Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
Aron
Owner of the Crab Hat!

First Name: Aron
Location: Home: Lexington, MA // Vacation: West Tisbury (on Martha's Vineyard), MA
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Aron is on a distinguished road
Default Question about Anejos

One of my local B&Ms just started carrying Fuente Anejos at pretty nice prices. So I was wondering if anybody had a recommendation for which one(s?) I should go for. While I would imagine they're all delicious, there must be one that tastes better than any of the others!

In addition, they also carry Fuente Don Carlos, so I figured I would have to pick up one of those suckers just to try it. Yes? No? Maybe? Get the hell off this board?

Send me tips, people!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Question about Anejos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron View Post
One of my local B&Ms just started carrying Fuente Anejos at pretty nice prices. So I was wondering if anybody had a recommendation for which one(s?) I should go for. While I would imagine they're all delicious, there must be one that tastes better than any of the others!

In addition, they also carry Fuente Don Carlos, so I figured I would have to pick up one of those suckers just to try it. Yes? No? Maybe? Get the hell off this board?

Send me tips, people!
I disagree with your statement. Personally, I don't think the flavors are that different. But, assuming they are, taste is purely subjective.
My suggestion is to just pick one and go for it. Don't overanalyze it.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I disagree with your statement. Personally, I don't think the flavors are that different. But, assuming they are, taste is purely subjective.
My suggestion is to just pick one and go for it. Don't overanalyze it.

I'd start with the #50, just because I like Robustos. And go ahead and try the Don Carlos too!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

I personally like the 55 but really any vitola is good.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Providing they have all the sizes I would go 77(Shark), 55(torp) and than the 50(Think this is the right # for the Robusto) in that order although I would smoke one and than rest a few of each as age really does improve these just like the Opus.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
Gonesledn
making trails

First Name: Wes
Trading: (31)
Gonesledn will become famous soon enough

my favorite is the 46. much more sweeet flavor of the wrapper comes through. the shark is very good as well.
Gonesledn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I know everyone really likes the #77. They're good. Especially good with some time on them. Personally, I like the #46 best. There's a lot more wrapper to enjoy, and it's what I like. After that, the #49 and #50 are next.
I smoke a ton of Anejos because I love them. I only have 3 or 4 boxes right now, they're getting thin. I keep so many because I like to get a little time on them. When they get a little older, the sharpness comes off them and the flavors just meld together into a super full richness. When they're young, they show a lot of flavors, but they're more "in your face" and a lot more singular.
I'm with Peter in that you're not going to find a huge amount of difference, especially if you're not over-analytical. Go with your favorite size and work from there.
And, enjoy yourself!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I like the #46 the best because you get more of the wrapper flavor. The Sharks are my least favorite.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:

Send me tips, people!
Get the hell off this board....

Don't let price fool you...price should not always warrant cigar preference.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
tomc3084
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (26)
tomc3084 is on a distinguished road

tomc3084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
Aron
Owner of the Crab Hat!

Location: Home: Lexington, MA // Vacation: West Tisbury (on Martha's Vineyard), MA
Partagas

So, while it looks like the general consensus is the 77 (big surprise there...), sadly, ABC does not carry El Shark-o! So I guess I'll be trying the 46 first. And I'll probably buy about two of each size they carry, just to age 'em.

For the record, the Anejos are about ten bucks a pop, and the Don Carlos is sixteen bucks.

And while I completely agree with Bao, in not letting price be my only factor, when I see a cigar that everybody seems to love, and it's in a reasonable price range (45 dollars for a Gurkha Beauty tubo? Erm..... sorry... Nice box, though!), I think that pretty much speaks for itself.

I'm at the stage of my Cigar Love Affair when I'm still almost exclusively buying singles. I think I've only bought between two or three boxes. So price sadly becomes a very big limiting factor.

Thanks for your advice, guys, and keep it coming!

Last edited by Aron; 04-16-2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Removed line that was too stupid to post.
Aron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #12
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Singles are a great way to go anyway, Aron, no sense in buying a lot of boxes until you really define what your tastes are. My tastes changed so much over my first couple years, but I was able to try literally hundreds of different cigars in that time frame, and really got an idea of what pleased my palate most.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #13
DougBushBC

Quote:
For the record, the Anejos are about ten bucks a pop, and the Don Carlos is sixteen bucks.
Wait Anejos are 10 and DCs are 16? Thats the opposite of most places I have shopped. Maybe you mean "GOD OF FIRE" by Don Carlos, which is a Fuente made Prometheus Owned cigar.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougBushBC View Post
Wait Anejos are 10 and DCs are 16? Thats the opposite of most places I have shopped. Maybe you mean "GOD OF FIRE" by Don Carlos, which is a Fuente made Prometheus Owned cigar.
Anejos have always been cheaper than the regular line Don Carlos around here. I'm with Dan. I like the 46 but can't stand the 77 Shark.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #15
Aron
Owner of the Crab Hat!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougBushBC View Post

Doug, I'm fairly sure they're just plain ol' Don Carlos sticks, not God of Fire. However, I could be wrong. I'll try and swing by the store later this afternoon if I've got a second.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #16
El Fumador
(Opus X Pig)

First Name: Juan
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
El Fumador is on a distinguished road

just get a pair of each, i don't like the 48's 49's, love the 46's, 50, 55's, and I like the sharks. As for the Don Carlos god of fire i like the carlito's series, besides the don carlos series.
El Fumador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #17
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Yes and yes
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #18
Noomis

Go with your favorite size. The wrapper-filler ratio everyone else mentioned is important, though––Añejo wrappers have a very distinct flavor, so if you want to taste more of it get a thinner gauge....
Old 04-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #19
darkninja67

46, 50 or 77 and the occasional 55 are my favorites.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #20
Stinky
Join CigarRights.org NOW!

First Name: Stinky
Trading: (1)
Punch
Stinky will become famous soon enoughStinky will become famous soon enough

Pick up a few 46's and send me one! Enjoy the rest.

Promoting the Enjoyment of Fine Cigars!
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote