Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #841
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (5)
RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough
Default Re: pnoon's what cigar did you smoke today VII?

Casa Fernandez Miami Reserva Toro - nice solid smoke, I'd say a pretty solid medium, maybe medium full at times, and imo this one has always exhibited a lot peanut/nut flavors with just enough spice to keep it interesting...I think I prefer the Aganorsa Leaf Casa Fernandez to this one, but it's still quite good!

Last edited by gomeitsmybday; 03-24-2020 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Used the word "pretty" one too many times...
gomeitsmybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:23 AM   #842
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

La Barba Red. I am liking these a lot. I wish they'd make a corona(ish) size.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:52 AM   #843
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough

DPG Blue Robusto - I have a real love/hate relationship with the Blue. I once had what was a *glorious* Blue Robusto a couple years ago and have been chasing it since. This current box I'm smoking was definitely too young when I first got it, but now are smoking fine. Not gloriously unfortunately.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:26 PM   #844
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

H. Upmann AJF Toro
Old 03-27-2020, 08:08 AM   #845
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA
Thumbs up Re: pnoon's what cigar did you smoke today VII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
H. Upmann AJF Toro
Great cigar

This morning I've chosen -

Isabela Time Traveler (Corona Double?) - one of the upsides to being stuck at home is that I can smoke more cigars! One of the downsides to being stuck at home is that I can smoke more cigars! .....because it's they are giving me some real palate fatigue

Such is the case with this beautiful specimen. This is from what I understand, to be Isabela's in-official crown jewel in their lineup, supposed to have many flavor transitions which I'm trying to pick up on but it's difficult - again, by no fault of Isabela, it's my damned fault for smoking too many cigars yesterday. Definitely a sweet start though, then settled in to a very rich, very aged tobacco profile.

Fellow Asylumers, for any of you that like fuller bodied cigars, I implore you to check Isabela out. They smoke like an extra premium cigar but cost at most $10 a stick. Definitely a smaller company but I really like what they are doing with their tobacco and would love to see them grow.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:31 PM   #846
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Uppman box-pressed torp by AJF
Old 03-28-2020, 11:09 AM   #847
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Dug deep......
Sancti Spiritus by Pepin (an old house blend of Cigar King) Didn't hold up well to time.
Padilla 1932 toro by Pepin. These were and are fantastic!
Old 03-28-2020, 06:32 PM   #848
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Dug deep......
Sancti Spiritus by Pepin (an old house blend of Cigar King) Didn't hold up well to time.
Padilla 1932 toro by Pepin. These were and are fantastic!
Yeah there is nothing quite like a really good Pepin.

Tonight I went with...

Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial Robusto - forgot time snap a picture unfortunately. Spectacular cigar for the price imo.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #849
The camaro show
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Chayse
Trading: (1)
VR
The camaro show will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomeitsmybday View Post
Yeah there is nothing quite like a really good Pepin.

Tonight I went with...

Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial Robusto - forgot time snap a picture unfortunately. Spectacular cigar for the price imo.
Imo Pepin dosent hold up well to time very well, I had a old old like original light blue band from 2004 i smoked a few months ago and it was completely dead. I think they have a really short sweet spot which is when we have these amazing blues.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:05 PM   #850
The camaro show
Adjusting to the Life

VR

Michael have you had the Cuban classic or serie JJ? If so how were they
Old 03-29-2020, 06:53 AM   #851
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The camaro show View Post
Michael have you had the Cuban classic or serie JJ? If so how were they
Sure have! If I don't count the glorious DPG Blue I once had, I'd rank them in the following order, from best to least favorite:

- DPG Black/Cuban Classic - amazing...no, spectacularly memorable with a couple years age imo
- DPG JJ Maduro - these are stellar Maduros, can be found at Atlantic Cigar, highly recommended
- DPG Original JJ - not a bad smoke by any means, but doesn't stand out as much as the previous two, definitely worth grabbing a 5er if you've never tried!
- DPG Blue/Original - meh. I'm aware how good these *can* be, and when they are that good, they could make the top of this list! However recently I've been coming across a lot of underwhelming Blues as well. I haven't given up faith mind you, I just snagged a box of 2019 Blues in corona vitola to put down for the long term. Going to try to zero in on that sweet spot if I can.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:03 AM   #852
The camaro show
Adjusting to the Life

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomeitsmybday View Post
Sure have! If I don't count the glorious DPG Blue I once had, I'd rank them in the following order, from best to least favorite:

- DPG Black/Cuban Classic - amazing...no, spectacularly memorable with a couple years age imo
- DPG JJ Maduro - these are stellar Maduros, can be found at Atlantic Cigar, highly recommended
- DPG Original JJ - not a bad smoke by any means, but doesn't stand out as much as the previous two, definitely worth grabbing a 5er if you've never tried!
- DPG Blue/Original - meh. I'm aware how good these *can* be, and when they are that good, they could make the top of this list! However recently I've been coming across a lot of underwhelming Blues as well. I haven't given up faith mind you, I just snagged a box of 2019 Blues in corona vitola to put down for the long term. Going to try to zero in on that sweet spot if I can.
Thanks Michael!
Old 03-29-2020, 10:21 AM   #853
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

Sure thing amigo!

601 Blue Short Churchill (I think that's the name of the vitola) - picked these up because while I love the 601 Blue Toros, sometimes I wished the smoke was a bit more concentrated, and so far, this one is delivering!!
Old 03-31-2020, 08:01 AM   #854
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

Been having a lot of the same cigars lately so haven't seen as much need to post ta bout them, particularly any I've already posted about recently.

This morning I'm having a...

Graycliff 30 yo Toro - (forgot to snap a picture today) I'm with a lot of folks when they say Graycliff has a lot of underwhelming offerings, I've tried some other blends beside this one and haven't been terribly impressed. With that said, this is and has been a consistently spectacular smoke for me. It reminds me of a L'atlier, very very creamy smoke but with more nuance and subtleties going on under that cream. Haven't been buying these lately because the vendor Id have to go through is now charging the Ohio excise tax, but now that I'm running low, I'll eventually just bite the bullet and pay the excise so I can get more of these. Yep, that good.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:58 PM   #855
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Surrogates 7th Sam
Crafted by Casa Fernandez toro
Old 03-31-2020, 05:10 PM   #856
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

601 Toro
Old 04-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #857
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

Surrogates Crystal Baller Toro - nice medium bodied smoke. Almost out of these, which is unfortunate, but don't think I'll be picking up more
Old 04-02-2020, 09:31 AM   #858
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

AJF Enclave Broadleaf Toro - was too lazy to snap a picture this morning. It's been my experience that while these are good, they lack a bit of the character that the original Enclave has that makes them so unique. AJ makes the Toro format of these rather large, so I'm wondering if maybe they might smoke a little better in a smaller vitola. I think I might get another 5er in a smaller size before I pass ultimate judgement however.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:41 AM   #859
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Caldwell Eastern Standard Corretto. Good, though I enjoy the Long Live the King and The King is Dead better.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:20 PM   #860
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

Still plan to check out more of that Caldwell portfolio...does anyone know who that face is on a lot of those Caldwell bands? My guess is either an old, unshaven Mark Twain, or some long dead Russian author.

For my Friday Quarantine Funday I went with...

AB Prensado Churchill - always tasty, but I'm starting to thinI this blend wasn't meant for this vitola either (referencing my last post in thread). After dropping the rh significantly they burn much better but still not without needing at least 2 re-lights. Up next....

CigarFed Mexican Hot Chocolate Toro - very wonky ash on this one, but smoking wonderfully as usual. A big thanks to Weelok for recommending this one many moons ago, a consistently flavorful spicy Nicaraguan that always delivers.