Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 10-30-2008, 05:17 AM   #1
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Madeira - No. 1 Drink for Cigars

I feel it's my obligation or duty to intoduce any serious cigar smoker to Madeira wine. Madeira is the absolute best pairing with cigars. The acid and length of finish just make any cigar a joy. Every puff after a sip of Madeira like the first puff. Sipping Madeira can go all day and the flavor carries as good as any single malt. Most would be hard pressed to sip Scotch for hours upon hours, but is easy with Madeira.

Not only that, but Madeira is America's wine. The wine that was toasted at the signing of the Declaration of Independence. The wine Jefferson and Franklin couldn't get enough of... The wine that represents our independence as a nation.

It was only fairly recently (within 50 years) in the USA that Madeira and Sherry fell off as the most popular kinds of wine.

Madeira is one of the few alcoholic drinks where the drinker can actually afford something 100+ years old. How many have something in a bottle/barrell over 100 years old?
Old 10-30-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
jquirit
Angry Asian Dwarf

Trading: (3)
jquirit has disabled reputation
Default Re: Madeira - No. 1 Drink for Cigars

So, care to elaborate on what to look out for? Good online resources to get bottles of Madeira from? I am curious, as it's always interesting to have/try new things, especially in the valley of Pinots.
jquirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Well, what to look out for is tricky. Basically, Madeira goes from very dry to quite sweet. You should start out with the sweeter styles like Malmsey or Bual. Try a 10 year or better initally. Many Madeiras are vintage dated, going back to the 18th Century. Not all of them were bottled near the vintage like Vintage port. On the cheap end, Madeira will just say sweet, or semi-sweet with no age indication. Madeira can be stored upright, unlike wine.

Some fine suggestions to start off with are (all are under $50):

Broadbent 10 Year
Leacocks 15 Bual
Rare Wine Company (RWC) New Malmsey or Boston Bual
Blandy's 10 Year Malmsey
Old 10-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I feel it's my obligation or duty to intoduce any serious cigar smoker to Madeira wine. Madeira is the absolute best pairing with cigars. The acid and length of finish just make any cigar a joy. Every puff after a sip of Madeira like the first puff. Sipping Madeira can go all day and the flavor carries as good as any single malt. Most would be hard pressed to sip Scotch for hours upon hours, but is easy with Madeira.

Not only that, but Madeira is America's wine. The wine that was toasted at the signing of the Declaration of Independence. The wine Jefferson and Franklin couldn't get enough of... The wine that represents our independence as a nation.

It was only fairly recently (within 50 years) in the USA that Madeira and Sherry fell off as the most popular kinds of wine.

Madeira is one of the few alcoholic drinks where the drinker can actually afford something 100+ years old. How many have something in a bottle/barrell over 100 years old?
I got something over 100 years old in a box. My great-grandfather, he passed away at 106.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
jquirit
Angry Asian Dwarf

Thanks for the info, mosesbotbol. I've been reading up on some websites and they seem to be some similar advice along those lines as they recommend the 10 year as it's a nice price-point between price and taste.

I'll have to check the local shops to see what they have. The area I'm in (Oregon) is a hotbed for pinots and merlots so I'm curious to see what kind of selection they have for ports and madeiras.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
Ace$nyper

I'm glad to see other people are into this! George Washington was a big Madeira fan as well.

Sadly with out order or spending a ton the only kind to get here is Justino's Maderias it's an entry level, it's not bad at all, rather good for what it is, not a stellar wine though.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquirit View Post
Thanks for the info, mosesbotbol. I've been reading up on some websites and they seem to be some similar advice along those lines as they recommend the 10 year as it's a nice price-point between price and taste.

I'll have to check the local shops to see what they have. The area I'm in (Oregon) is a hotbed for pinots and merlots so I'm curious to see what kind of selection they have for ports and madeiras.
Try the Broadbent 10 year, just a wow Madeira for the money and one of the easier to get into. Slightly chilled as well, perhaps 60 degrees.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
How many have something in a bottle/barrell over 100 years old?
I do (almost) and its Madeira, 1910. Berns Steakhouse got me on my Madeira kick. They have a wide selection. It's the perfect wine for 'by the glass'; because its already oxidized they can serve glasses from an open bottle for years without ill affects. Oldest I've had is a 1897 Sercial(my fave). And because they're heated in the aging/conditioning process you don't have to keep them cool in a cellar (but I do anyway).
BTW, there are no 'very dry' Madeiras that I know of (may be wrong). The driest I believe is the Sercial, and by regular standards it is not 'very dry'. I would say they range from fairly sweet to verrrry sweet.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:59 AM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney View Post
BTW, there are no 'very dry' Madeiras that I know of (may be wrong). The driest I believe is the Sercial, and by regular standards it is not 'very dry'. I would say they range from fairly sweet to verrrry sweet.
Have you tried Terrentez, Bastardo, or Verdelho? Here's a picture of the oldest Madeira I have had last holiday season. Might be too hard to top it this year.

I know of a Madeira event planned that will be the biggest ever held with deepest selection of Madeira going back to late 17th century. Will be about 2K a head though

Old 10-31-2008, 07:09 AM   #10
ElkTwin

You might look at a couple of great articles on Madeira published a couple of years ago by cigar lover Doug Kuebler:

Part 1

Part 2
Old 10-31-2008, 07:24 AM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkTwin View Post
You might look at a couple of great articles on Madeira published a couple of years ago by cigar lover Doug Kuebler:

Part 1

Part 2
Great read! Finally, I am not the only preaching Madeira to the cigar community!

I'd try to get people on Sherry bandwagon too, but that is a difficult sell, as the oxidized taste is aquired.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:21 AM   #12
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Have you tried Terrentez, Bastardo, or Verdelho?
All but the Bastardo. But none were 'very dry' to me, but I guess its all relative. But the adding of brandy/spirits to halt fermentation, and the fact that they all have some residual sugar don't add up to very dry to me. I think this is just semantics. That 1795 sounds great, if they're still around in a few years I may............
Old 10-31-2008, 08:23 AM   #13
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

Quote:
I know of a Madeira event planned that will be the biggest ever held with deepest selection of Madeira going back to late 17th century. Will be about 2K a head though
Details?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:25 AM   #14
aldukes
Mr. Me Too

aldukes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Great read! Finally, I am not the only preaching Madeira to the cigar community!

I'd try to get people on Sherry bandwagon too, but that is a difficult sell, as the oxidized taste is aquired.
please dont tell people about sherry. Its still one of the best deals around in the world of wine. nothing beats some nice PX on a late saturday afternoon.
aldukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:51 AM   #15
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Details?
Not yet. My friend is planning and just told me about it yesterday. The plan was to charge per head rather than trying to line people up with their bottles. All the bottles are already sourced. Will update as I get further details. I think it will happen in NYC.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:53 AM   #16
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
That 1795 sounds great, if they're still around in a few years I may............
I bet there's some around (or even older), but be prepared to pay like 7K for the bottle. There's an amazing selection of Madeira coming to auction next weekend.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:54 AM   #17
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldukes View Post
please dont tell people about sherry. Its still one of the best deals around in the world of wine. nothing beats some nice PX on a late saturday afternoon.
Lips are sealed...

Oloroso is my favorite. PX is great in small amounts.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #18
jquirit
Angry Asian Dwarf

So, I'm having particularly bad luck finding Madeiras in my area. They drink a lot of wine, but the more 'niche' ones aren't carried much out here. One thought they carried Madeiras but turned out to be a port. So, do any of you know a good online resource for ordering Madeiras that won't charge me an arm and a leg?
Old 11-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #19
romwarrior
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brett
Trading: (19)
Cohiba
romwarrior is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquirit View Post
So, I'm having particularly bad luck finding Madeiras in my area. They drink a lot of wine, but the more 'niche' ones aren't carried much out here. One thought they carried Madeiras but turned out to be a port. So, do any of you know a good online resource for ordering Madeiras that won't charge me an arm and a leg?
No experience with Madeiras personally, so maybe someone else can chime in here with better advice, but Bevmo has a few madeiras.
romwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #20
romwarrior
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brett
Trading: (19)
Cohiba
romwarrior is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Alright I am intrigued. My local Bevmo has the Broadbent 10 yr and Blandy's 10 yr. I think I will have to check it out. Thanks for the info!
romwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote