Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-23-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Mayorga torpedo maduro

These nice Nicaraguan cigars are made by Nestor Plasencia and he uses Nicaraguan tobacco for the filler and the binder and either a H2000 from Nicaragua or a dark maduro from Costa Rica as a wrapper. Judging by the color and the flavors from the cigar, I think I smoked one with a Costa Rican maduro wrapper. I brought this cigar back from the US but I can’t remember who gave it to me, as all the BOTL’s I met were way to generous and I lost track.

The 5 x 52 torpedo is a bit box pressed and the top of the torpedo is a bit crooked. The dark wrapper has some slight veins. For a moment I thought this could be a dyed wrapper but I was mistaken, the dark color is for real. I get a light barnyard aroma from the cigar.

I like the sweetness that I taste combined with the coffee and the chocolate. The flavors grown in strength a bit without becoming strong flavors, they stay nice and mellow. The chocolate flavor is the main flavor, and once I reached the mid of the cigar chocolate is the only flavor I get.

This cigar is medium bodied, medium flavored. Quite one dimensional but a very pleasant dimension.

I get more than enough smoke from the cigar, a thick white smoke. The draw is fine and the white ash is quite firm.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, I liked it and they are cheap. Nice humidor filler.

Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Appearance: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Aroma (first part) 6 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 7 / 10
Aroma (last part) 7 / 10
Old 09-23-2009, 06:44 AM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Mayorga torpedo maduro

Thanks for the review.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
WyoBob
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bob
Trading: (1)
WyoBob will become famous soon enough

I used to smoke a lot of Mayorga Hi-Octane maduro's (that come in a triangle shaped box) and liked them quite a bit. But, like lots of other favorites from my past, I fell out of love. I do know that these do not get better with time for me.

Ferdinand: I've been reading a lot of your reviews. I've found that, if I'm in a hurry, I only have to scroll to the last picture to see if the cigar you were smoking was a "buy again". If it's stuck on a "poker", it's a keeper. If not-----.

WyoBob
WyoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I stick a lot of smokes on my nubtool ever since I got it, I love that tool, even opened a topic about it
Old 09-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Ferdie!!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Very nice review!!! Great photos!!!

I like these and you have inspired me to get more!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I've smoked a number of these in the past, and liked them just fine - not exactly my cup of tea, but eminently smokable for the price. Yet speaking of tea, if you like their cigars you should try their Mayorga coffees. I am especially fond of the Kenya AA Serengeti and Ethiopian Yirgaceffe.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

As usual a very nice review.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Glad you didn't have wrapper issues and burn problems w/ this one. The flavor profile is good, but every one I've had didn't want to burn or burned crooked. Several others mention this as well about this stick.

Great review!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote