Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Taboo twist toro

This huge fat cigar (6 inch ring 60) has two wrappers, one claro, one maduro which creates an attractive cigar. The aroma is a light & sweet aroma of hay. The predraw has a dry feel to it but is fine otherwise.

The first flavors are a smooth & gentle leather with some white pepper on the background but soon it gets buttery with hints of chocolate. Later some leather and pepper take the place of the chocolate but those flavors are covered in butter too.

This cigar produced so much smoke that I had to open a window, even though the outside temperature was pretty low. The ash is frayed but firm. The draw was great and this cigar paired fine with some dark chocolate. I would call it medium bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, they are a steal at the price Rob is asking for them

Construction: 16 / 20
Draw: 16 / 20
Appearance: 16 / 20
Smoke & ash: 9 / 10
Burn: 12 / 20
Aroma (first part) 7 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 7 / 10
Aroma (last part) 7 / 10
Old 11-27-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation
Default Re: Taboo twist toro

Nice review Don Fer - I agree with you and this stick is a great everyday stick for me!
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

Trading: (5)
Rabidsquirrel is on a distinguished road

Mine started out with a bit of spice to it, and then turned to a sweetness that I can't describe, almost like honey but not quite. Then the chocolate hit me and stayed around for the rest of the cigar.

I'm still undecided about this one. Maybe a different size would be more to my liking.
Rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
SmokeyNL

reminded me a bit of frosting, the sweetness
Old 11-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

First Name: Sam
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Buena Fortuna will become famous soon enough

I just scored one last night in a trade, gonna let it rest awhile before I spark it. Looking forward to it based on the review
Posted via Mobile Device
Buena Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

I really enjoy these, DF. Working through my second box full.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
adampc22

dam lol that looks so nice
Old 11-27-2008, 10:08 PM   #8
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation

I agree that this is a great cigar, and a steal at the price offered by Rob.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #9
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: Taboo twist toro

This is one of my favorites - I've gone through 3 boxes of the Toro (6X58) size and have a few Robustos left from the box I bought. I know I'm going to be calling Rob soon to order some more.

I've enjoyed the creamy smoke that emanates after the stick was been burning for a short time, and the flavors are great. 2 for this whole line!

Old 11-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #10
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Got two in the humi as we speak. You just picked out my next smoke!! Thanks.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
MTB996
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
Partagas
MTB996 is on a distinguished road

Great smokes, especially for the money. BTW, is that a beetle hole near the foot in the pre-light photo?
MTB996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:20 AM   #12
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

yet it is. I contacted Rob about this too, and I froze all the cigars. Of the complete order (that was huge, as it was a group buy for a group of Dutch afficionados) 2 cigars had a beetle hole, so I froze them all.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:27 AM   #13
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Nice review Don. I have been through 1 box and have a second box of robustos resting. For me right now they are either very good or miss so a little rest may fix that. Great pics as usual.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #14
GWags

Great review! I like these for a sweet mild treat. I taste a sweet nutmeg, which I've not tasted yet in another cigar.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:20 PM   #15
WyoBob
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bob
Trading: (1)
WyoBob will become famous soon enough

I just smoked my first one of these this afternoon. It lit, drew and burned well and lasted 3 hours. An interesting cigar with different tastes than I'm used to (cigars in sig line). I liked the cigar but prefer the SFO's (except Lanceros) to the twists in the Taboo line. I'm slowly working my way through a bunch of different Taboos. Should be fun.

WyoBob
WyoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:08 AM   #16
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

I revisited this cigar last week, and reviewed it again:

On my Dutch board sigarenliefhebber.nl we did a huge groupbuy at Taboo, I think two years ago, and I got myself a few boxes of Taboo Twist Toro grande's. I smoked a few when I just got them and shared them a lot with friends. I found one of those 6x58 monsters way down at the bottom of my humidor and decided to light it, it's been a while since I smoked a twist.

When I release this two tone cigar from its cellophane jacket I can smell something that is a mix between a horse and a barnyard. The cigar looks great, I don't know what it is, but I just love the look of a barberpole, and this barbarpole is quite smooth. The dark wrapper is oily while the light colored wrapper is silky and I don't spot any real veins. The construction feels good but the predraw is a bit on the loose side. I can taste a little bit of straw.

I can taste a sweet earth flavor and after a few puffs some chocolate shows up too with some herbs. After an inch the aftertaste is quite spicy, a green herbal spiciness. The flavors are creamy and buttery.

The earth flavor becomes the main flavor, the spice disappears while the chocolate tones it down. There isn't much development in the flavors. After ⅔ I taste some more butter and I also discover some leather.

The smoke time of this monster is an hour and forty five minutes. As expected from previous experiences with the Taboo Twist, I got an enormous amount of thick white smoke and a fine draw. The light colored ash is firm. The burn is good. This cigar is mild to medium bodied and medium flavored.

Would I buy this cigar again? Probably not, even though I liked the flavors, this cigar is a little too mild for me.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
Old 05-25-2010, 04:30 AM   #17
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Great Review, Ferdie! I'm Like WyoBob, Though, The twist Is A Little Too Mild For Me; My Fav. In The Taboo Line Is The SFO!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote