Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 11-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #1241
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Latest Pipe-Related Purchase Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeavran1 View Post
1st TAD order in awhile as I've been focusing on cigars...
Nice haul Rich But, the Captain Black Grape?
Old 11-19-2016, 01:38 PM   #1242
Zeavran1
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Rich
Trading: (0)
Zeavran1 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Latest Pipe-Related Purchase Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Nice haul Rich But, the Captain Black Grape?
Yeah I had to do it. Curiosity got to me.
Zeavran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:41 PM   #1243
Zeavran1
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Rich
Trading: (0)
Zeavran1 is on a distinguished road

But then I came back with this.
Zeavran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:44 PM   #1244
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

Hot ziggity! Nice little lot Rich. I'm getting into their tobacco now - esp like the Royal and Tashkent. Haven't broken open the Thanksgiving Day, but it smells pretty good!
Old 12-01-2016, 06:27 PM   #1245
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Hello Neil, I would think so, but do not know the long term at this time. I just sent an email to Peretti' inquiring about "just how airtight are the 8oz tin's in regards to cellaring over a period of time."

I'll let you know once I have received a response back from them.

Did Peretti ever reply regarding the paint tin air permeability?
Old 12-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #1246
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
Did Peretti ever reply regarding the paint tin air permeability?
They did not Neil, which is a little frustrating. It was a very simple email request too.

For myself, I'm not really worried about it. On the two paint tins I have, I know once I open one of them, I'll work from the tin for a bit, and then transfer over Kerr or Mason jars until conclusion.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:17 PM   #1247
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Was running low on some stuff:

Only had 1000grams of this cellared, and about 250g left of the open one, so I picked up another 500gram box.

Opened up the first pint of my last pound and half of Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake, so ordered another 1/5 pound package.

In looking around, I realized I only had 1 quart jar with this in it, so I ordered another 8oz of Gawith & Hoggarth Bright CR Flake. (Yes, I do not smoke as much of this as the 2 previous.

Getting other images was easier than taking pics.

Also got 4 oz of Gawith & Hoggarth's new Cherry Cream flake to test drive. First bowl was favorable, nice Virginias and the cherry/cream was nothing like the cloying stuff normally associated with cherry blends.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #1248
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Interesting pulls on the Peretti tobaccos. Interesting because I do not know that I have ever tried any of their blends in the last 30+ years.

(time lapse to do some investigating...)

Ahh, I see now why. MacBaren blends bite me like a rabid dog, not sure why, but there is not a blend of their I tried that did not. And as I looked at Tobacco Reviews, I saw a few there that would be up my alley, but there were a couple that said they have to be treated with kid gloves of they'll bite. I now remember visiting the shop in Boston while I lived in Connecticut. I think I was warned, so I just avoided - or I may have sampled one while there, and decided to avoid further attempts.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #1249
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

Partagas

Dagner Damascus Series bent Dublin. Christmas gift form me to me:

Old 12-09-2016, 05:06 PM   #1250
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

^^^ Sharp looking pipe Neil. About 5" or so in length?
Old 12-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #1251
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

Partagas

About that - has a gorgeous Damascus steel band. The photo really doesn't do it justice.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #1252
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

Partagas

24 oz of Lane 1Q - bottled and labelled. To be split three ways on the weekend. Great deal from Cup O'Joes at about $12 CAD a jar (4oz) landed.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:47 PM   #1253
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

how do you cut those labels?
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #1254
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

Partagas

Avery 2" round labels, colour printer
The Avery website has templates and you pretty much drag and drop

Likely a copyright issue - but I'm a bit OCDC and like my stuff neat.....
Don't think the Lane people will be snooping around my cellar anytime soon....
Old 12-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #1255
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Interesting pulls on the Peretti tobaccos. Interesting because I do not know that I have ever tried any of their blends in the last 30+ years.

(time lapse to do some investigating...)

Ahh, I see now why. MacBaren blends bite me like a rabid dog, not sure why, but there is not a blend of their I tried that did not. And as I looked at Tobacco Reviews, I saw a few there that would be up my alley, but there were a couple that said they have to be treated with kid gloves of they'll bite. I now remember visiting the shop in Boston while I lived in Connecticut. I think I was warned, so I just avoided - or I may have sampled one while there, and decided to avoid further attempts.
Tod - the English blends I've had from them are tasty and have been benign on the bite front. Don't know about the aros, other than Thanksgiving, which I was cautious with, but seemed fine.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #1256
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Avery 2" round labels, colour printer
The Avery website has templates and you pretty much drag and drop

Likely a copyright issue - but I'm a bit OCDC and like my stuff neat.....
Don't think the Lane people will be snooping around my cellar anytime soon....
Actually, even if Lane did see your labels, I am not sure they'd object. After all, you put them on their proprietary blend of tobacco, you are not using it to defraud, and if ever you pass it along, you are promoting them. Sounds like a win for them.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:03 PM   #1257
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Tod - the English blends I've had from them are tasty and have been benign on the bite front. Don't know about the aros, other than Thanksgiving, which I was cautious with, but seemed fine.
It has been at least 17 years since I visited the shop, probably more, so I do not remember what blends I tried.

But there is another caveat, I have come a long way in my pipe smoking and so I have my general go-to blends, not really ranging much outside that.

This does not mean that I do not like to try new stuff, but I do not actively look for new things to try, that zeal has sort of left me (at least for right now). And even when I do try new things, I confine that to the "genres"/types of blends that I prefer, avoiding those things of which I am not a fan.

I avoid Burley blends, they NEVER did much for me. While I might try one, it takes serious twisting on the part of someone to get me to do so - usually involving a firearm and the side of my head.

Orientals also never really tripped my trigger much. I can tolerate a little in a blend that is predominantly something else, but...

I do have a couple of aromatics hanging around, but they usually only get dragged out when I want to please those around me. As I have gotten curmudgeonly, that happens less frequently. And, for me to have one, the top note has got to be done with a delicate hand, and I prefer to have it done to good Virginias to begin.

Lastly, there are what people have come to refer to as English blends, that is, blends with some measure of Latakia in them. I used to love these. I have a few around, but I rarely dip into them anymore, and they do not have the same appeal.

I love straight Virginia blends and VaPers (Virginia/Perique), they are almost solely what I smoke. I have tried literally, hundreds of such, and my cellar contains those which have pleased me the most. I like trying them, but then I end up comparing them to what I do have.

I smoke a pipe once or twice a week, if even that during some seasons. For this reason, 50g or 100g lasts quite a while. Having 4 or 5 things open is a lot wiser than 10-20 (yes, I did that for a long time, sometimes even more) if your consumption rate is like mine.

Wow, did this ramble on.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #1258
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Went over to my local B&M this afternoon in Stevenson Ranch, and gave him a little support. A tin of Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture and a new Czech tool...

Old 12-13-2016, 04:15 PM   #1259
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Love Elizabethan Mixture.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:00 PM   #1260
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Love Elizabethan Mixture.
I went over to the B&M originally to purchase an extra Czech tool (cuz you never know), and thought I'd peruse the shelving to see what tin's they may have in stock. I've seen many favorable reviews for this Dunhill blend, and when I saw they had a few in-stock, I decided to pick one up.

A number of the older reviews I've read were regarding the now defunct Murray's blend. The one I purchased is the newer blend from STG. So that will be my benchmark. Maybe Pipestuds web page will offer an old tin of the Murry's blend one of these fine days (as long as the price of the tin isn't too unreasonable that is).

I'll probably pop the lid fairly soon...