Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation
Default Wife got a ticket

So my wife is back home going to the Social Security office because we're still waiting on my son's SSN. En route she gets pulled over for the tint on my windshield and front windows. The cop said it's illegal in the state of California to tint the front windshield and the front windows.

I honestly never knew that since I'm originally from NY and I've been driving around California for 5 years like that now. The only reason I got it was for my eyes and I don't want people to see what I have inside the vehicle. I could care less if it looks cool or not. I'm not in the business of looking cool.

At least it was a fix-it ticket but now I have to pay to have it removed as well. WTF!?!?!?!? I'm searching for anything but is there any law that covers tint on vehicles for medical reasons in California?
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Wife got a ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilchez View Post
So my wife is back home going to the Social Security office because we're still waiting on my son's SSN. En route she gets pulled over for the tint on my windshield and front windows. The cop said it's illegal in the state of California to tint the front windshield and the front windows.

I honestly never knew that since I'm originally from NY and I've been driving around California for 5 years like that now. The only reason I got it was for my eyes and I don't want people to see what I have inside the vehicle. I could care less if it looks cool or not. I'm not in the business of looking cool.

At least it was a fix-it ticket but now I have to pay to have it removed as well. WTF!?!?!?!? I'm searching for anything but is there any law that covers tint on vehicles for medical reasons in California?
Not sure about California, but in Illinois you can get a waiver to the tint law if you bring in documentation from a doctor to the Secretary of State (DMV).

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

I'm searching high and low online but I don't see anything on there.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Vehicle Code
26708.5. (a) No person shall place, install, affix, or apply any transparent material upon the windshield, or side or rear windows, of any motor vehicle if the material alters the color or reduces the light transmittance of the windshield or side or rear windows, except as provided in subdivision (b), (c), or (d) of Section 26708.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsection b, 10
(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.
This appears to only permit "removable" screens.

I went through the entire statute on line, and couldn't find anything for California that permitted tinting of most of the windshield or front windows, even with anything from a Doc.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
gonzo
UCLA Bruins = Champions

Trading: (0)
gonzo has disabled reputation

Having been to the California DMV more times than I'd like to, I hate to offer this advice, however it may prove useful:

Make an appointment at a local DMV (try to find a large one that's open on Saturdays, they seem to be more efficient than the others), and ask them the question at the DMV.

The only downside (other than actually having to GO to the CA DMV) is that you will have to make sure you get an informed person once you get there...some are friendly and well informed, most are just getting a paycheck.

Stomp'N'Rock,

Joseph
gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

i think california raised the fees for fix it tickets also.
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
bigliver
Cigarmurai

First Name: Jason
Trading: (9)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
bigliver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
i think california raised the fees for fix it tickets also.
I've also heard they're charging for this now. Good luck bro.
bigliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:00 AM   #8
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Sorry not aware of any loopholes!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

So I did some reserarch and it looks like I'm S.O.L. on this one. Now I'm gonna have to call my buddy and tell him to have my tints removed on the truck.

And it looks so sweet too......07 Tahoe Midnight Black.....
Old 01-12-2009, 07:05 AM   #10
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

My buddy's wife has the front windows tinted on her car and she has been pulled over several times. Each time she has gotten out of the ticket by presenting the officer with a note from her dermatologist stating that due to history of skin cancer in her family, he recommended the tint to reduce her exposure to the sun and mitigate her risk factors (she's very fair skinned). I'm not sure if there's any in the vehicle code that provides for exceptions, but this has worked for her.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 AM   #11
darb85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
My buddy's wife has the front windows tinted on her car and she has been pulled over several times. Each time she has gotten out of the ticket by presenting the officer with a note from her dermatologist stating that due to history of skin cancer in her family, he recommended the tint to reduce her exposure to the sun and mitigate her risk factors (she's very fair skinned). I'm not sure if there's any in the vehicle code that provides for exceptions, but this has worked for her.

California only allows removable things for medical reasons, much strickter. around here, i just swap plates with my buddies corvair and bring it in, and we are done! wait, shhhh didnt say that