Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2010, 06:31 AM   #1
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road
Default Getting ready for Key West

So earlier this year we headed down to Key Largo to check out a place to get married. Well it's almost time!! One more month!!!!
Key Largo was amazing and I can't wait to get down there to get some more smokes from the Island Smoke Shop!!
So after we get married we are heading to Key West. We are making a list of the "Must visit" places: Restaurants, museums, shops, etc.
Seeing I am a ParrotHead, we will be stopping at Louie's Backyard, and Captain Tony's, and the first Margaritaville to survive. Hemmingway's house is also on the list.
What else are we looking for? We are staying at the Southern Most Hotel too so easy access.
Also is there a place on another island that we should travel to?
Thanks guys!!! You we so helpful when we went to Key Largo, thought I'd ask this time too!!
Todd
Old 07-13-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: Getting ready for Key West

never been to Key West, so can't help you out, but please say Hi to Bill from me. And don't forget to grab a Cuban Sandwich from Marlin's while you're at Key Largo.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:41 AM   #3
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Went to Key West for my honeymoon back in 97 but I don't remember anything in particular..must have been a good time! I remember it being beautiful.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #4
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I have spent many a day and night in Key West. You have the normal stuff on your list. What I like to do is. Start on one side of Deval St, hit the sunset and come back on the other side. Hit every store, bar, club ect. Just stay hydrated and enjoy yourself.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #5
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

You want to have breakfast at Blue Heaven...fantastic breads and muffins and such, and great breakfast...it's a favorite with the locals...for seafood the Half Shell Raw Bar is another locals hangout...great food...see the sunset at Mallory Square, or even go out for the sunset cruise on the Great Eastern Clipper Ship...they'll even let you help hoist the sails...or is it called the Western Union...oh, well...guess I forgot...you can check it out when you're there...it was used to lay the transatlantic cable...

Ah, found it...Schooner Western Union. As the last tall ship built in Key West, she marks the end of the era of working coastal schooners. A voyage on the Schooner Western Union Maritime Museum is a unique opportunity to sail into history.

Built in Key West in 1939, she is one of the oldest working wooden schooners in the United States. Constructed to tend the Western Union cable lines, today she offers a mix of romance, fun, and excitement that could only be offered by THE premier sailing vessel of the Florida Keys.

Neat sunset cruise on it...

Last edited by Neuromancer; 07-13-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Neuromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Definitely the Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square. Get there in time to see some of the street performers, they are always entertaining. Duvall Street is fun with the walk-up bars. I also really enjoyed Margarittaville being a Buffet fan. There are plenty of tours and sunset cruises that you can take. On Duvall street there is a stand that hand rolls cigars right in front of you. They have some very entertaining cigars as well. Have a blast, it's one of my favorite places in the Keys.
Gophernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

The best cigar shop I found was behind Sloppy Joes. Is a small shop, good sticks.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Hit Fat Tuesdays for some frozen drinks!
Old 07-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

Thanks guy, great ideas!! My fiance loves breakfast so I'm sure we'll hit Blue HEaven. I was hoping to get out for a sunset cruise as well. I love being on the water!!
One question with the roled cigars: is it good to smike them right then and there or do they need to be aged? I will deffinitely be taking some home with me but it's one of those things that I'll be a little kid and can't wait!!!
Been to Fat Tues in Philie and it was a lot of fun there too.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
Eagle53

Be sure to tour Hemingway's house. Go to the Southern Most Point if you want. There are a ton of sunset cruises and dive trips. I haven't done a dry tortugas tour but I hear its a neat fort.

Get slammed on Duval Street but watch out for trannies in some of the bars.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

BTW, rent yourself a motor scooter to get around on...it's a lot easier than trying to find parking everywhere for a car...
Old 07-14-2010, 06:49 AM   #12
STEVE S
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (1)
STEVE S is on a distinguished road

Key West is alot of fun, great little shops and bars in the downtown area. The Heminway
house tour is a must see, the Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square is a one of a kind
show. For Cigar Shops Google "Cigar Shops in Key West Fl." Then go to Cigar walking
in Key West. This time of year the parking isn't as bad, but the motor scooters are alot of fun.
STEVE S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #13
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

So got some tips today about a Jimmy Buffet tour. I guess they go around to all the bars he used to sing and frequent and you have a drink there.
Also heard the Scooter's was a great place for a drink and cigar. They roll them right there for you. Anyone know anything about this?
less than 3 weeks to go!!! Can't wait!!!!