Default Re: Booyah! Heees back... Go Vikings

Shouldn't have been a suprise
Old 11-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #82
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Bout time.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #83
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

He'll bounce back somewhere pretty quick (IMHO). He's a great football guy, just got in over his head with all the drama (Favre, Peterson, and Moss). He should have stood his ground, made good decisions, and explained himself when he did make a decision. I think he might have learned his lesson.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #84
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

Not the first coach Favre got fired, I predicted that before they signed him last year.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #85
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Hopefully Frazier knows how to throw a challenge flag. The Vikes needed an assistant coach whose sole job was to *****slap Chilly and yell, "Throw it, dumbass!"
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:43 AM   #86
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
He'll bounce back somewhere pretty quick (IMHO). He's a great football guy, just got in over his head with all the drama (Favre, Peterson, and Moss). He should have stood his ground, made good decisions, and explained himself when he did make a decision. I think he might have learned his lesson.
Actually, I think he was in over his head as a head coach in the NFL. Having watched him fairly closely over the last 4.5 years, he did NOT make good decisions, in regards to game management and player management. He made several big mistakes, in how he handled the team (i.e. the release of Marcus Robinson and the fining of Troy Williamson), his clock management, game management, playcalling, etc. I will say that he did know how to hire good D-coordinators (Tomlin and Frazier). He was proved to not be honest several times with the press about what was going on with his team (most recently with the release of Moss). Where is the drama with Peterson? Honestly, I haven't heard any locally, aside from him getting a couple speeding tickets, and having missed one "mandatory" team function for "Adrian Peterson Day"in his hometown. I wouldn't call the fumbling "drama", just an on field issue that seems to have been corrected.

As for his coaching skills, look at this season. Have they scored once on their first drive of the game? That relates to his coaching skill, because he has all of those plays scripted. Other teams have known what's coming, and have been able to stop it rather easily. The poor penalties that they've taken are more of a direct reflection of the coaching of the team. If they have a lot of bad/stupid penalties, like this team has had, it is direct relation to the coaching, and that goes right to the head coach. He has to be able to set the discipline, and get the players in position to make the plays and perform as they are able to, and he has NOT been able to do that.

My lack of trust in him as a head coach goes back to his first season here in MN. He was calling the offensive plays that season. I had season tickets that year (which we gave up BECAUSE of the product he put out on the field). I saw FAR too many 6yard patterns called when it was 3rd and 10. He was a system guy, and believed that his system was better than the players he had. He didn't put them in position to succeed. The players he had didn't have the ability to consistently break tackles and get the extra yards needed. The defense improved with the coordinators he hired, but the offense HE put in did not do anything. He called it a "kick-ass offense", and it wasn't that until last year when he brought Faavrevarevravrearververvarve in to run it. Even then, a lot of people attribute that to him running what he wanted to, and not the play that came in from the sidelines. Or maybe it was because Bevell was calling the plays.

I can honestly say that I don't feel bad about wanting him gone and being critical of the job he did. I was at the game Sunday, and was part of the chant that echoed in the stadium. From my perspective, his job performance was poor. And at the same time, he honestly doesn't ever have to work again, with the money he's made, and will get from the buyout. With that being said, I've heard he's a decent guy, but wasn't what this team needed to truly succeed. Good luck to him in his future.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:46 AM   #87
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Hopefully Frazier knows how to throw a challenge flag. The Vikes needed an assistant coach whose sole job was to *****slap Chilly and yell, "Throw it, dumbass!"
Posted via Mobile Device
I really think that Frazier will continue to be the coach of this team beyond this season. He's been widely thought of as a future head coach, and I'm glad he's got the opportunity to do it here. If they don't keep him beyond this year, I really hope they bring in a proven winner (ala Cowher, Gruden, Billick, etc.).
Old 11-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #88
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad to see Chilly gone. Poor bastard will have to sit on the beach and collect a check for what, three more years?
Once this season is over, it looks like the Vikes should be totally out of money.
Fortunately they have a good amount of talent, and they should be competitive until they can compete financially again.
It's tough to watch a good team just go to hell and know there's lots more to come. I'd be completely shocked if they don't have a firesale at the end of the season and start from the dirt up.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #89
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
I really think that Frazier will continue to be the coach of this team beyond this season. He's been widely thought of as a future head coach, and I'm glad he's got the opportunity to do it here. If they don't keep him beyond this year, I really hope they bring in a proven winner (ala Cowher, Gruden, Billick, etc.).
You're forgetting about the Rooney rule... the Vikings will have to interview some white guys.
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:44 AM   #90
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaStyle View Post
You're forgetting about the Rooney rule... the Vikings will have to interview some white guys.
LMAO!!!

I heard yesterday the names of a few of the others who they looked at before hiring Chilly. One of them, in particular stood out to me...Jim Caldwell. I think that would have been a great fit. A Dungy protege, who has done well in succeeding him. That being said, could he have done it with MN? Who knows.

The Wilfs want to win...badly. Why else would they bring in the players they have, and go "all in" as they have this year? Because of this, I don't really forsee a "firesale" at the end of the year. They will still have some VERY good pieces of the puzzle in place. In addition, I think it was Chilly who was planning on blowing up the roster after this year (since he had full personnel control). I think the players have enough respect for Frazier (and he has enough equity with them, especially having been a good player in the league and winning that ring with one of the greatest teams EVER), that they might want to stick around (a guy like Ray Edwards, for instance). But they DO have a bunch of free agents, and the big question is who will they resign? Greenway is a must. AP is a no-brainer (slap the franchise tag on him). Rice is a guy you'd like to keep, but honestly is a bit of a question mark since he had only one big season and has been hurt this year. Edwards is a solid DE to have opposite of Allen. Pat Williams will retire, but they have a couple young guys they've been grooming to replace him. I think Kevin Williams is signed for a couple more years, as is Allen. What they NEED is a true "shut-down" corner. It's not Winfield, who is talented, but his best spot is playing on the slot receiver (and with his age, he may be best served by moving to safety in the next couple years). I like the linebacking core of Henderson and Greenway. Lieber has pretty much disappeared this year. Can Griffin come back from tearing his other ACL and be productive? Will Asher Allen or Chris Cook develop into a solid NFL cornerback? What will happen with right guard? And of course, there is the huge question mark at QB. As for QB, my personal feeling is that Jackson has all the tools to be a good QB in the league. Has sitting for 2 years and developing behind Faveravervarevraveravrverevaeear helped him? I'd like to see. It DID work for Aaron Rodgers.

yes, I'm a big football, especially Vikings guy, and now that Chilly is gone, it is much easier to say that I'll go down with the ship. LOL But if I have to choose another team in the division to win it all...go Bears.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:00 AM   #91
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Yeah, I agree. My comment was more about Childress' apparent unwillingness to throw the red flag. What sucks is that MN is stuck paying out the rest of Childress' contract.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2010, 06:06 AM   #92
Wanger

Quote:
Yeah, I agree. My comment was more about Childress' apparent unwillingness to throw the red flag. What sucks is that MN is stuck paying out the rest of Childress' contract.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh...I know that...I was thinking "Why the F@CK is he not throwing the flag?!?!?!?" in the GB game when there was that bobbled TD pass by the GB tight end. He has NEVER known when to throw them at the right time.

I just wanted to voice my opinion of Frazier taking over the team.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:30 AM   #93
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
I just wanted to voice my opinion of Frazier taking over the team.
I hope they do give him a shot going forward. A while back, we had another hot DC under Denny Green, who went on to great success elsewhere. His name was Tony Dungy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2010, 06:40 AM   #94
Wanger

Quote:
I hope they do give him a shot going forward. A while back, we had another hot DC under Denny Green, who went on to great success elsewhere. His name was Tony Dungy.
Posted via Mobile Device

And don't forget Frazier's predecessor under Chilly...Mike Tomlin. He's ALREADY got a ring.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:15 AM   #95
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
And don't forget Frazier's predecessor under Chilly...Mike Tomlin. He's ALREADY got a ring.
Yep, Dungy was just on my mind because of all the speculation that he would take the job. Plus, we *know* he has experience dealing with a prima donna QB.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #96
Wanger

Quote:
Yep, Dungy was just on my mind because of all the speculation that he would take the job. Plus, we *know* he has experience dealing with a prima donna QB.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ha ha ha. Yeah. Unfortunately, he's already said he's not interested in the job. If he came back to coaching, I really think it would be either there or to the U of M (Minnesota, as he's an alum). By turning down both, I really think he is truly done with his coaching career.