Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 07-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #21
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
However it is understandable considering just for them to expand their digital library they will pay a ton just for licensing.
Exactly. Am I happy that prices are raising? Nope - it hurts my bottom line.

But at the same time I can understand from a business standpoint why it is necessary. The price to expand their digital streaming service is ballooning quickly as companies realize there's a lot of money to be made from it.

I personally dumped the disc service and stuck with streaming. I like their back catalogue of TV shows.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #22
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation
Default Re: Netflix Change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
My $11.99 Netflix plan (unlimited streaming, unlimited DVD/Blu Ray's one at a time) is changing. Starting in September it is going up to $17.98 -- $7.99 for DVD/Blu Ray one at a time, and $9.99 for streaming...

Guess I am going to drop the streaming for the time being... If they had a better/more current streaming selection I would keep it, but very limited titles makes it too expensive at this price...
Funny, I just the same email, and I'm thinking of dropping DVDs and keeping streaming since I've been finding so much streaming stuff recently. Sure, not a ton of new releases, but plenty of stuff from a year or two ago that I haven't seen yet. Lots of TV shows. Lots of stuff that isn't quite as mainstream like Documentaries. Relative to a year or two ago, the streaming selection has increased exponentially. I don't think I've watched an actual DVD for a month or so.

But yeah the sudden increase does suck.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #23
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
In addition to the price increase that will drive me away, they keep monkeying with what is, and what is not available for streaming. One week, a movie is streaming, the next, it's not. Plus, too much older shows that ARE NOT streaming, but should be. A price increase would put their service out of my "need to have" category!
I read an article on CNN yesterday about this.
The reason is Studio's, like Sony dictate that once a certain amount of people have downloaded a particular movie, then it must be removed.
Its in their contract with Netflix, and we are going to start seeing this more and more. Here is the article if you are interested:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/08/tech...ract/index.htm
Old 07-13-2011, 07:12 AM   #24
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

If the reason for the increase is the production companies holding their feet to the fire why dont tell their customers that? The email I received states that they are "lowering" cost by separating streaming (now 7.99) and dvd rental (now also 7.99) so 15.98 is now lower than 9.99. Thanks netflix
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #25
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I'm hoping this change will increase their streaming options. I switched to streaming only and am returning the DVDs I've had for 6 months.

MCS
Old 07-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #26
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

I dumped the DVDs a while ago...streaming only now and Red Box or On Demand for new releases.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #27
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I get one dvd at a time and streaming.
There's been tons of stuff online and in the newspaper about Netflix hogging ISP's resources, and everyone wanting to get a taste. My guess is that this move is to satiate some of that.
I use Netflix streaming constantly, and there's always a dvd here, so we definately get our money's worth. I can't imagine we'd stop using it. We have Time Warner and their lineup of On Demand stuff is lousy. If I had Comcast's On Demand I wouldn't even have Netflix.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:26 AM   #28
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I got this yesterday too and am kind of pissed about the increase and will probably drop the streaming as their streaming selection leaves little to be desired. I am also contemplating dropping them altogether since Redbox for the amount of movies we watch is cheaper and just as convenient since my closest box is less than 2 miles away. I personally think it's a bad move for them especially since they don't offer anything new on their streaming portion. We only use the Streaming for our daughter but with Nick and Disney being Free on Demand even that has been getting used less.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #29
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

My son works in their call center -- they were really busy yesterday

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #30
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post
Funny, I just the same email, and I'm thinking of dropping DVDs and keeping streaming since I've been finding so much streaming stuff recently. Sure, not a ton of new releases, but plenty of stuff from a year or two ago that I haven't seen yet. Lots of TV shows. Lots of stuff that isn't quite as mainstream like Documentaries. Relative to a year or two ago, the streaming selection has increased exponentially. I don't think I've watched an actual DVD for a month or so.

But yeah the sudden increase does suck.
I really like the streaming but the shows we really want to see are not there (yet?). I also like the first-run DVDs so we can see stuff at home and not have to wait ages...

I am sure that they are trying to expand their catalog, but I have been waiting a long time...

I can use my Roku box to download from other sources -- may have to give Amazon a try...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #31
Tyler

I agree that this is upsetting. Especially since they did a slight raise last year by a dollar I thought they would slowly up it that way instead of a giant leap for those of us with both DVD and streaming plans. Now, the price is lowered for unlimited DVDs with one out but the price before included streaming so it's not actually cheaper. I will probably have to end up canceling the DVD out and going to streaming only. Maybe that is what they want though. So they save money on mailing and have enough to pay the studios, etc.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #32
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I really like the streaming but the shows we really want to see are not there (yet?). I also like the first-run DVDs so we can see stuff at home and not have to wait ages...

I am sure that they are trying to expand their catalog, but I have been waiting a long time...

I can use my Roku box to download from other sources -- may have to give Amazon a try...
We use Redbox for all the stuff we really want to see. I can even reserve the movies. There's two of those machines within just a couple miles, so it makes it really cheap, easy and convenient. Even if we forget to return it the next day it still only costs 2 bucks. Way cheaper than the $5.00 and $8.00 titles available on the tv.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #33
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
In addition to the price increase that will drive me away, they keep monkeying with what is, and what is not available for streaming. One week, a movie is streaming, the next, it's not. Plus, too much older shows that ARE NOT streaming, but should be. A price increase would put their service out of my "need to have" category!
agreed, will be dropping before next billing cycle

anyone try RED BOX?

Last edited by SNKBYT; 07-13-2011 at 09:45 AM.
SNKBYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #34
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkbyt View Post
agreed, will be dropping before next billing cycle

anyone try RED BOX?

Red Box is good and cheap. DVDs are 1.00 and Blu-Ray is 1.50. For the 3 or 4 movies we watch a month after some thought this morning I think I am really leaning toward just dropping Netflix completely unless they improve their streaming game by end of the month.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #35
Sawyer
Primitive Screwhead

First Name: Robert
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
Sawyer has disabled reputation

I am thinking about dropping them too. I was just billed so I am going to hold onto it for another couple weeks since they won't refund partial months. Maybe I will change my mind by then, but I have been using it less recently so I probably will still drop.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #36
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I use red box all the time. The girlfriend is constantly getting coupon codes for rentals, so we either pay nothing, or 53 cents. At 1 or 2 movies a week (one for us, one for the kid), well, you can see the savings...
Old 07-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #37
mariogolbee

Will content be changing? If so, that may have an impact on price. I know that a friend of mine told me a year ago that Netflix was supposed to start having even new releases available for streaming right away. Also, there was supposed to be an agreement with Nintendo for streaming 3D movies to the new 3DS. I'm not sure if that means 3D will be available for streaming for everyone or not.

I'm actually happy with the new selection.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #38
Tyler

I believe this price change doesn't start until September 1st. So we have one billing cycle in-between.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #39
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

The in-laws use Amazon Prime, which has streaming. They like it and use it a lot, but also use netflix, so I don't think that they have a sense of one over the other. Anyone here use the Amazon service as your only streaming source?

I need to price the multi-DVD service for netflix, since several things that we are watching have multiple episodes per DVD, that would be equivalent to the streaming service plus one DVD. If the multi DVD is a better price, we'll likely drop the streaming soon.

If anyone comes across any trade rags or other good source discussing the motivations for the new pricing model, I'd appreciate you posting a link here. I'll do the same. A 60% price increase in one shot is unbelievable to me, unless they think that they have a captive market.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #40
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

I know RED-BOX is everywhere out here. They are the reason my Video store dropped the price of DVD from $2.50 to a $1 & BLU-RAY from $4 to $2.50 & I've been a member at this Video place since 1996 when it was all VHS & just a few DVD's. They also get all the new releases about two weeks before the release date which is SWEET IMO.

I did the Netflix thing for awhile but did not like the fact that everything I wanted was always out. This was a few years ago things may have changed. I'm old skool & sticking to the Video place 2-mins from the house.