Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 11-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #61
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Booyah! Heees back... Go Vikings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
Acquisition was Wilf. I don't think that Chilly was ever on board with it. A superstar receiver with a questionable history is NOT something he'd ever go for. He seems to think his SYSTEM is what wins games, not having the more talented players. A couple years ago, he called it a "kick-ass" offense. It's been anything but that. They had opportunities to get a top shelf receiver in the preseason, but never went for one. Then acquiring Moss...they HAD to know what they were getting. Chilly likely never wanted him in the first place, and got rid of him as soon as he could.

And, his impact had not just been on paper. Look at the defensive alignments that we've seen since he was here Safeties were deeper and rolled to Moss's side. Seriously, I've noticed it more. They aren't crowding the box, intent on stopping Peterson only. You think any DB will be scared of Bernard Berrian or Greg Lewis or Hank Baskett? Harvin will now be covered by the #1DB every game, thus ending any mismatch he created before. At the very minimum, having him on the field as a decoy seemed to keep teams honest and from stacking the box against AP. Now, that won't happen. By jettisoning him, and keeping Chilly, this team has essentially thrown the season away. I think it may be in Faevrearvearervarvervarevravervavrer's best interest to leave now, before he gets killed in a lost and meaningless last season.
The aquisition makes more sense now. At least as to why it was done.
Percy Harvin has definately been tearing it to pieces up the middle with a wider field. I'm just not so sure that's Moss or the scheme.
You still have to provide deep coverage, regardless if it's Berrian or Moss.
I agree Moss's "aura" might garner more attention, though.
Harvin is willing to get lit up in the middle of the field, because he's nuts. I think his game is still going to be there as long as Farve still keeps going down the filed.
Granted, no one will be there to catch the ball, but Farve is gonna have to make nice to someone and get on the same page with them, or he'll never complete a pass over 7 yards for the rest of the season.
I would think he'd take an interest in Berrian. He definately has the hands to get the job done.
If you take "Brett doesn't come to camp" and add it up with "Brett can't practice cause he's about to die", how is he ever gonna get any reps with his receivers? Maybe the front office thought was that Randy has more years in a jersey than Berrian and should be able to jump right into Brett's mind? He has to get some reps with them or they'll never catch a ball.

I had real high hopes to see Minnesota do well this year. What a catastrophe it's turned into, and it just looks more and more bleak every week. I think they can still take the division with a max of two more losses, and they honestly have not played bad ball. I know if you're a Minnesota fan you gotta be ready to puke, but they really are a good club.
I guess my point is that they can definately compete, and they have a good chance of turning this around. If they lose to Arizona this weekend, I'd suggest buying a Packers Jersey, and thank God you're not a Dallas fan.

Tell me this...
Is it just me, or does the NFC look super weak this year? The Giants seem like the only team that has their sh!t together, and they have always seemed poised to implode on any given Sunday.
You know things are rough when all the buzz is about Tampa Bay...
Old 11-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #62
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post

Tampa Bay is gonna be a threat if they keep on improving. Who'dathunkit?

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:38 AM   #63
Wanger

Quote:
The aquisition makes more sense now. At least as to why it was done.
Percy Harvin has definately been tearing it to pieces up the middle with a wider field. I'm just not so sure that's Moss or the scheme.
You still have to provide deep coverage, regardless if it's Berrian or Moss.
I agree Moss's "aura" might garner more attention, though.
Harvin is willing to get lit up in the middle of the field, because he's nuts. I think his game is still going to be there as long as Farve still keeps going down the filed.
Granted, no one will be there to catch the ball, but Farve is gonna have to make nice to someone and get on the same page with them, or he'll never complete a pass over 7 yards for the rest of the season.
I would think he'd take an interest in Berrian. He definately has the hands to get the job done.
If you take "Brett doesn't come to camp" and add it up with "Brett can't practice cause he's about to die", how is he ever gonna get any reps with his receivers? Maybe the front office thought was that Randy has more years in a jersey than Berrian and should be able to jump right into Brett's mind? He has to get some reps with them or they'll never catch a ball.

I had real high hopes to see Minnesota do well this year. What a catastrophe it's turned into, and it just looks more and more bleak every week. I think they can still take the division with a max of two more losses, and they honestly have not played bad ball. I know if you're a Minnesota fan you gotta be ready to puke, but they really are a good club.
I guess my point is that they can definately compete, and they have a good chance of turning this around. If they lose to Arizona this weekend, I'd suggest buying a Packers Jersey, and thank God you're not a Dallas fan.

Tell me this...
Is it just me, or does the NFC look super weak this year? The Giants seem like the only team that has their sh!t together, and they have always seemed poised to implode on any given Sunday.

Harvin's improvement = Moss's presence. No doubt. If it were the scheme, he'd have had big games earlier in the year. The fact that they can have him motioning into the backfield, while still having a serious receiving threat out wide is a part of it. Defenses have to account for both of them. If you're a D-coordinator, who would you be more afraid of on the outside: Greg Lewis, Bernard Berrian, or Randy Moss?

As for Berrian, he may have the hands, but having good hands is of no use when you can't actually get open. LOL I've watched him this year, and about the only times he's been able to shake the defender has been in the last couple games. Even then, he hasn't come up "big". He was a deep threat a couple years ago, but it seems like he's lost a step or two, honestly. Not sure what's gone on there.

The QB is DEFINITELY NOT on the same page as his receivers. I'd have to agree that it's the lack of reps in the preseason and during the week. If he'd been here for 4+ years, maybe then it'd be better, but this is only his 2nd (and hopefully last...I never wanted him here to start with, and the only way it makes sense is if he brings home a ring). The timing just isn't there. We saw it last year...same scenario, but he was healthy and able to practice during the week and develop some of that timing as the season went on. I don't see it happening this year.

I know they're a good team, and have been right in most of the games, but they're playing catchup, mostly because of the performance of the offense, and specifically the QB. And simply being in the games doesn't mean anything in the NFL. Only wins count.

The coaching and decisions made (playcalling and challenges/not challenging) have not helped. Those are things that have been like this for as long as Childress has been here. His first year, I saw WAY too many 6-7 yard patterns called when it was 3rd and 10. He was coaching a scheme, not for success. He knew he didn't have the receivers that could break tackles and get those extra yards, but he still called those plays. How can you have 12 men in the huddle coming out of a timeout in the NFC title game? How can you have 10 men on the field for a critical 4th and goal play on offense? I've said it time and again, and I'll keep saying it until he's gone. They will go nowhere as long as he's the coach.

As for the NFC being weak, I completely agree. When the wildcard teams are Philly and Tampa, something's off. The Giants do look like the team to beat in the NFC, but as you said, they're always on the doorstep of imploding. GB is looking like they're starting to get in a groove, but they didn't look all that great against the Jtes, and Rodgers has seemed to be rather off the last couple weeks, in regards to his timing with his receivers.

A loss against AZ DEFINITELY ends their season, and if so, hopefully Chilly's coaching tenure with it. With all due respect, I'd NEVER lower myself to wearing a GB jersey (Cowboys, either). YUCK! LOL

As I saw somewhere (not sure exactly where, maybe a friend on FB), the smartest thing for the team to do for the future would be to dump Chilly and hire Frazier as the head coach. Look at the track record of former Viking coordinators as head coaches (Dungy, Billick, Tomlin...). Seems like they always do well and get a ring somewhere else.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:50 AM   #64
Wanger

...and by the way, with the info about the catering incident that's out there now...

I'd eaten at their place (Tinucci's) MANY times growing up. It was decent. Not great, maybe good at best, but not horrendously bad. There was nothing truly special about the food to me. I looked mroe forward to seeing the big sailfish on the wall and spending time with my family than actually eating the food there, honestly.

My opinion on Moss's reaction: VERY poor form. Just walk away and say nothing or that you're not hungry or that the food is not what you want at this point in time. Did that warrant getting put on waivers? Not in my mind. Maybe an internal fine or 1 quarter suspension for "violating team rules" or something like that. Not everyone is going to like every kind of food offered. Just try to be civil about it.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #65
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...and by the way, with the info about the catering incident that's out there now...

I'd eaten at their place (Tinucci's) MANY times growing up. It was decent. Not great, maybe good at best, but not horrendously bad. There was nothing truly special about the food to me. I looked mroe forward to seeing the big sailfish on the wall and spending time with my family than actually eating the food there, honestly.

My opinion on Moss's reaction: VERY poor form. Just walk away and say nothing or that you're not hungry or that the food is not what you want at this point in time. Did that warrant getting put on waivers? Not in my mind. Maybe an internal fine or 1 quarter suspension for "violating team rules" or something like that. Not everyone is going to like every kind of food offered. Just try to be civil about it.
I missed that story.
The story I heard that was the straw that broke the camel's back had something to do with Moss stopping his route causing Farve to take the hit in the chin. I don't know if there's any truth to that because there was no downfield film on the play. I never saw anything on sport center or on the web, either.
The media was going pretty easy on Moss as of yesterday, usually they're like sharks. Not sure why they'd lay off him. Maybe they're trying to get some ammo gathered up?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #66
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I missed that story.
The story I heard that was the straw that broke the camel's back had something to do with Moss stopping his route causing Farve to take the hit in the chin. I don't know if there's any truth to that because there was no downfield film on the play. I never saw anything on sport center or on the web, either.
I heard this on the radio this morning, and the suggestion by the sportscaster was that maybe Farve wanted him gone.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #67
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

Farve and Childress thought Moss would save their ass and forgot they still had to get him the ball for it to happen. This whole thing is starting to smell, they needed someone to blame their failure on and they chose Randy. My guess is the media is just not taking the bait.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #68
Wanger

I know I'm likely beating a dead horse here, but here's a take on ESPN that sums up a lot of what I've been saying, in regards to the value he added, not just his actual numbers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/pos...four-weeks-ago
Old 11-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #69
Resipsa

As a Colt fan, just wanted to throw out a
Big FU!! To Childress now that Moss ismwith the Titans

What a maroon Childress is
Old 11-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #70
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
As a Colt fan, just wanted to throw out a
Big FU!! To Childress now that Moss ismwith the Titans

What a maroon Childress is
Preaching to the choir, my friend. LOL
Old 11-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #71
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Ya know, being unemployed, I just may fire off a resume to Minneapolis. The head coach job description mustn't require any special skills...
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #72
Secret Santa
Ho Ho Ho

Trading: (0)
Secret Santa will become famous soon enoughSecret Santa will become famous soon enough

Santa says ONE CLAP
Old 11-05-2010, 06:45 AM   #73
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Ya know, being unemployed, I just may fire off a resume to Minneapolis. The head coach job description mustn't require any special skills...
Posted via Mobile Device
LMAO!!! Seems like it!! Definitely can't include doing research, time management, interpersonal relations, integrity, or attention to details.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:14 AM   #74
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Santa View Post
Santa says ONE CLAP
I watched that and laughed.
I didn't see the meter maid giving one clap though.
Or his dope dealer.
Wait, you can't use your hands to clap when you are bonging up, you might drop it and break it.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #75
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Looks like Percy Harvin and Brett Farve don't much care if Randy Moss is gone.
Granted, they played Arizona. I still think Moss hurt them a lot more than he helped. Berrian even caught a few.
I can't talk much sh1t cause I didn't get to see the game yesterday, I was traveling. I was forced to listen to the Cleveland game on the radio.
I still agree that Chilly is not only a douche, but after this week's actions, I think he's mental, too. And he might be a girl.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:43 AM   #76
Wanger

Quote:
Looks like Percy Harvin and Brett Farve don't much care if Randy Moss is gone.
Granted, they played Arizona. I still think Moss hurt them a lot more than he helped. Berrian even caught a few.
I can't talk much sh1t cause I didn't get to see the game yesterday, I was traveling. I was forced to listen to the Cleveland game on the radio.
I still agree that Chilly is not only a douche, but after this week's actions, I think he's mental, too. And he might be a girl.
LOL Scott...despite the win, I still think that Chilly needs to go.

Berrian FINALLY was able to get open...but as you said, it was the Cardinals. Berrian doubled his output for the entire season yesterday. Harvin played well, and was obviously hobbled on that bad ankle (came up limping a few times). They got AP more involved in the passing game, too. Rice should be back on the field soon, too, but I still think they'd be better if they had Moss out there (though he probably would have caused the fumble that Camarillo did to save a TD and get the ball back). There were signs of life, but it still took an amazing comeback, and putting the game in the hands of Faevarervarvervarevarervarevar to beat AZ in OT...at home. And the defense FINALLY had a sack (6, to be certain). But again, it was AZ. They finally played the way they've been expected to all year at the end of regulation and in OT (three 3-and-out series to end the game).

The real key is if they will bve able to parlay this into a roll. The next 2 games are against the Bears and GB. They will truly be back in the thick of things if they win both of them. Lose one (or both), and they are DONE. A further gap in the division won't be good, and the Saints are seeming to turn it up, making the other wild card more difficult to get. There's hope right now, but not a lot (at least partially because Chilly is still the coach).
Old 11-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #77
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
LOL Scott...despite the win, I still think that Chilly needs to go.

Berrian FINALLY was able to get open...but as you said, it was the Cardinals. Berrian doubled his output for the entire season yesterday. Harvin played well, and was obviously hobbled on that bad ankle (came up limping a few times). They got AP more involved in the passing game, too. Rice should be back on the field soon, too, but I still think they'd be better if they had Moss out there (though he probably would have caused the fumble that Camarillo did to save a TD and get the ball back). There were signs of life, but it still took an amazing comeback, and putting the game in the hands of Faevarervarvervarevarervarevar to beat AZ in OT...at home. And the defense FINALLY had a sack (6, to be certain). But again, it was AZ. They finally played the way they've been expected to all year at the end of regulation and in OT (three 3-and-out series to end the game).
The real key is if they will bve able to parlay this into a roll. The next 2 games are against the Bears and GB. They will truly be back in the thick of things if they win both of them. Lose one (or both), and they are DONE. A further gap in the division won't be good, and the Saints are seeming to turn it up, making the other wild card more difficult to get. There's hope right now, but not a lot (at least partially because Chilly is still the coach).
I SO wish I'd have seen that game.
They're talking Rice back this week. Hopefully very limited. That should stick a fork in the whole Moss saga. If they had a couple more wins under their belts, they become a super mega bonafide contender.
I'd hate to be in the "watching my team get one more loss and they're done" seat. They're just hitting their stride a couple games too late.
Regardless, there's probably gonna be a couple 8-8 wildcard teams. So there's that.
I'd expect more trouble out of the Bears than the Packers, really. I see the Vikes laying a world-class ass whooping on the Pack next week. 31-10 or so.
From everything I've read, it's gotten real chilly for Chilly. If the team knows he's not getting any love from the front office, they'll play for themselves and win despite him, if you get the kind of mindset change I'm thinking.
Harvin is gonna go monster the next couple games. Moreso in the Green Bay game.
Shilala the Greek has spoken.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #78
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Rice isn't definite for Sunday. Harvin's fighting the migraines again, and a sprained ankle. Asher Allen is questionable with a concussion, and Favre is feeling the effects of his EZ Pass O-line. All we need now is an injury to Jared Allen or one of the Williams "brothers" for the perfect end to this season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #79
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Vikes fire Childress...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/B...Vikings-112210
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #80
QUAZY50
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Alex
Trading: (0)
QUAZY50 is on a distinguished road

Quote: