Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 10-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #41
Guitarman-S.T-
"ESP+ENGL&amp ;qu ot;-Brutal

First Name: S.T
Trading: (11)
SCdlH
Guitarman-S.T- will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Finally thinkin about getting a Quality pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
Vaper is pipe slang for a virginia/perique blend such as escudo.
Muaha! thanks V.S
HAD not a clue. Do you guys know of anyone that has a fairly decent collection that wouldnt mind selling a bit of a sampler pack of Tobacco, ?

Mainly for the reason to try the different blends ( or Straight styles of tobacco) before i devote my new Jirsa to ONE or another, so i know what i should look forward to in future purchases.

Thanks again!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #42
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

my divisions are broader since I have 6-7 pipes that I smoke 95% of the time, and 3-4 more that occasionally get used

so I have 3 for va/vaper and 3 for latakia containing

then I have a small boswell for aros only, a churcwarden that gets something different every time (I don't smoke it often though) and a couple that were given to me that I almost never smoke
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:52 PM   #43
Savvy
Bull Goose Loony

First Name: Jordan
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Savvy will become famous soon enough

I suggest hopping over here http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9168 to get some samples of tobacco to try a bunch of different stuff and get an idea for what you like.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:25 AM   #44
Guitarman-S.T-

SCdlH

Hey savvy! Been far to long sense i heard from you!

Thanks alot guys!

Any BIG flavor profile differences from each blend ( I;m trying to think cigars by seeing which one i may enjoy the most)
Old 10-21-2009, 08:33 AM   #45
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman-S.T- View Post
Any BIG flavor profile differences from each blend ( I;m trying to think cigars by seeing which one i may enjoy the most)
yes, huge flavor differences between an English and a Virginia. once you're use to pipe tobacco and some of its subtleties, you'll be able to pick out differences in the same blend from one tin to another.
if you're still a cigar smoker, i'd try some Oriental blends (without Latakia), and some of the stronger in flavor Va/Per blends out there.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #46
Guitarman-S.T-

SCdlH

smoking a Burley right now, reminds me of Grilling, bonfires... Maybe a little Cypress aroma. little roasted Nut on the nose exhale... caramel .

How am i doing lol
Old 10-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #47
Guitarman-S.T-

SCdlH

Any Brand specific recommendations for an Oriental? Sounds interesting enough. Before i break in my new pipe ( when it arrives i want to be sure what i want it for)
If you say cigar orientated would, well be for the Oriental it sounds like a keeper.

Any reason you suggested Oriental for a CIgar guy? Any cigar tobacco flavor similarities?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #48
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Quote:
Any Brand specific recommendations for an Oriental? Sounds interesting enough. Before i break in my new pipe ( when it arrives i want to be sure what i want it for)
If you say cigar orientated would, well be for the Oriental it sounds like a keeper.

Any reason you suggested Oriental for a CIgar guy? Any cigar tobacco flavor similarities?
i'd recommend McClellands for Oriental blends, they have a ton to choose from and are easy to smoke (as long as you don't get a broken flake style).

the reason for an Oriental for a guy who still smokes cigars is that your taste buds will still be use to the assault on them from cigars, you will miss a LOT of the flavors of a more mellow in flavor smoke from a pipe. an Oriental has a bit of a kick of flavor (not nicotine, but just the initial flavors you get while puffing). if you were to smoke, say... a La Gloria Series R in the morning or night before, then attempt to smoke a light Virginia tobacco, you'd most likely miss more than half the subtle flavors that are in there. it took me months of smoking only pipes after i stopped cigars before i could pick up some flavors found in lighter blends. with Oriental and Latakia based blends, the flavor is in your face from the get go, like cigars.

they don't taste like cigars, and don't search for a tobacco that has "cigar leaf" in it, they're not that good and taste nothing like them.

there's a huge variety of flavors out there to choose from... just as many as cigars.

have fun with it.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #49
Pilon
Feelin' the Love

First Name: Travis
Trading: (49)
Bolivar
Pilon will become famous soon enough

You want a pipe that jumps at you and wows you, but one thing I learned recently with pipes is you want to make sure it will burn the tobacco well and to the bottom of the bowl so it ages well, etc. An older gentlemen who's been smoking pipes for over 20 years showed me a neat thing he does when shopping for pipes. he takes a clean pipecleaner and puts it through the mouthpiece to the inner bowl. you can see the end of the pipcleaner and you want to make sure it's flush with the bottom of the bowl. After doing this with some other bowls, I noticed some did not go flush with the bottom and he said it would not burn as well as the others. Just an FYI. Hard to test that when buying online.
Pilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:40 PM   #50
Pilon
Feelin' the Love

First Name: Travis
Trading: (49)
Bolivar
Pilon will become famous soon enough

And if interested, my local shop just picked up some Bilberry Pipe Tobacco, smells amazing. I actually grabbed a pinch and ate it. Yumm
Pilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:11 AM   #51
Guitarman-S.T-

SCdlH

Wonderful! I'll be placing a little order tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Cut View Post
i'd recommend McClellands for Oriental blends, they have a ton to choose from and are easy to smoke (as long as you don't get a broken flake style).

the reason for an Oriental for a guy who still smokes cigars is that your taste buds will still be use to the assault on them from cigars, you will miss a LOT of the flavors of a more mellow in flavor smoke from a pipe. an Oriental has a bit of a kick of flavor (not nicotine, but just the initial flavors you get while puffing). if you were to smoke, say... a La Gloria Series R in the morning or night before, then attempt to smoke a light Virginia tobacco, you'd most likely miss more than half the subtle flavors that are in there. it took me months of smoking only pipes after i stopped cigars before i could pick up some flavors found in lighter blends. with Oriental and Latakia based blends, the flavor is in your face from the get go, like cigars.

they don't taste like cigars, and don't search for a tobacco that has "cigar leaf" in it, they're not that good and taste nothing like them.

there's a huge variety of flavors out there to choose from... just as many as cigars.

have fun with it.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #52
atlharp
Microaggressor

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (1)
HUpmann
atlharp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
They vary quite a bit. I won't be buying any more Dunhills, they are good pipes but too expensive for what they are................Ser Jacopo pipes are a love hate thing for me. I used to have a bunch more than I do now but i've since gifted/sold/traded a bunch. I love the style but the smoking quality pipe to pipe is terribly inconsistent. Some smoke great from day one, others take ages to break in, and some just never smoked good. It drives me batty
Bjarne's seem like that too me. They are good pipes, but they are a ***** to break in. I like the Nording Freehand pipes. They are friggin' nice, and for the money they smoke like they have been broken in for years. The Blowfish pipes look good man, I would go for it. Between $50-$100 is a good range for a solid high-end burner.

I would take a serious look at some of the Nording Freehands.

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept...ch=DW&tier2=41

ATL
atlharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #53
Guitarman-S.T-

SCdlH

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlharp View Post
Bjarne's seem like that too me. They are good pipes, but they are a ***** to break in. I like the Nording Freehand pipes. They are friggin' nice, and for the money they smoke like they have been broken in for years. The Blowfish pipes look good man, I would go for it. Between $50-$100 is a good range for a solid high-end burner.

I would take a serious look at some of the Nording Freehands.

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept...ch=DW&tier2=41

ATL
awesome! well compared to the blowfish i ordered these aren't to far out for price range... Thanks! If this blowfish treats me well, you will be seeing pipe being a Very interesting hobby for me and I will have no other choice but to get that Nording
ALL thanks to you guys haha Thanks alot, lets see how i'll afford this
Old 10-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #54
Guitarman-S.T-

SCdlH

are there any Davidoff blends that would be classified as Oriental by chance?
Old 10-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #55
Guitarman-S.T-

SCdlH

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mcorsa.html so far this seems to look the best.. worth it, or will it be abit crazy on the Oriental hahaha ( and can all of this be smoked in the same pipe, even though they are different in ways... )

and Mclellands has a Cigar blend... Anything worth looking into? Or if i want a cigar lol Should i just SMOKE one
Old 10-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #56
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Quote:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mcorsa.html so far this seems to look the best.. worth it, or will it be abit crazy on the Oriental hahaha ( and can all of this be smoked in the same pipe, even though they are different in ways... )

and Mclellands has a Cigar blend... Anything worth looking into? Or if i want a cigar lol Should i just SMOKE one
don't get a whole bunch of orientals. one 2oz or 50g tin will last you 15-20 or more smokes. there are tons of things out there to try.

as far as cigar blends go, don't waste your time. if you want to taste a cigar, smoke one, as those pipe tobaccos with cigar leaf in them do NOT taste like a cigar.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #57
Guitarman-S.T-

SCdlH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Cut View Post
don't get a whole bunch of orientals. one 2oz or 50g tin will last you 15-20 or more smokes. there are tons of things out there to try.

as far as cigar blends go, don't waste your time. if you want to taste a cigar, smoke one, as those pipe tobaccos with cigar leaf in them do NOT taste like a cigar.
any suggestiong on McClellands Orientals. maybe there mild, and one of there strong full bodied/ the extremes... (would these be fine in the same pipe)

\thanks again curly- i never caught your name, Sam here! thanks for all the on going assistance
Old 10-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #58
Savvy
Bull Goose Loony

First Name: Jordan
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Savvy will become famous soon enough

I personally like McClelland's Grand Oriental Series. Right now I'm working through a tin of Yenice Agonya and it's pretty good stuff.

I suggest reading through www.tobaccoreviews.com to get an idea of what sounds good to you.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:10 AM   #59
Guitarman-S.T-

SCdlH

thats something else i was wondering. if the Grand series was worth it.
thanks Jordan!
Old 10-23-2009, 07:25 AM   #60
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Quote:
any suggestiong on McClellands Orientals. maybe there mild, and one of there strong full bodied/ the extremes... (would these be fine in the same pipe)

\thanks again curly- i never caught your name, Sam here! thanks for all the on going assistance
on other sites, like CS (or Puff), i went by the username IHT (Greg), you may have seen my name every once in a while.

as far as suggestions for McClellands goes, Savvy is dead on with his praise of their Grand Oriental Series. I have enjoyed Smyrna #1 when i've had it, it's on the milder side. another one to consider is their Oriental #14, which is on the stronger side and contains latakia.

other tobaccos i'd recommend are:
GLP Union Square - a Virginia with plenty of flavor
McClelland 5100 - a sweet Virginia sold in bulk only
and for when you want to get kicked in the jimmy with nicotine...
GH&Co Dark Flake unscented or
GH&Co Brown Twist Sliced (or sliced Brown Twist, depending on who you buy it from) - which are both sold in bulk only.

for a VA/Per, there's a couple that have a good amount of oomph/in your face flavors
GLP Fillmore - this one took me about 3 tins of smoking before i was able to pick up on the subtle sweetness of the virginias, as the perique was so dominant for me
A&C Petersen Escudo - my favorite, but seems to be out of stock most everywhere.