Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 07-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #61
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Netflix Change...

Closed my Netflix account today. Streaming options leave a lot to be desired and I've had the same DVD for at least 3 months now. Just not using it...too busy with school.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #62
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Some interesting information on the back story

http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmo...lixs-problems/
I've heard about this, Mark, but I'm not sure I buy it 100% It sounds like the same line the cable companies throw out each year about the rising cost of cable.

Still, there's some truth to it. The distributors such as Paramount, Sony, and the other big names are greedy (see theater prices these days) and the ISPs are aggravated with Netflix as well.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #63
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
I've heard about this, Mark, but I'm not sure I buy it 100% It sounds like the same line the cable companies throw out each year about the rising cost of cable.

Still, there's some truth to it. The distributors such as Paramount, Sony, and the other big names are greedy (see theater prices these days) and the ISPs are aggravated with Netflix as well.
I agree with you and theater prices around here are insane. The closest theater to me charges $11 for a single showing. I can imagine it is the same thing with Netflix. As the distributors see how well Netflix is doing they start wanting a bigger and bigger piece of the pie.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #64
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post

I have a tough time believing that is the case too simply because of the lackluster selection offered on streaming. The movie companies should be excited that people are willing to watch a lot of the old and outdated movies. If Netflix made new releases available at the same time as the DVDs I would be happy to keep them but that just has not been the case.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #65
bcasey03

dropped em as soon as I got the email. Seems bad business to raise prices on existing members.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:52 AM   #66
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Think I will keep the streaming and discontinue the "to my door." Really sucks though, have been a customer for over 6 years or so.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:11 AM   #67
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

I dropped them when I deployed. I could not figure out for the life of my how to change my address to an APO. Turns out all you have to to is call. Oh well.....who wants to wait 10 days between movies anyways.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:42 AM   #68
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/19/n...ster-says-its/

Netflix is splitting streaming and DVD into 2 separate companies. I think it will al be OK in the end...but as a stock holder this makes me nervous.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #69
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/09/expl...id=netflixBlog
A hollow "apology" and what appears to be a lovely piece of misdirection that would work at an 8-year olds magic show.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #70
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
http://blog.netflix.com/2011/09/expl...id=netflixBlog
A hollow "apology" and what appears to be a lovely piece of misdirection that would work at an 8-year olds magic show.
Yeah, I got that e-mail. If they are so sorry, they should lower their prices
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #71
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/19/n...ster-says-its/

Netflix is splitting streaming and DVD into 2 separate companies. I think it will al be OK in the end...but as a stock holder this makes me nervous.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is crap, i'm done with em as soon as I finish the sopranos and boston legal heh.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #72
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Funny they suddenly send out an "I'm sorry" email this morning. I'm sure the fact their stock has dropped close to 50% has nothing to do with it.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #73
Mikess
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
Army
Mikess is on a distinguished road

Don't use them enough as it is, this gave me a reason to cancel the subscription this morning.

I do find it funny that they changed the name of the disc rental and used netflix for the streaming.
Mikess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #74
skullnrose
Ashes,ashes,all fall down

First Name: Scott
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
skullnrose is on a distinguished road

They probably changed the name of the DVD rental because of all the existing devices used for streaming already stating Netflix ready and such. I dropped the DVD section of my plan and am about to drop the Streaming as well. I have a Amazon prime account and find nearly all the streaming content I'm looking for in Amazons free streaming content. A price increase without the service really changing for the better is never a good thing for the consumer.l
Old 09-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #75
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullnrose View Post
They probably changed the name of the DVD rental because of all the existing devices used for streaming already stating Netflix ready and such. I dropped the DVD section of my plan and am about to drop the Streaming as well. I have a Amazon prime account and find nearly all the streaming content I'm looking for in Amazons free streaming content. A price increase without the service really changing for the better is never a good thing for the consumer.l
Tell me more about this Amazon prime thing. Pm if you want
Old 09-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #76
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I dropped the dvd shipping option, and I'm also ready to drop the streaming option. I use streaming a lot, so it's a tougher choice.
We're looking at changing from cable to directv, and if we make that move, we'll definately drop Netflix.
I got the email as well. I thought it was too little too late. It just put an exclamation point on how poorly they handled everything.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #77
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

For those who may not have received an email apology and want to know the scope of what is happening with Netflix:

Blog

Doesn't sound like the old prices will be restored (kind of ambiguous)... "we’re done with that!"

Smoke what you like!!!

Last edited by Skywalker; 09-19-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #78
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Wow that feeback on that blog is awesome! People just blasting them (as well as they should be)
Old 09-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #79
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I'm pretty bummed about the whole thing. I use both the DVD and streaming. If all the content I wanted was available for streaming that's all I'd use. I've chatted with a few of our Canadian inmates who said they never had the DVD option, AND, they can stream stuff we can't since the DVD's are not available to them.

I'm sure they've witheld some streaming content from US audiences for bandwidth/performance reasonses.

Also, I know that they are being sued by the big boys (RIAA I believe) for breaching their distribution agreements. Streaming and DVD in the same pool caused for a lot of legal gray area. I think this is the primary motivation behind the switch. It sucks for us end users of course.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #80
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
I'm pretty bummed about the whole thing. I use both the DVD and streaming. If all the content I wanted was available for streaming that's all I'd use....

Same here. Was going to just tuff it out, pay the extra and evaluate the value a little later. But, the email was BS -- the separation of billing sucks, and the separation of queue sites really blows big chunks. That's the last straw for me. The bundled price was attractive in the past, and the bundled interface was enough to keep it around a bit. No more.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote