Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

View Poll Results: In your opinion, can satellite and Redbox be replaced by Netflix
Yes 4 20.00%
No 16 80.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Netflix instead of satellite & Redbox???

My wife and I are looking at the posibility of dropping our satellite, no longer using Redbox and replacing these with Netflix.
I have a few questions that the Netflix website doesn't satisfy, maybe some of you Netflix experienced people can answer.
(We watch alot of current TV shows and often rent movies from Redbox)

Questions:
1.) Does Netflix have current episodes of TV shows that are running now or just past seasons?
(Example: Can I watch the new season of Walking Dead when it starts again?)
2.) Can you get current episodes of HBO original series shows?
3.) What is Netflix que? (people say, "That is in my Netflix que" often)
4.) How fast can you begin watching a desired program?
5.) Is the movie selection that much better with the mail orders?
6.) How long is the turn around for mail order DVDs?
7.) Is there a better service than Netflix out there?

The big question:
In your opinion can we replace our satellite service and stop using Redbox if we get Netflix?

Thanks everybody for whatever feedback you can offer, I may try the free trial but want to know what to expect in advance.
*I have read through many of the other Netflix threads here, but didn't find exactly what info I was looking for, and didn't want to thread jack.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Netflix instead of satellite & Redbox???

You can find what shows they have and don't have with a visit to their web page. Their DVD movie selection is far, far better than the instant view selection. As far as how "fast" you can watch a program, it will depend on your ISP, among other things.

Honestly, the free trial is the best way to get answers to all your questions. What works for one may not for another; give it a try and then you'll know for sure.

We have it, and I ask myself every month if I got my $$$ worth. However, we do also have Comcast HD cable and several premium channels, so we have more TV than we have time to watch it...
Old 01-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Yes, but I would also use Hulu.com for TV shows.

Questions:
1.) Does Netflix have current episodes of TV shows that are running now or just past seasons? No, Netflix's TV selection using watch now sucks.
(Example: Can I watch the new season of Walking Dead when it starts again?)
2.) Can you get current episodes of HBO original series shows? No.
3.) What is Netflix que? (people say, "That is in my Netflix que" often) It's the movies/shows that are lined up wating for you to return your outstanding dvd, before they will ship your next program.

4.) How fast can you begin watching a desired program? As fast as your internet connection speed (it takes me less than 1 minute)

5.) Is the movie selection that much better with the mail orders? NO, the mail order selection is much, much better.

6.) How long is the turn around for mail order DVDs? 2 days each way on average in PA. For example if I return a DVD on Monday, I should receive the next DVD in my que on Thurday or Friday.

7.) Is there a better service than Netflix out there? Check out Blockbuster?

Last edited by ade06; 01-19-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Editing is fun
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Why pay for anything when you already pay for internet? Every tv show is streamed or available for download for free, somewhere.

You mentioned Walking Dead. If you can't find a live stream, AMC has the episodes posted on their site the next day.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
My wife and I are looking at the posibility of dropping our satellite, no longer using Redbox and replacing these with Netflix.
I have a few questions that the Netflix website doesn't satisfy, maybe some of you Netflix experienced people can answer.
(We watch alot of current TV shows and often rent movies from Redbox)

Questions:
1.) Does Netflix have current episodes of TV shows that are running now or just past seasons?
(Example: Can I watch the new season of Walking Dead when it starts again?)NO, I am still waiting on TWD season II to appear on Netflix. Further, they have very very few actual current shows available. You usually end up waiting about 3-6 months after season completion to get a show.
2.) Can you get current episodes of HBO original series shows?No, Netflix doesn't carry any (don't quote any) HBO shows. I looked up Dexter for example
3.) What is Netflix que? (people say, "That is in my Netflix que" often) Just like any other que...movies/shows you plan to watch you put here so you don't forget about them
4.) How fast can you begin watching a desired program? Not sure of the question...netflix is instant if you have it streamed to a device.
5.) Is the movie selection that much better with the mail orders?EXTREMELY...but you pay double the price. 7.99 for streaming, another 7.99 to use mail (but that's only one DVD out at a time)
6.) How long is the turn around for mail order DVDs? Pretty quick...usually wait about 2 days and it is here.
7.) Is there a better service than Netflix out there? Totally! There are many (ex. apple tv, Roku, etc.) The one I use is Google TV...why? Because it is a box that is hooked up to my internet and runs through my TV...therefore I have full internet on the TV...including things like Netflix (Hulu hasn't bought into the GoogleTV thing yet, so that's a bummer because they have all the current stuff on there...in time) The other thing I like about googleTV is that you can simply search a show and watch it through outside sites that have posted it...for example, the newest season of breaking bad is not on netflix yet, so i simply search it and watch it through the internet in HD on my tv. TWD would be the same thing

The big question:
In your opinion can we replace our satellite service and stop using Redbox if we get Netflix?
Absolutely NOT! Not if you are big into current shows. If I were you I would look at Roku..the only reason being is that maybe they have Hulu Plus already. If not, I say GoogleTV is your way to go for now. Once Hulu Plus is open (same type of subscription as netflix for streaming) then you will have ALL of your current shows and then the answer is YES you can get by without satellite and redbox!

Thanks everybody for whatever feedback you can offer, I may try the free trial but want to know what to expect in advance.
Let me know if you have any other questions bro!
Old 01-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Why pay for anything when you already pay for internet? Every tv show is streamed or available for download for free, somewhere.

You mentioned Walking Dead. If you can't find a live stream, AMC has the episodes posted on their site the next day.
I don't want to watch them on my computer though. Do you have a good recommendation of how to watch them on my TV? I was planning on streaming Netfix with my Wii.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I don't want to watch them on my computer though. Do you have a good recommendation of how to watch them on my TV? I was planning on streaming Netfix with my Wii.
If your TV doesn't have wifi, you can stream internet via some of the newer dvd player devices such as Wii or you can conncet using S-video cable.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post

I agree here for sure! Everything is available somewhere, you just have to look (and it may be a little less than perfect quality then on actual cable). This is the reason why I got the google...just pay for the device and no monthly fees. No regrets so far because my TV is the internet now...watching shoes on a 52 inch is WAY better than a 15 inch laptop.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade06 View Post
If your TV doesn't have wifi, you can stream internet via some of the newer dvd player devices such as Wii or you can conncet using S-video cable.
This is true...but by using an S-video cable you have to have your laptop beside you to use the key board on it.

I'm not trying to sell you on GoogleTV, but it is way easier than having the laptop beside you...but how much is that really worth? just my opinion since you were asking.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

On your first question it depends on what Netflix agreement with the producers says some shows you get reasonably quick but most not until the season is over. To alleviate this I would add Hulu Plus to my netflix subscription(They are better for current shows).

The que is a list you create basically it's your favorites or stuff you plan to watch soon. This way the title is on hand and you don't have to run a search(Useful because in some cases it's easier to find a title on your computer than on your entertainment devices)

your internet speed determines streaming speed

Mail orders do have a better selection. when I still had the mail portion turn around was 3-4 days depending on when I sent one in.

I use netflix, Amazon Prime Instant Video, have tried HULU, and Blockbuster. I prefer netflix and amazon. Content varies across the various providers so YMMV.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaase321 View Post
This is true...but by using an S-video cable you have to have your laptop beside you to use the key board on it.

I'm not trying to sell you on GoogleTV, but it is way easier than having the laptop beside you...but how much is that really worth? just my opinion since you were asking.
I am not going to be using my laptop, I will be using my Mac desktop. It is far from my TV. So after looking at Google TV, it appears I can just go to BestBuy, purchase some kind of Internet TV thing and done?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindedByScience View Post
You can find what shows they have and don't have with a visit to their web page.
I had already done that but it doesn't tell me how current the episodes are. They show TWD but not if it is old seasons.

You guys have answered many of my questions already, thanks.
I don't think Netflix alone is what I am looking for. I really need TV shows current if not live. I will have to look into another source, maybe I will go to BestBuy after work and ask them what they recommend.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #13
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

Partagas

Quote:
I am not going to be using my laptop, I will be using my Mac desktop. It is far from my TV. So after looking at Google TV, it appears I can just go to BestBuy, purchase some kind of Internet TV thing and done?
Yep...the internet tv thing is what I did, I got mine from Best Buy. I think they may sell Roku, but not sure. They def sell Apple TV. Also, fyi Hulu Plus is supposed to be coming to Wii sometime soon...so maybe you might want to check into that to get some more info on the time frame, since that would require no new purchases other than the subscription.

Also, I think if you got Apple TV you could stream from your Mac to your apple TV and that may allow you to watch Hulu Plus that way.

As you can see...I think Hulu Plus or Amazon Instant are far better options than Netflix
Old 01-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaase321 View Post
Yep...the internet tv thing is what I did, I got mine from Best Buy. I think they may sell Roku, but not sure. They def sell Apple TV. Also, fyi Hulu Plus is supposed to be coming to Wii sometime soon...so maybe you might want to check into that to get some more info on the time frame, since that would require no new purchases other than the subscription.

Also, I think if you got Apple TV you could stream from your Mac to your apple TV and that may allow you to watch Hulu Plus that way.

As you can see...I think Hulu Plus or Amazon Instant are far better options than Netflix
I may have to look into Apple TV also then, I have a friend with it and I wasn't impressed but maybe he wasnt using it to its full capabilities.

Basically I want one service that I can watch new release movies, older & "classic" movies as well as new TV shows as they are aired. I have what I need now with Satellite and Redbox, but I hate stopping at Redboxs and my satellite bill is rediculous.

Hulu Plus still shows coming soon for Wii.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I had already done that but it doesn't tell me how current the episodes are. They show TWD but not if it is old seasons.
....dunno, this seems pretty clear (Season one only so far):

http://www2.netflix.com/Movie/The-Wa...l&trkid=222336

I guess I don't see what you have to lose with a free trial...??

Good luck on your search....
Old 01-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #16
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

First Name: Mark
Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

My main contention for sticking with the satellite is that you cannot watch live sporting events without it. I am not sure if the google TV can get live sporting events or not, but I know that Netflix, hulu, etc. cannot.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #17
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

Partagas

Quote:
I may have to look into Apple TV also then, I have a friend with it and I wasn't impressed but maybe he wasnt using it to its full capabilities.

Basically I want one service that I can watch new release movies, older & "classic" movies as well as new TV shows as they are aired. I have what I need now with Satellite and Redbox, but I hate stopping at Redboxs and my satellite bill is rediculous.

Well, you will get one device to do all of this for you...it's just a matter of subscriptions after that. With internet TV you are awarded the ability to forgo those subscriptions if you do internet searches for what you are looking for. For example, the you tube links you posted a couple days ago of old zombie movies. Sure they would probably be viewed better on Netflix (if they had them), but you found it and you watched it....

As for AppleTV, it doesn't show that it is supported for Hulu yet...my honest opinion would be GTV or Roku (Roku has Hulu Plus) because of the streaming abilities. If you want to pay for subscriptions then Roku is the winner...if you want the net at your fingertips (and most subscriptions) then GTV is the winner.

Best Buy will certainly know more than I though Not sure if they carry the Roku though.

Best of luck
Old 01-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #18
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarnold1 View Post
My main contention for sticking with the satellite is that you cannot watch live sporting events without it. I am not sure if the google TV can get live sporting events or not, but I know that Netflix, hulu, etc. cannot.
It depends, since GoogleTV (GTV) is basically the net, if you can get streams of live events on the internet you should be able to on it I WOULD ASSUME. I have watched the masters on it, it was spotty.

As for all events, there may be an App on GTV that would allow that...not sure. It just depends on if the internet site you are looking for your game on is compliant with GTV...not all are, for example Hulu Plus
Old 01-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #19
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:

Hold off on Apple TV as the rumor is Apple will be producing actual TVs soon with more capabilities than the Apple TV units.
I dumped Netflix when they wanted the extra fee for streaming as the streaming feature was terrible as far as content. No new releases and most of the movies were pretty dated. The one thing I liked about the streaming is the fact that they had a lot of kids stuff that I could stream through my Blu-Ray for my daughter but for teh amount of times I actually used it the extra cost every month was not worth it. As others mentioned I would look in to Blockbuster.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #20
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

After digging into more of the units it would appear that a Roku unit with a subscription to Hulu Plus is what I need to cover current tv show issues. Then I need a way to stream new release movies. I guess Netflix isn't a good source for new release streamed movies. Got a better option?