school. Here's a picture of my dad at the Philmont Scout Ranch in 1956. He's the tallest guy in the back middle:

MCS
Old 01-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

9/20/2004. I was 16.

Built a score keeper's box and 2 dugout benches for the church's baseball field. I learned about 9 months ago that during a brutal storm the score keeper's box was destroyed (for reference, it pulled up 3 of the 40 lb cement feet). I went and looked last week and it is still down. Soon as this dislocated shoulder is better I'm going down there with a chainsaw to get rid of the disheveled pile of wood

The only complaint I ever had with scouts is that I have a mental block for knots. Hours and hours of study and practice and I still can't tie anything. :/
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

First Name: Matt
Trading: (21)
mhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura about

Eagle in 1993. It is the personal achievement that I am most proud of (which might be obvious given my avatar). I built a fence around a playground that was built in the middle of an intersection. (hard to describe, but there was an "island" in the middle of the intersection, and the builders decided that kids did not need a fence to protect them while playing there???)

My brother is also an Eagle, earned in 1989.

I remember Philmont as one of the best summer camps i attended. We also went to Peaceful Valley, and did multiple high adventure trips (50 mile backpack trips, 150 mile canoe trips, ...).

I also was a foreign exchange student to Australia, and became invovled in the scouting down under. Very rewarding experience.

Matt
Old 01-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post

Yep . . . once I really discovered the umm Girl Scouts had more than cookies . .. well . . .

Ron
The scout leaders had a name for this stumbling block that most teenage Boy Scouts ran into: "The Fumes" - Gas fumes and perfumes were major roadblocks!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
jimmyk26
Jimmy Jim

First Name: Kings of Leon
Trading: (32)
HUpmann
jimmyk26 will become famous soon enough

5/18/1998 - converted a set of bathrooms to be kid friendly for a new pre-school at a local church. Both of my brothers are Eagles as well. It's nice to see all of the BOTL's that are/were scouts, it is an organization that made a very positive impact in my life.
jimmyk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Yeah, I finally get a second to stop and read some posts...

I am an Eagle Scout.

For my Eagle Project, I set out to color code and paint approximately 250 fire hydrants in and around my hometown (color coded so the firemen know how many gallons per minute they can pull from the hydrant... handy information to have) Not only that but we have to cement new blue reflectors in the road where hydrants were loacted so firemen could find them easier.

Turned out to be more like 400-450 hydrants... many of which had not been painted in over a decade at LEAST... so their color code was RUST.

Learned some little factoids along the way:

1) The cement they use on the blue reflectors will adhere strong enough... that if you put it down wrong and have to pull it up with a claw hammer (which is apparently the firemans preferred tool for this job)... it will probably pull up the asphalt along with the reflector.

2) Oil based paint gets on everything. And is impossible to completely clean off of a black plastic pick up truck bedliner.

3) In my home town:
Red Cap Hydrant = 0-499 gpm (The one closest to my house was red)
Orange Cap Hydrant = 500-999 gpm
Green Cap Hydrant = 1000-1499 gpm
Blue Cap Hydrant = 1500+ gpm

4) Scottboro, Alabama is apparently the Fire Hydrant Manufacturing capitol of the US.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #13
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Eagle in 1968, my brother in 1976. Three of us were going for Eagle at the same time and all belonged to the same church so we rebuilt the vestments closet and replaced the rims on the downstairs basketball courts. A very proud accomplishment topped only by graduation from Parris Island and my nearly 30 year marriage to the lovely Regina.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:27 PM   #14
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Congratulations to you guys. I loved scouting but never made it past 1st class. For some reason those blue cards I needed to fill out for my all my merit badges never got filled out. Too bad diligent was never part of the Scout law.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #15
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Never made it to Eagle. I was active for a long time in Scouts and miss going to camp every year.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #16
Eli18

really glad to see some eagles in here never thought i would make it to eagle i honestly joined scouts for camping and discovered so much more. i discovered my talent for wood carving from scouting.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:01 PM   #17
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

11/1/2003 (two days before my 18th)

My project was sort of convoluted from the start. At first, I had planned to make and install some trail signs at the local public park observatory that had nature trails. Some research led me to what was considered the "norm" for federal public parks, which was somewhat more than I had planned.

In order to complete my project, I actually had to write a grant proposal for the park commission to create a wood shop (intended for use by senior citizens in a local public housing to make things they could sell) that was "in the works" for the last 4 years. I budgeted a little over $10,000 for this shop adventure, and ended up with almost $40,000 in grants (some interesting federal grants I proposed on a pipe dream apparently came through in full).

So after picking the equipment, safety equipment, and waiting for the building to be readied, we opened the shop and made the signs. Ended up with not only about 25 seniors helping, but almost 50 other volunteer family members from the local community who wanted to help (they just heard about it through the grapevine somehow *shrug*). The signs were made of traded 2x12 and 4x4 posts, and the lettering was burned into the signs in 4" letters.

After 100 people doing the work to physically craft the signs, I had an installation day. I figured I would get a handful of seniors to come out and about 15 scouts. I ended up with over 40 people out hammering in steel pipe segments into the ground and screwing signs into place. After about 6 hours we installed well over what we planned to install that day (we made over 200, but only planned to install 40).

Years later I checked in on what had become of "my" shop and work. Sadly the shop was closed and torn down several years later (I don't know of what became of the very expensive Delta and Jet floor-mounted tools we purchased). Proudly, the observatory is STILL making those signs and installing them on new trails and updating the old ones almost a decade after I started the project. Really the immensity of the project I undertook never fully hit me until years later when I looked back and realized exactly how many different fronts I fought on to bring together a simple project into reality.

Still makes me smile
Old 01-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #18
Eli18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silound View Post
11/1/2003 (two days before my 18th)

My project was sort of convoluted from the start. At first, I had planned to make and install some trail signs at the local public park observatory that had nature trails. Some research led me to what was considered the "norm" for federal public parks, which was somewhat more than I had planned.

In order to complete my project, I actually had to write a grant proposal for the park commission to create a wood shop (intended for use by senior citizens in a local public housing to make things they could sell) that was "in the works" for the last 4 years. I budgeted a little over $10,000 for this shop adventure, and ended up with almost $40,000 in grants (some interesting federal grants I proposed on a pipe dream apparently came through in full).

So after picking the equipment, safety equipment, and waiting for the building to be readied, we opened the shop and made the signs. Ended up with not only about 25 seniors helping, but almost 50 other volunteer family members from the local community who wanted to help (they just heard about it through the grapevine somehow *shrug*). The signs were made of traded 2x12 and 4x4 posts, and the lettering was burned into the signs in 4" letters.

After 100 people doing the work to physically craft the signs, I had an installation day. I figured I would get a handful of seniors to come out and about 15 scouts. I ended up with over 40 people out hammering in steel pipe segments into the ground and screwing signs into place. After about 6 hours we installed well over what we planned to install that day (we made over 200, but only planned to install 40).

Years later I checked in on what had become of "my" shop and work. Sadly the shop was closed and torn down several years later (I don't know of what became of the very expensive Delta and Jet floor-mounted tools we purchased). Proudly, the observatory is STILL making those signs and installing them on new trails and updating the old ones almost a decade after I started the project. Really the immensity of the project I undertook never fully hit me until years later when I looked back and realized exactly how many different fronts I fought on to bring together a simple project into reality.

Still makes me smile
really great project very impressive
Old 01-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #19
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
Yeah, I finally get a second to stop and read some posts...

I am an Eagle Scout.

For my Eagle Project, I set out to color code and paint approximately 250 fire hydrants in and around my hometown (color coded so the firemen know how many gallons per minute they can pull from the hydrant... handy information to have) Not only that but we have to cement new blue reflectors in the road where hydrants were loacted so firemen could find them easier.

Turned out to be more like 400-450 hydrants... many of which had not been painted in over a decade at LEAST... so their color code was RUST.

Learned some little factoids along the way:

1) The cement they use on the blue reflectors will adhere strong enough... that if you put it down wrong and have to pull it up with a claw hammer (which is apparently the firemans preferred tool for this job)... it will probably pull up the asphalt along with the reflector.

2) Oil based paint gets on everything. And is impossible to completely clean off of a black plastic pick up truck bedliner.

3) In my home town:
Red Cap Hydrant = 0-499 gpm (The one closest to my house was red)
Orange Cap Hydrant = 500-999 gpm
Green Cap Hydrant = 1000-1499 gpm
Blue Cap Hydrant = 1500+ gpm

4) Scottboro, Alabama is apparently the Fire Hydrant Manufacturing capitol of the US.
The difference in numbers turned out to be, in large part, because the fire department had no idea what they really had in terms of fire hydrants. So, the project also included an inventory on what and where ALL hydrants were located, as well as a data base the FD could use to keep up with what they had!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:50 AM   #20
gravelman

Well I never thought I would join a new community and within the first few minutes stumble upon a thread about scouts. I earned my Eagle Scout in 2005, one day before my 18th birthday, cut it way too close for comfort. I built a picnic/ walkway area around a soccer field for the Shrine Center here in St. Louis. It was a great time and I learned a lot of stuff for sure.

Glad to see that others still talk about it and share their experiences!!