Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #21
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Nothing has changed at the local Tinder Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
The few Tinker Boxes around here do carry Tatuaje and Kristoff but I rarely ever give them my business. One is way out of the way and I have never been there but the three by me are owned by the same person so I am assuming they are one in the same so I would rather not waste my time with that particular store knowing the other two. The second is in a convenient spot for me but most of the employees I met are stuck up A-holes and act as if I do not know what I am talking about and literally seem annoyed when I say I do not like most of what Rocky Patel has to offer since that is what they always try and push on me. Their humidor conditions are horrible as it seems rather dry in there and the humidifier is always leaking water on the floor and they usually leave a towel on the floor to soak up the spilled water.(Been like this for over a year now that I know of) I always cringe when I do decide to look around when I see boxes of 1926s and 64s with wrappers cracking from being so dry and when I bring it to their attention they act like I am the crazy one. The third is actually in a grocery store and the woman who works there is very nice but the other guy is a do*che. There walk in is maintained much better but I would rather pay a little more and give someone who actually appreciated my business my money rather than the snob who thinks they are the end all be all of cigar smokers and just seems annoyed that there is a customer taking up there precious time. It's a shame to because they carry a rather decent selection of smokes but the one thing I can not tolerate is the arrogance. Some of these people have no business being in the service industry. Hell, if they offered me a job at a decent wage I would have to say I would probably love my job.

That is a shame. I worked at the Southpark shop and a few weeks at the Harris Teeter shop on Rea Rd. back in 2001/2002 when it first opened. You are correct that the same owner owns all of the Charlotte area Tinder Boxes. I always thought that the owner was very knowledgable and good with all of the customers. As for individual employees, I guess there are always a few bad seeds in a bunch of apples. I hope it's not as bad now as you described, but I haven't been back since I moved in 2003.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #22
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Tinderbox in Fayetteville (Cross Creek Mall) switches up quite frequently. They have their regulars (Fuente, RyJ, HdM's), but other than that they keep new brands coming in on a regular basis.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #23
vudu9
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
vudu9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemonkey View Post
I went into the local Tinder Box today to see if they had anything new to try (not that I need them I guess but I haven't tried any of the Esencia cigars). They didn't have any, but I didn't expect them to either, but that is the problem.

On another thread here there is a discussion of internet cigar stores versus B&M. How does a B&M like Tinder Box expect to compete when they carry the same old stuff? Some of the same old stuff is great but I want to see Esencia, Tatuaje, Jameson, Kristoff and Canimao to name a few.

It reminds me of the TV networks insisting we watch TV like we did 20 years ago. Times have changed, keep up!

There are many B&M's out there that are comfortable to not fix what isn't broke. They'll take the conservative approach and let the market make or break the cigar first rather than helping it along.
vudu9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:37 AM   #24
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

The Tinderbox nearest to me is not impressive to say the least. It's walk-in humidor is about 10 feet long and maybe 5 feet wide. Put two customers in there at the same time and they have to squeeze around each other to move from one end to the other. The selection of cigars the last time I was in there was pedestrian at best - nothing exciting or "new" - just the same old bands.

In fact, the area in the store dedicated to selling things like ceramic dragons holding crystal balls and other such junk was bigger than the humidor.

I prefer my local B&M here in Slidell that has a bigger walk-in area and a decent selection that is constantly updated to meet their clients needs. They also have a good size cabinet humidor for the "super" premium brands they carry. The only complaint I have is that the place also sell wines, high end liquor and beer, and they opened a small deli for lunches. This means no smoking in the store.

On the other hand, everyone who works in the place is knowledgeable about cigars, wines and liquor.