Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 11-19-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default Winter BBQ, all day, all food.

A couple friends of mine from work are coming up for a winter BBQ. The weather is supposed to be below 40 degrees and we are going to be outside hanging by the grill. Anyway, we are doing my baby back ribs, some smoked rotisserie baby chicken. 2" cut Perterhouse Steaks and a grilled whole Red Snapper. We will be capping it off with Chardonnay poached Red Crimson Pears with a Mango Blackberry sauce. I got some pictures of the ribs when I got'em, there are 4 racks totalling 17 pounds. I also snapped another shot after I dry rubbed the first 2 racks. The dry rub by the way came from a BOTL on this forum :eevis. It smells great and I can't wait to do them up. Smoking with mesquite wood on the smoker Saturday. If weather permits, I am going to try to smoke the following:

Fuente King B Rosado
Ashton ESG 21 Robusto
Padron 1964 Anni

If it is that cold and we cannot hang outside for more than an hour at a clip, I will either do an Ashton Heritage Puro Corona G or a Fuente Sungrown Chateu Fuente.

Here's the ribs, thanks again for the rub :eevis!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raw ribs.jpg (108.1 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg dryrubribs.jpg (109.3 KB, 365 views)
Old 11-19-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation
Default Re: Winter BBQ, all day, all food.

that looks like some good eats right there.... yummmmm
Old 11-19-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
Darrell

Have fun, my friend. Sounds like a damn good time!

Also, I would not mind the recipe for Chardonnay poached Red Crimson Pears with a Mango Blackberry sauce, if you would share it?
Old 11-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

First Name: Josh
Trading: (20)
white_s2k is on a distinguished road

I can't think of any better way to spend a Saturday

Enjoy it!
Old 11-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
Scottw
Going Commando

Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Have fun, my friend. Sounds like a damn good time!

Also, I would not mind the recipe for Chardonnay poached Red Crimson Pears with a Mango Blackberry sauce, if you would share it?

Grab your slow cooker and fill it 3/4 the way up with Chardonnay. Cabernet can be used and in fact I am a cabernet drinker but chard does OK here. Plus, the sauce is almost red and the cab would turn the pears red as well so the chard changes the pears to a golden yellow for color contrast (I am the hetero version of Christopher Lowell with presentation).

Heat up the chardonnay in the slow cooker with some cloves (4-6), ground nutmeg (1/4 TSP) and 2-3 cinnamon sticks. Drop the pears in and do them until thay are fork or toothpick tender. (maybe add 10 minutes after that). Add peeled (stem in tact) red crimson pears (or substitute others) and cover.

For the sauce:

In a saucepot, combine blackberry,or any other kind of berry (Straw, Rass, Blue). I would use the golden raspberries if you can find them to go with the pears poached in cabernet (this receipe inside out). Combine the berries with sugar and chunks of mango. Take off the heat when the sugar combines thoroughly and put in a blender until smooth.

Drain the sauce through a fine sieve or cheescloth to remove the seeds from the berries (not the case with blueberries). Put into a squeeze bottle

Take the pears out of the cooker. put them in a bowl stem straight up. Spoon a bit of vanilla ice cream on the side of it with a spoonful or two of the sauce over top and your done. Plus it makes the kitchen smell good. I'll try to remember to take pics.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:24 PM   #6
Scottw
Going Commando

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
Grab your slow cooker and fill it 3/4 the way up with Chardonnay. Cabernet can be used and in fact I am a cabernet drinker but chard does OK here. Plus, the sauce is almost red and the cab would turn the pears red as well so the chard changes the pears to a golden yellow for color contrast (I am the hetero version of Christopher Lowell with presentation).

Heat up the chardonnay in the slow cooker with some cloves (4-6), ground nutmeg (1/4 TSP) and 2-3 cinnamon sticks. Drop the pears in and do them until thay are fork or toothpick tender. (maybe add 10 minutes after that). Add peeled (stem in tact) red crimson pears (or substitute others) and cover.

For the sauce:

In a saucepot, combine blackberry,or any other kind of berry (Straw, Rass, Blue). I would use the golden raspberries if you can find them to go with the pears poached in cabernet (this receipe inside out). Combine the berries with sugar and chunks of mango. Take off the heat when the sugar combines thoroughly and put in a blender until smooth.

Drain the sauce through a fine sieve or cheescloth to remove the seeds from the berries (not the case with blueberries). Put into a squeeze bottle

Take the pears out of the cooker. put them in a bowl stem straight up. Spoon a bit of vanilla ice cream on the side of it with a spoonful or two of the sauce over top and your done. Plus it makes the kitchen smell good. I'll try to remember to take pics.

(The adding of the pears should come after that Christopher Lowell comment.)

Sorry, I had a few bourbons tonight.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:35 AM   #7
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Simply awesome! Great to see you enduring the elements for some Q!
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:48 AM   #8
:eevis

I love the cold winter cooks, just make sure that your temp stays in the right place, and remember, Scotch only makes you Feel Warmer

Have a great time, nothing better that Q'ing with some buddies and enjoying a good smoke!
Old 11-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
:eevis

By my calculations, the food should probably be done by now , I'm hungry, soo.....Where are the Pics, and no, i don't want pics of the scraps
Old 11-22-2008, 04:16 PM   #10
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

I say get 4 grills going around the deck and sit in the middle so the heat keeps your stogies warm. Sounds like a great time Scott..