Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 03-02-2010, 06:04 AM   #1
GhostRyder
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Sam
Trading: (2)
GhostRyder is on a distinguished road
Default Alcohol on the cruise...

Gents,

I've already posted about picking up CCs on our Western Caribbean cruise (Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Isla Roatan, Belize) but as I continue reading about things on the internet I see people getting sweet deals on alcohol. I'm a rum fan, any recommendations on what to buy and where? How about Cuban rum? Can I find it, or get it back into the country?

I'm open to anything though, except maybe Tequila. Too many bad experiences.

Anyway, boarding the boat in 5 days.

Sam
GhostRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Alcohol on the cruise...

Cuban rum is nothing special. Outside of cigars, Cuba has some nice coffee beans. Cubita (sp) in a shiny black bag is really nice unique.

I think you'll be disappointed on your cigar search on the cruise. May I suggest that you bring enough cigars to smoke?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Trading: (23)
chenvt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Cuban rum is nothing special. Outside of cigars, Cuba has some nice coffee beans. Cubita (sp) in a shiny black bag is really nice unique.

I think you'll be disappointed on your cigar search on the cruise. May I suggest that you bring enough cigars to smoke?
concur on the cigars... Bring your own because a) you can't trust too many places along the carribean to buy legit ones and b) the cruise will have overpriced cigars with a limited selection
chenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Keep in mind that cruises frown upon bringing alcohol on the ship. I know at least Royal Carribean considers the discovery of alcohol in your room as grounds to kick you off the ship at the next port of call. I don't know if they'd actually do it, but the threat is there. They make a lot of money off the booze they sell on the boat - they don't want you drinking your own. Maybe they have some way to store the stuff you buy until the cruise is over. Just something to be aware of.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Keep in mind that cruises frown upon bringing alcohol on the ship. I know at least Royal Carribean considers the discovery of alcohol in your room as grounds to kick you off the ship at the next port of call. I don't know if they'd actually do it, but the threat is there. They make a lot of money off the booze they sell on the boat - they don't want you drinking your own. Maybe they have some way to store the stuff you buy until the cruise is over. Just something to be aware of.
I highly doubt they would kick you off the ship (from my experience on a cruise ship). They would probably take your alcohol. The cruise ship is responsible for you and to leave you behind for having alcohol in the room seems extreme. I went on a cruise to Bermuda last summer and we put booze in water bottles and mouth wash bottles (the whitening ones that you can't see through) and had no issues getting it onboard or storing it in the room and we saved a ton of money since beers were $6 for domestic and $7 for import beers and mixed drinks were $7. I was on the Norwegian Spirit for what it's worth.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Cruise ships don't let you bring alcohol because it would kill their profit structure. That said you can bring it but it won't be allowed past security. They will tag and store it then release it to you after cleared with US Customs. They will declare the amount you bought for you so if you go apeshit on the purchasing you will likely be charged some IRT.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post
I highly doubt they would kick you off the ship (from my experience on a cruise ship). They would probably take your alcohol. The cruise ship is responsible for you and to leave you behind for having alcohol in the room seems extreme. I went on a cruise to Bermuda last summer and we put booze in water bottles and mouth wash bottles (the whitening ones that you can't see through) and had no issues getting it onboard or storing it in the room and we saved a ton of money since beers were $6 for domestic and $7 for import beers and mixed drinks were $7. I was on the Norwegian Spirit for what it's worth.
It would certainly be extreme - I'm sure they reserve the right to do so, however. I didn't mean to imply that they would go searching through the room for it - I'm sure if its well-concealed, it won't be discovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Cruise ships don't let you bring alcohol because it would kill their profit structure. That said you can bring it but it won't be allowed past security. They will tag and store it then release it to you after cleared with US Customs. They will declare the amount you bought for you so if you go apeshit on the purchasing you will likely be charged some IRT.
This makes sense.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

Carnival typically has super cheap prices in the on boat store... It is the same stuff you buy here at prices that will make you look twice. The rule I think is two bottles per person before taxes start accumulating once you are getting off the boat, though I have yet to meet the agent who is concerned about taxing your massive pile of alcohol. On our honeymoon two years ago I purchased 8 bottles of various rums and some crown[ I think the bill for bottles averaged out to $10 a liter and most bottles are liters] plus two bottles of tequila from Cozumel all claimed and the checker looked at my slip signed and let me off.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

LGC

Also of note the bottles you purchase on board are held until the last night before you are back in the home port... So you will drink their booze instead of yours
Old 03-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #10
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Whatever booze u choose to purchase, remember u can get it in bottles larger than 1.75 litters. I bought a 2 litter bottle of Jack in Nassau and the empty bottle looks awesome on my mantel

Secondly, as far as sneaking alcohol on, I went on a spring break cruise last year and used Rum Runner flasks from the link below. I had no problem wrapping the flasks in my clothes and saved A TON of money!

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/

Old 03-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Out of all the Duty Free's and tourist destinations I have travelled around the world, I have yet to find booze less expensive than MA and NH as a general rule. Even Logan's Duty free is nowhere as good as just going to NH State Liquor Store...
Old 03-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFPowersmoker320 View Post
Whatever booze u choose to purchase, remember u can get it in bottles larger than 1.75 litters. I bought a 2 litter bottle of Jack in Nassau and the empty bottle looks awesome on my mantel

Secondly, as far as sneaking alcohol on, I went on a spring break cruise last year and used Rum Runner flasks from the link below. I had no problem wrapping the flasks in my clothes and saved A TON of money!

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/

This will be a great investment for the next cruise last time the wife drank up a $600 dollar bill before I could turn around. They get you with that damn card oh just swipe it and we will sort out the bodies later
Old 03-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Out of all the Duty Free's and tourist destinations I have travelled around the world, I have yet to find booze less expensive than MA and NH as a general rule. Even Logan's Duty free is nowhere as good as just going to NH State Liquor Store...
The beauty of growing up on the MA/NH line.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #14
Eagle53

I think every cruise line has different procedures as far as how thoroughly they check for alcohol. Ive had some friends that have bought one of the enormous listerine bottles and then drilled out the bottom (to keep the seal on top) filled it with vodka + blue dye and then seal the bottom with wax and voilą you have brought nearly undetectable alcohol.

Also the only way to get legit CCs anywhere in the world is to look for the Habanos sign in the window. Im sure Im preaching to the choir but Habanos is the only legal exporter of CCs and any store that gets them must display the sign.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #15
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle53 View Post

Also the only way to get legit CCs anywhere in the world is to look for the Habanos sign in the window. Im sure Im preaching to the choir but Habanos is the only legal exporter of CCs and any store that gets them must display the sign.
There are tons of places that have that sticker that peddle fakes.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #16
Eagle53

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
There are tons of places that have that sticker that peddle fakes.
dont ruin this for me lol
Old 03-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #17
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

If you want to buy Habanos on your cruise it is quite simple. State the ports you going to and ask here for Habanos dealers. Some destinations may have a LCDH.

You will be disappointed if you have ever been to a major store that sells Habanos like in Europe or SE Asia. Canada has a couple of good stores, Mexico has 4-5, maybe one or two the Carribean, and that's it for all of North America (except for Cuba) for "nice" Habanos stores - 12 at most. Perhaps not news you want, but the reality.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #18
colimo
friend of Brother Maynard

First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough

one other point to note....the import of cuban rum into US is subject to same law as cigars...i.e. they will seize it
Old 03-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #19
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

I like Havana Club 7 yr Rum. It's not outstanding, but it's worth trying once. While in Belize, look for 'One Barrel'. It's dirt cheap here, so don't pay a lot for it, but it's hard to find (at least for me), has an interesting taste. When you're in the Caymans, look for Seven Fathoms. It's a small distillery that ages their rum in barrels on the ocean floor. Every batch is different due to the size of the operation, good news is they seem to be improving. That rum is only available on Grand Cayman, also worth trying if you're in the area. Don't forget to grab a Tortuga rum cake while you're there!
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #20
GhostRyder
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Sam
Trading: (2)
GhostRyder is on a distinguished road

Well thanks for all the pointers guys. I've done some reading on cruisecritic and other sites. Does checked luggage actually get searched or x-rayed? I just can't handle paying 30 dollars for an 8 dollar bottle of wine (and I'm sure there are plenty more alcohol injustices on the boat), I have to find a way to get it on there for free.
GhostRyder is offline   Reply With Quote