Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #21
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Liga Privada Unico Serie L40

Thanks, Stephen. The MSRP on the L40 was $12.95.
The info from Saka on aging is here.
I have read and talked about these turds far too much, it's making my head swim.
I've already taken time, a couple years ago, to get Viaje and Tatuaje looked over.
Oddly enough, if there's a line that I think I'd enjoy, it'd be this one.
I'm looking forward to trying the Dirty Rat. I like the words I've read.

One more aside...
If there was ever anyone who shouldn't be doing reviews, because they clearly pull things out of their ass to embellish, it's Charlie at Halfwheel. He gives great info, but his reviews make me wonder if he's even smoking the right stick.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #22
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Dirty Rat you say?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #23
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Thanks, Stephen. The MSRP on the L40 was $12.95.
The info from Saka on aging is here.
I have read and talked about these turds far too much, it's making my head swim.
I've already taken time, a couple years ago, to get Viaje and Tatuaje looked over.

One more aside...
If there was ever anyone who shouldn't be doing reviews, because they clearly pull things out of their ass to embellish, it's Charlie at Halfwheel. He gives great info, but his reviews make me wonder if he's even smoking the right stick.
Scott,

FWIW, Saka's comments were only about the LP9. The T52 is a different blend (only 2 of the 5 filler tobaccos are common between the T52 and the LP9), as is the L40 (again, only a few common components - and more in common with the T52 than the LP9).

Apples and oranges.

Quote:
Ken, the work has already been done, and both JDrew and Brooks have found they don't age well at all. You can count on it.
I'd also like to see a link to where Jonathan said that.

Last edited by T.G; 04-05-2012 at 10:56 AM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #24
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I like apples and oranges both. Especially the great big Florida naval oranges I get around Christmas. I do see your point, though. You'll probably see mine when I say that the common weed along with even more tobaccos are equally likely to give up the ghost in a hurry. That's certainly been my experience with blends that employ 5 or 6 tobaccos. Think "shop blends".

I think the verbage from Johnathan is on the iphone app, Adam. That doesn't make much sense, but that's what just came up when I checked my brain.
I've read so much stuff on these cigars since I smoked that one the other day that I really don't remember. I don't even read that much about cigars I like, for crying out loud.
I have to dig around some more before I smoke this dirty rat, t52, FFP and JD4 I have. I'll post up whatever I find.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #25
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Scott, I just smoked a 2-1/2 year old T52 (from the original release batch) a few days ago at Ratters house, they're holding up fine. I also have some 3 year old pre-releases I can dig out and try at some point. I will say that I do feel that the LP9 loses it's luster somewhere along the way, yet I know people who absolutely love the aged ones. As for the L40, for you or me to sit here saying what that cigar will turn into in three years is just blindly throwing darts and hoping something hits the bristle and sticks.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #26
srduggins
Feeling at Home

First Name: steve
LGC
srduggins will become famous soon enoughsrduggins will become famous soon enough

I believe the LP9 Brooks smoked was 6 years old, so you're halfway there. There probably aren't many NCs that can age a further 6 years after release.

Brooks also thought the EPC EI 2009 went downhill quickly, but I still enjoyed the last one I smoked. Different smokes for different folks.

So far the L40 is near the top of my LP list, but wasn't a fan of the JJ maduro when I had it last (a few years ago). It may be time to try that one again.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #27
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srduggins View Post
I believe the LP9 Brooks smoked was 6 years old, so you're halfway there.

Scott's the one who stated back in the first half of the thread that they would be dead at 3 years.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #28
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

Aluminum? Does this come in a tube? Were you smoking the tube Scott?

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #29
LigaPrivadaT84

Can't get enough L40s. Love the Sancho Panzas, but don't enjoy the Vegas 'A' nearly as much. Not sure what flavor profile they all share except the chocolate flavors one can find in most maduros. Agree that the construction on the LPs is much better than Sanchos especially the cap. In my experience, the L40 have much more nutty character and earthy flavors not found in any Sanchos or 5Vegas.

Last edited by LigaPrivadaT84; 04-05-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:12 AM   #30
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Here's the thing, it's one of my absolute favorite flavor profiles, and I've chased this profile to the ends of the earth. At a time, it's all I'd smoke to the tune of 5 sticks a day. That's why I liked it.
But it's a "beginner stick" in the profile, albeit well done. This profile should lead a guy to Padron Anni's and Anejo and LGDiez Vintage maduros and oscuros at the same (or similar) price-point. Those sticks do much, much more for the coin.
Scott, if you enjoy that flavor profile I would honestly try all the DE LP stuff if I were you. Many have them have the same profile IMO. The LP9 may have a bit less chocolate and some more spice and the T52 ramps up the chocolate flavor without the spice. The FFP is just on another playing field in strength but again has similar flavor profiles as the others. That is why I love the DE LP stuff so much. It hits my flavor spot perfectly! I know it's been a long time coming that you finally tried this L40 but heck, give em all a shot! I would love to hear what you think!
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:16 AM   #31
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Ken, the work has already been done, and both JDrew and Brooks have found they don't age well at all. You can count on it. You have a couple choices:
1.) Get your heart broke.
2.) Sell some stuff and keep buying freshies, refilling as you go.
Ask yourself if you really, honestly believe that five years from now you'll be smoking these sticks. Use the evidence you've seen in droves here, everyone's tastes change.
These sticks will not remain htf for long. They're bringing too much coin and they need to get them out there to make money while the sun is shining. I'd look for the price to tank (were these not 7 bucks at release?). They're already becoming a lot easier to find. It's the standard progression of this profile of stick.
JJ maduros were around $240 a box a few years ago. Now they're $100. Same profile. Blends fall out of favor as new ones appear.
I've made the mistake of overstocking sticks that don't age well, don't get your nuts caught in that vice.
I just think I need to start smoking them then! I am glad that I came across your feedback on this. If I do continue to love the DE LP stuff in the future I will just buy some up since as you say it is likely they will become more available and maybe even less expensive. I wouldn't say I am sitting on a ton of it right now, but I do have a pretty nice collection of all the DE LP line up, all of which are at prime smoking. Time to fire up!
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:54 AM   #32
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Scott, I just smoked a 2-1/2 year old T52 (from the original release batch) a few days ago at Ratters house, they're holding up fine. I also have some 3 year old pre-releases I can dig out and try at some point. I will say that I do feel that the LP9 loses it's luster somewhere along the way, yet I know people who absolutely love the aged ones. As for the L40, for you or me to sit here saying what that cigar will turn into in three years is just blindly throwing darts and hoping something hits the bristle and sticks.
I can see where you're coming from, Adam.
I tried to very carefully preface my opinions by my comments on not only old "value" blends, but also Padron Annis. Some people prefer aging on nc's on a wide scale, I don't. A couple years, yes. Past a few years, no.
Of all the nc's laying around here that have caught a good amount of age, the Anejo is the only one I can confidently say that really hangs on to some spark. Litto's LGD line does well, just thought of that one.
Time will bear it out. I'd be willing to bet you dinner on it, my friend. Whatta ya think, steaks or Mexican?
Old 04-06-2012, 05:16 AM   #33
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Great discussion guys, I continue to learn a lot from the great reviews....thanks for sharing.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #34
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

I smoked my first Feral Flying Pig last night. I liked the flavors it put off, but they never changed. That's not bad for a shorter smoke, but for a cigar that took me the better part of two hours to finish I got pretty bored with it. Who knows, maybe I have cigar ADD? My thoughts? What you see (or in this case smoke) is what you get. You'll know in less than 30 seconds whether or not you're going to like or dislike this cigar, because it doesn't deviate much from there.

I have no doubt that my palate is far less refined than most on here, so I'll defer to someone who knows what they're talking about.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #35
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I smoked my first Feral Flying Pig last night. I liked the flavors it put off, but they never changed. That's not bad for a shorter smoke, but for a cigar that took me the better part of two hours to finish I got pretty bored with it. Who knows, maybe I have cigar ADD? My thoughts? What you see (or in this case smoke) is what you get. You'll know in less than 30 seconds whether or not you're going to like or dislike this cigar, because it doesn't deviate much from there.

I have no doubt that my palate is far less refined than most on here, so I'll defer to someone who knows what they're talking about.
I have an FFP on my desk and a couple in the humi. It's too much smoke for the garage, it'll stink up the whole world. I'll give it a try when it warms up a bit.
My guess is that you're right on target, brother.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #36
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
I can see where you're coming from, Adam.
I tried to very carefully preface my opinions by my comments on not only old "value" blends, but also Padron Annis. Some people prefer aging on nc's on a wide scale, I don't. A couple years, yes. Past a few years, no.
Of all the nc's laying around here that have caught a good amount of age, the Anejo is the only one I can confidently say that really hangs on to some spark. Litto's LGD line does well, just thought of that one.
Time will bear it out. I'd be willing to bet you dinner on it, my friend. Whatta ya think, steaks or Mexican?
Scott, your opinion of the cigar and how it compares to Sancho Panza doble maduros or the 5 Vegas A line is just that, your opinion. I have made no comments on those statements. I think it's great that you feel you can buy a $2-$3 5 Vegas A and for your own enjoyment, get the same profile. Not everyone seems to agree with you, but, I'm honestly glad that you can get off that cheap.

It's your authoritative claims as to the potential of these cigars that I'm addressing. You even went so far in your word of god claims to say that Jonathan, Saka and Brooks all had already proven your statements, when in reality, all that had been said was a benign review by Charlie (not Brooks) and some random commentary by Saka about a different cigar.

If you wish to believe that you have some crystal ball about cigar aging, go for it. Just remember, not even Saka nor Jonathan would come out and make such authoritative statements, and each one of them knows more than the both of us combined. And to top it off, they blended the cigar that you claim to be an expert on after smoking but a single sample.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #37
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Scott, your opinion of the cigar and how it compares to Sancho Panza doble maduros or the 5 Vegas A line is just that, your opinion. I have made no comments on those statements. I think it's great that you feel you can buy a $2-$3 5 Vegas A and for your own enjoyment, get the same profile. Not everyone seems to agree with you, but, I'm honestly glad that you can get off that cheap.

It's your authoritative claims as to the potential of these cigars that I'm addressing. You even went so far in your word of god claims to say that Jonathan, Saka and Brooks all had already proven your statements, when in reality, all that had been said was a benign review by Charlie (not Brooks) and some random commentary by Saka about a different cigar.

If you wish to believe that you have some crystal ball about cigar aging, go for it. Just remember, not even Saka nor Jonathan would come out and make such authoritative statements, and each one of them knows more than the both of us combined. And to top it off, they blended the cigar that you claim to be an expert on after smoking but a single sample.
Word of god claims, they were? You sure put a lot of faith in me.
If I was confused in my claims, I apologize. I wonder if you've lifted a finger to research and dispute my claims? I already told you I'd go search again as time allows and gather the links for you. I'm sorry that satiating your doubt isn't the driving influence in my life, especially considering you have a keyboard in front of you the same as I do.
I relayed my experiences on cigar aging as my experiences in my and my opinions. Simply that. You're welcome to take it or leave it, as is anyone. Imagine this, you could actually do your own review and voice your opinions.
I'm not sure where I claimed to be an expert on the cigar, but after realizing you think I'm godly, I can see where you'd think that. I'm flattered, but I can assure you, I'm far from godly.
I'm happy to hear your opinions on my opinions, I figure they're about as valuable as mine. I've appreciated your opinions for quite some time, agreed with many, and disagreed with some. I just never felt the need to be condescending.
I think you need a hug.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #38
srduggins
Feeling at Home

First Name: steve
LGC
srduggins will become famous soon enoughsrduggins will become famous soon enough

A couple of classic posts right there.

Quote:
Scott's the one who stated back in the first half of the thread that they would be dead at 3 years.
thanks for pointing this out. I've been reading the thread from the beginning, I must've forgotten that.

While I don't think it is a far cry to think a NC cigar is better after 1 year, than it is after 3, I also don't think many of them would be "dead" after 3 years.