Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 01-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

Trading: (9)
RA
76GTFan is on a distinguished road
Default Whiskey stones?

I know it has been discussed here before, but what are your thoughts on these? I really don't see any effect on the taste of whiskey. I know they aren't supposed to get the spirit real cold, but I can't notice the lack of edge. So what's the point?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation
Default Re: Whiskey stones?

The point is getting people to spend money for rocks?
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

So your spirits won't get diluted?
theonlybear4CORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

RA

I actually bought these over a year ago, so the sting from feeling ripped off has gone. Was in my basement fridge pulling a steak out, when I saw them in the freezer. I may try and sell them, but would feel guilty to make someone feel ripped like I was. Some folks like these things though. I just didn't.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlybear4CORT View Post
So your spirits won't get diluted?
Yeah they call that neat.

I can't tell the difference with or without. Wanna buy some 40 dollar soap stones.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

These guys just followed me on Twitter. Got me kind of interested but only because it wouldn't dilute my whiskey. Nice to see some opinions on them here though.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

I got mine as a gift. Problem is that they hold almost zero heat/cold/whatever. I dropped all 8 of them in a glass of whiskey and the drink stayed almost exactly the same temperature. It's all a gimmick, no real value to them at all. If you want your whiskey cool without diluting it, put it in the fridge for a half hour before pouring, it will do the job better.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I got mine as a gift. Problem is that they hold almost zero heat/cold/whatever. I dropped all 8 of them in a glass of whiskey and the drink stayed almost exactly the same temperature. It's all a gimmick, no real value to them at all. If you want your whiskey cool without diluting it, put it in the fridge for a half hour before pouring, it will do the job better.
I think you're supposed to put them in the freezer first.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Put the bottle of booze in the freezer. Then drink it neat. Cold, and no stones to clean up afterwards. As someone that only drinks his good booze neat, I find no difference in the taste cold, or room temperature.

I understand the dynamics of a cube or two of ice "opening" the tastes up, but I don't find I need it for most of what I drink. If I drank a lot of single malt scotch or had younger and better tastebuds, I might have a different opinion, as I understand there are a lot of complex flavors to good scotch that are released with varying amounts of water.

Other than the difference between cold booze, and room temp booze, I can't think of a reason to put rocks in my booze glasses!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

I agree with you, Cliff.
The only exception for me is cask strength whiskies. A small splash of water does wonders.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I think you're supposed to put them in the freezer first.
LOL... Yeah I suppose I should have clarified that I had done that prior. I actually had them in our deep freezer which runs at something like -10F. They were cold when I took them out, but once put in my drink they did almost nothing. After further analysis, they warm up to room temp in about a minute if you just put them on the counter.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
I agree with you, Cliff.
The only exception for me is cask strength whiskies. A small splash of water does wonders.
I know Jeremy has a set of "ice" rocks that he uses from time to time. And he particularly likes a little water in Irish Whiskey. I have to admit, Peter... I've never tried water in the barrel-strength bourbons I've had. It might be the thing that makes Bookers palatable for me (just a little on the strong/harsh side for me to enjoy sipping). Might be something I should try instead of giving away the bottle I have!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #13
Robulous78

I would say just have it straight up, if you are really concerned with the temperature you could always just freeze the glass you are going to use... unless of course your glass is something fancy that requires you to hold your pinkie in the air while sipping...
Old 01-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #14
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
I understand the dynamics of a cube or two of ice "opening" the tastes up, but I don't find I need it for most of what I drink. If I drank a lot of single malt scotch or had younger and better tastebuds, I might have a different opinion, as I understand there are a lot of complex flavors to good scotch that are released with varying amounts of water.
Ice doesn't open anything up, cooling prevent some of the volatile aromatics from vaporizing which in certain spirits is a good thing. In most whiskey you actually want those aromatics since they are the source of the nose and much of the taste. Room temp water is a different matter as diluting the alcohol level allows you to taste more nuance and less alcohol. Most whiskey is meant to be drunk at room temp, it's not vodka!
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:15 AM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I bought a set about a year ago, used them a few times, and now they just sit there in the freezer. They are absolutely worhtless....glad I bought them heavily discounted.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:02 AM   #16
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

I've gotten three sets at various times over the years as gifts. I use them on a rotating basis with the rocks in my head. I find when I use the soap stones in my dome, it helps me think clean thoughts.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:53 AM   #17
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Guess I'll pass on these and just keep buying cigars....
Old 01-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #18
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I agree with you, Cliff.

Couldn't agree more Cash Strength is no joke great flavors but needs a touch of water. I don't like the stones they never seem to keep the Scotch cold and I'm always worried one day the stones will chip or break the glass or my teeth for that matter trying to get that last drop in the bottom of the glass!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #19
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...whiskey+stones
The first thread you started on these would have been a great one to bump with your current thoughts rather than make yet another thread on them, it may help if people just had one "opinion" thread to disseminate if/when they decided to search such a thing.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/search...archid=6711016

Or have you been using the stones so much and with such frequency you are constantly looped and forgot?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #20
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
Ice doesn't open anything up, cooling prevent some of the volatile aromatics from vaporizing which in certain spirits is a good thing. In most whiskey you actually want those aromatics since they are the source of the nose and much of the taste. Room temp water is a different matter as diluting the alcohol level allows you to taste more nuance and less alcohol. Most whiskey is meant to be drunk at room temp, it's not vodka!

As I understand it, it's not the ice, it's the water that melts from the ice. Using ice allows more taste/aroma development as it melts and provides an increasing amount of water as you sip, and thus an ever changing water/spirit ratio. The cooling effect is secondary, and not the main function, as I have read. As to vodka, I stopped drinking that decades ago, so I can't pass any judgements on it's response to ice! I know cheap vodka went well with Sprite and ice when I was 18!