Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
zappaFREAK
The Black Page

First Name: Stephen
Trading: (5)
Cohiba
zappaFREAK is on a distinguished road
Default Tat Flying Pig

My 1st review!!

OK so I became intrigued with this cigar and all the talk of it being great so I got a sample pack of 4. I have had 2 and this was my third of those.

An very interesting porker! It is short and wide like most pigs. It has a very dark complexion, almost black in appearance. I am smoking it in my new smoking area which has been wife approved!!

The smoking room is in the attic. Not the most desirable surroundings but I have made it almost livable with a decent set of speakers which hook up to my ipod, A comfortable chair and a few tables. I set up a few empty boxes on a box to gaze upon while I enjoy the solitude.

Pre light it has a very earthy and leather smell. Upon lighting I get large quantities of smoke and a little tingling sensation of pepper and spice. The flavor builds and tingles the palate.

As I continue the cigar I am struck at how well the ash holds on the stick! It seems anchored to the stick! I am generally not a ash saver but this one did not want to let go!!

At about 2/3 the flavor grows into fillet mignon! Make no mistake this is a meaty stick! I am really enjoying the holding ash and now am hooked into seeing just how long I can keep it!

To my amazement my fingers start getting hot and I grab my trusty alligator clip and continue to nub it. Overall this cigar has been great.

I would highly recommend it IF you are a fan of full body and flavor cigars! I would rate it at 93.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110118_153721.jpg (102.0 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110118_160149.jpg (44.5 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110118_162500.jpg (44.0 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110118_164719.jpg (43.1 KB, 323 views)
Old 01-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
ajacobs

Default Re: Tat Flying Pig

Was it a 9 or t52?
Old 01-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

not a tat
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review.

I would rather just buy the regular no9 or T52 rather than spending the extra money for the Pigs.

Last edited by MedicCook; 01-18-2011 at 05:08 PM.
MedicCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
zappaFREAK
The Black Page

Cohiba

OOPS.
Sorry Liga Privada T52. My 1st review and I screwed it up right in the title. Tried to change it and I can't edit the title!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

EDIT: Beat me to it!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
zappaFREAK
The Black Page

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
Thanks for the review.

I would rather just by the regular no9 or T52 rather than spending the extra money for the Pigs.
I will have to try the regular sizes and the no. 9. This was my 1st experience with the brand.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappaFREAK View Post
I will have to try the regular sizes and the no. 9. This was my 1st experience with the brand.
The Pigs are the same blend as the regular issues. If you liked the Pig you will like the regular issues. I like the T52 over the No.9.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

I've tried the No.9 and love it. I have not yet tried a T52. I have a couple No.9s, a couple T52's and a couple Pigs in my humi. Can't wait to try the T52. I've heard great things about them.

On a side note - I was at my B&M the other day buying the Pigs and the gentleman working there told me that the guy who rolls the Pigs had a heart attack and died. He seemed to indicate that no more Pigs would be rolled. Does anyone know if this is truely the case?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
The Pigs are the same blend as the regular issues. If you liked the Pig you will like the regular issues. I like the T52 over the No.9.
Kinna-sorta...

It's the same tobaccos, but the proportions are a bit different, so technically, it's not really the "same" blend, as there is some extra Nicaraguan ligero and viso in the pigs due to their larger diameter.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave128 View Post
On a side note - I was at my B&M the other day buying the Pigs and the gentleman working there told me that the guy who rolls the Pigs had a heart attack and died. He seemed to indicate that no more Pigs would be rolled. Does anyone know if this is truely the case?
While I can't say if the heart attack story is true or not without checking with Jon, I can say that as of November last year, there were four rolling teams who are responsible for creating the Flying Pigs and if one of the 8 people were to have died it would only affect production until a suitable replacement could be trained for that team, and would not stop production as a whole. Additional training is actually constantly going on, so they might already have someone who is only a very short time away from being ready to produce that particular cigar. Even the production supervisor(s) / trainers could be replaced if they were to be lost, so nothing short of a major catastrophe would make that shape unreproducible.

Regarding the reference to a male roller... none of the rollers at Drew Estates Tobaccos SA are males. The rollers, (rolleras) who are people who finish the cigar and apply the cappa (wrapper) at the factory are women. The men are employed as buncheros, who bunch the tobacco and apply the capote (binder).

Give me a minute or two - I'll toss up some photos of the pigs being rolled if I have them.

Last edited by T.G; 01-19-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
While I can't say if the heart attack story is true or not without checking with Jon, I can say that as of November last year, there were four rolling teams who are responsible for creating the Flying Pigs and if one of the 8 people were to have died it would only affect production until a suitable replacement could be trained for that team, and would not stop production as a whole. Additional training is actually constantly going on, so they might already have someone who is only a very short time away from being ready to produce that particular cigar. Even the production supervisor(s) / trainers could be replaced if they were to be lost, so nothing short of a major catastrophe would make that shape unreproducible.

Regarding the reference to a male roller... none of the rollers at Drew Estates Tobaccos SA are males. The rollers, (rolleras) who are people who finish the cigar and apply the cappa (wrapper) at the factory are women. The men are employed as buncheros, who bunch the tobacco and apply the capote (binder).

Give me a minute or two - I'll toss up some photos of the pigs being rolled if I have them.
Thank you very much for the explanation. I knew the record could be set straight if I mentioned it here.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave128 View Post
Thank you very much for the explanation. I knew the record could be set straight if I mentioned it here.
No problem bro, there's a lot of misinformation that floats around out there. Sometimes sorting it out is tough. Some B&Ms have great employees and owners, some, well, some of them think maduro is a vitola.

I'll post the photos in a new thread once I have them ready.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #14
Dave128
Sexy Dave

You are a gentleman. Thank you.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #15
JohnnyKay5
Armed Forces Tumbleweed

Trading: (22)
Partagas Army (Active)
JohnnyKay5 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyKay5 has a spectacular aura about

Great point. Its one of the facinating things I learned from my trip to Nica. Although thats what Drew Estates and most others use (its a cultural thing there.... a guy rolling would be teased as a homo.) With that being said some companies in Nica are trying to break this mold. Just a tid bit i picked up from the visit.

HIGH FIVE!
JohnnyKay5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #16
swh127
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Scott
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
swh127 is on a distinguished road

I actually prefer the #9s over the T52, but every person has their own tastes.
swh127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #17
Bageland2000
On another adventure

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (2)
RyJ Army (Active)
Bageland2000 is on a distinguished road

The Liga Privada has got to be on my top 5 cigars to experience
Old 01-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #18
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I'll post the photos in a new thread once I have them ready.

Dave,

Thread is up. "Drew Estates Flying Pig Rolling Photos"
Old 01-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #19
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Thank you.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #20
cherry_twist
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (1)
Cohiba
cherry_twist is on a distinguished road

I'm hoping *fingers crossed* to receive a couple of sows in the next few days so this has been an enlightening thread. Thank you for this.
cherry_twist is offline   Reply With Quote