Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 07-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #321
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Who's ready for the World Cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
For this American viewer who admittedly is just now trying to better learn and enjoy the game, what drives me crazy is it seems in order to get a call you must embellish the foul. In hockey, the embellishment itself would be a penalty, and for other professional North American sports, embellishment is generally frowned upon. In football (American ), if a receiver is held but still makes the catch, they can decline the penalty. It seems to me, with soccer, if you don't go down and try to play through the foul, the foul is not called.

A serious question, is this part of the rules of soccer, either "by the book" or just generally accepted? If so, I'll probably be continuing my every four years viewing.
If the foul is in the possessing teams favor, and the ball was not turned over on the foul, the play is allowed to continue. Unfortunately "diving" has become an art forn in soccer, the Italians are especially talented. If it's a blatant dive, the diver can be issued a yellow card.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #322
Pass
Puff, Puff...

First Name: Max
Trading: (8)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Pass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
If the foul is in the possessing teams favor, and the ball was not turned over on the foul, the play is allowed to continue. Unfortunately "diving" has become an art forn in soccer, the Italians are especially talented. If it's a blatant dive, the diver can be issued a yellow card.
Pretty sure that the Italians all go to Soap Opera acting classes...
Old 07-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #323
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Don't forget the teams from South America, they dive like the best. I love Luis Suarez (he plays for Ajax Amsterdam, which is my team), but he's also a diver first class.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #324
Pass
Puff, Puff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
Don't forget the teams from South America, they dive like the best. I love Luis Suarez (he plays for Ajax Amsterdam, which is my team), but he's also a diver first class.
Oh, indeed. I'm pretty certain that if the South Americans recruited some of their soccer players for their Olympic dive teams, they'd be taking home golds. lol.

...Actually, wasn't there a South American player (I think Uruguay) that actually WAS a swimmer with his country's international team?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #325
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass View Post
...Actually, wasn't there a South American player (I think Uruguay) that actually WAS a swimmer with his country's international team?
Yeah and in my opinion Forlan was one of the best players in the WC... but not because of his dives. His ball control and shots were unreal.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #326
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

Forlan won the award for best player. He deserved it too. I was really wanting the Dutch to win. Sorry Ferd.
Superbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #327
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbad View Post
Forlan won the award for best player. He deserved it too. I was really wanting the Dutch to win. Sorry Ferd.
Forlan was unreal. I am surprised he won that award... but it is much deserved IMO.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #328
Pass
Puff, Puff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Yeah and in my opinion Forlan was one of the best players in the WC... but not because of his dives. His ball control and shots were unreal.
Hmmm. Thought Forlan played tennis...
Old 07-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #329
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
If the foul is in the possessing teams favor, and the ball was not turned over on the foul, the play is allowed to continue.
Okay, but if there's a foul, play continues and when ultimately possession goes to the other team or the ball is played off the field, does the team that was fouled get a free kick from the spot of the foul (per the rules)? Or is the foul ignored?

Quote:
Unfortunately "diving" has become an art forn in soccer, the Italians are especially talented. If it's a blatant dive, the diver can be issued a yellow card.
I actually saw a couple of yellow cards for diving in group play and was happy to see it called. But it seemed it was for actually diving when there was no foul at all. I guess embellishing an actual foul is okay per the rules, but I sure don't like it. I would rather see the player fouled try to continue the play.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #330
Pass
Puff, Puff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Forlan was unreal. I am surprised he won that award... but it is much deserved IMO.
Yeah, he was! I was also happy to see Muller get the Golden Boot and Young Player award... Though, I thought Schweinsteiger might have been a better choice there. At any rate... 5 goals and 3 assists for a 20yr old is pretty epic!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #331
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
Okay, but if there's a foul, play continues and when ultimately possession goes to the other team or the ball is played off the field, does the team that was fouled get a free kick from the spot of the foul (per the rules)? Or is the foul ignored?
no, if the foul is not called immediately, it cannot be called retro-actively, "play on" is what is the commonly called by the ref in those instances. There are no time outs, and the only time the clock is stopped is when there is an injured player down that requires non-players on the field (medics/trainers).

"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #332
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
no, if the foul is not called immediately, it cannot be called retro-actively
Not true. Refs can call it after the play and I've seen them do that.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #333
Pass
Puff, Puff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Matter of fact, there was a foul and yellow issue well after the incident -- while a certain drama queen was on the ground crying -- in today's game.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #334
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
no, if the foul is not called immediately, it cannot be called retro-actively, "play on" is what is the commonly called by the ref in those instances. There are no time outs, and the only time the clock is stopped is when there is an injured player down that requires non-players on the field (medics/trainers).
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Sorry, Moe. Greg is correct. A referee will wait to see if an advantage is maintained. If within a few seconds, the potential advantage is lost, the referee can and will whistle the foul. If, however, the referee feels the advantage was realized and then the ball turned over, the foul is not called. Lots of latitude in judgment given to the referee.

Also, consider this scenario. A player is fouled and the foul is worthy of a yellow card. However, a clear advantage is given and the whistle is not blown for the foul. Attack continues, and eventually possession is lost and play continues. A full minute or two later, the ball goes into touch or over the end line. The referee can then appropriately issue the yellow.

And the clock is never stopped - even for an injury requiring medics/trainers. The referee will add (stoppage) time for any additional time he deems appropriate - including substitutions and dealing with misconduct.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:32 AM   #335
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Webb sucked, how the hell could he book Nigel de Jong, this was clearly a dive by Xabi Alonso http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/1036...t_gewoon_.html
Old 07-12-2010, 06:41 AM   #336
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Sorry, Moe. Greg is correct. A referee will wait to see if an advantage is maintained. If within a few seconds, the potential advantage is lost, the referee can and will whistle the foul. If, however, the referee feels the advantage was realized and then the ball turned over, the foul is not called. Lots of latitude in judgment given to the referee.
Thanks for the education Peter, I had never seen this before.

Quote:
Also, consider this scenario. A player is fouled and the foul is worthy of a yellow card. However, a clear advantage is given and the whistle is not blown for the foul. Attack continues, and eventually possession is lost and play continues. A full minute or two later, the ball goes into touch or over the end line. The referee can then appropriately issue the yellow.
So at that point, is it a free kick? And where?

Quote:
And the clock is never stopped - even for an injury requiring medics/trainers. The referee will add (stoppage) time for any additional time he deems appropriate - including substitutions and dealing with misconduct.
When they show the ref's handling their watches I figured they were stopping the timers. Is it left to the refs discretion weather to add time for subs (ie if they are trying to burn the clock in the final minutes) or is a cut and dry policy?

Old 07-12-2010, 07:18 AM   #337
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Thanks for the education Moe, Greg and Peter. I'm glad I asked the question.

I guess, based on all of this, my opinion is the ref could have decided the advantage was maintained, which I have no problem with, but could/should have issued a yellow on Robben's chance. I should stipulate this is based on my understanding of the rules (which obviously is limited).
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #338
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Good game yesterday. Even with all of the b.s. calls, I thought that the better team won.

Is it Football (U.S.) season yet? I'm ready to watch a sport where tackles are rewarded!
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #339
Pass
Puff, Puff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade06 View Post
Good game yesterday. Even with all of the b.s. calls, I thought that the better team won.

Is it Football (U.S.) season yet? I'm ready to watch a sport where tackles are rewarded!
No but I'm pretty sure it is Rugby time... And tackles are DEFINITELY rewarded in that sport lol.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #340
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
Webb sucked, how the hell could he book Nigel de Jong, this was clearly a dive by Xabi Alonso http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/1036...t_gewoon_.html
You're not saying anything we can disagree on. Disgrace for FIFA to pick Webb to ref the game, something that was called as soon as his name was announced days prior. I have no idea how Spanish players can think they are winners.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote