Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 12-31-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
darb85

Default Bodum 8 Cup Press?

I just got a 5 year old Bodum 8 cup press from my parents. any info on this would be great. The lid/press part sits on top of the glass beaker part.

How exactly do I use this thing? Is Bodum a nice brand?

if its too vauge let me know. Ill try to get more specific. but I dont have a ton of info.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation
Default Re: Bodum 8 Cup Press?

Top of the line brand for French Presses

Not sure on the amount of grounds on the 8 cup but you add them and hot water and let sit for 4 minutes and then press and pour!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
Hardcz

Very cool, great brand.

Get coarse ground coffee.... I use about 1 heaping tablespoon of grounds per cup (6oz). You get your water hot, around 200 degree's... put the coffee in the beaker. Pour the water in, stir *which is optional* put the top on with the plunger, leave the plunger at the top. Let it steep for 3-5 minutes, then with slow steady force, push the plunger to the bottom. Once at the bottom you're ready to serve and enjoy.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
darb85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcz View Post
Very cool, great brand.

Get coarse ground coffee.... I use about 1 heaping tablespoon of grounds per cup (6oz). You get your water hot, around 200 degree's... put the coffee in the beaker. Pour the water in, stir *which is optional* put the top on with the plunger, leave the plunger at the top. Let it steep for 3-5 minutes, then with slow steady force, push the plunger to the bottom. Once at the bottom you're ready to serve and enjoy.
Enjoying it now! wow, this blows away a drip maker! Good stuff. thanks! My parents only made 2 pots ever with this! comes with the little plastic spoons and the glas cups as well. sweet...

Im using 1 Tablespoon of whole beans per 3/4s of a cup and grinding that. Is that about right? tastes good, but maybe a bit weak, whats the math there in regards to whole beans to ground equivlent?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
dunng
MassHole

Bolivar

I would say about three scoops of finished grounds (coarse) depending on the blend... I like mine strong.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
darb85

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunng View Post
I would say about three scoops of finished grounds (coarse) depending on the blend... I like mine strong.
How many table spoons of whole beans will give me 3 scoops of finished grounds? I like mine strong as well!
Old 12-31-2008, 12:20 PM   #7
dunng
MassHole

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb85 View Post
How many table spoons of whole beans will give me 3 scoops of finished grounds? I like mine strong as well!
Not sure... I pre-grind a bit for the whole week...
Old 01-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Tazziedevil is on a distinguished road

I have a 4 cup bodum and love it. I use two and a half scoops (that came with the bodum) and fill to just before the metal ring. Makes the perfect amount- one and a half cups for me, one for the misses.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tazziedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
darb85

im lovin this thing. Figured out the amout of Coffee finally. about 7 tablespoons whole beans for enough ground for 8 cups. at least thats what works for me strengh wise. So much better than drip. Had drip this morning because I was lazy and didnt feel like standing there, doesnt even compare.

me likey French press!
Old 01-09-2009, 03:45 AM   #10
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

Welcome to the french press revolution, darb!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2009, 05:37 AM   #11
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazziedevil;149!
I use two and a half scoops (that came with the bodum) and fill to just before the metal ring. Makes the perfect amount
That's just like the one Mrs. Moo put in the microwave and dissolved the plastic handle. That metal ring was the perfect "fill to here" thingie for me. Loved that 4-cup... had it longer than I've had Mrs. Moo. I would never put HER in the microwave. I am still trying to get over that melted pot...

Darbs - the general rule for a starting point with presses is a tablespoon med/coarse grounds per four ounces of water in the pot. I have found that really good coffee works at 1T per four ounces and less-good coffee seems to work better with more water, around 1T to five-six ounces. An "8-cup" Bodum, assumed to be six-ounces per cup, has a 48 ounce capacity. That means 12 gently rounded tablespoons of coffee for me. A press does not have to be filled to capacity to perform correctly, therefore, a larger press is often a good idea - you can buy an eight-cup pot but only fill it halfway if you want. For the mathematically challenged this means you cannot buy a four-cup pot and brew eight cups in a single pour. Well, you can, but the countertop is going to be very wet.

Water temp is the critical thing 'cause the brew range that makes it all worthwhile if 195* - 205*f. I take a thin-walled stainless steel kettleful of water to just boiling (212*f) and then remove the heat; the thermocouple sez it reduces to 205* in 15 seconds and is nearing 195* in 30-seconds. So, I quick-count to "15-ethiopian yirgacheffe", pour, stir, pour to the top and set the timer for four minutes; beepbeepbeep; press. Every pot perfect. YMMV.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
Hardcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
That's just like the one Mrs. Moo put in the microwave and dissolved the plastic handle. That metal ring was the perfect "fill to here" thingie for me. Loved that 4-cup... had it longer than I've had Mrs. Moo. I would never put HER in the microwave. I am still trying to get over that melted pot...

Darbs - the general rule for a starting point with presses is a tablespoon med/coarse grounds per four ounces of water in the pot. I have found that really good coffee works at 1T per four ounces and less-good coffee seems to work better with more water, around 1T to five-six ounces. An "8-cup" Bodum, assumed to be six-ounces per cup, has a 48 ounce capacity. That means 12 gently rounded tablespoons of coffee for me. A press does not have to be filled to capacity to perform correctly, therefore, a larger press is often a good idea - you can buy an eight-cup pot but only fill it halfway if you want. For the mathematically challenged this means you cannot buy a four-cup pot and brew eight cups in a single pour. Well, you can, but the countertop is going to be very wet.

Water temp is the critical thing 'cause the brew range that makes it all worthwhile if 195* - 205*f. I take a thin-walled stainless steel kettleful of water to just boiling (212*f) and then remove the heat; the thermocouple sez it reduces to 205* in 15 seconds and is nearing 195* in 30-seconds. So, I quick-count to "15-ethiopian yirgacheffe", pour, stir, pour to the top and set the timer for four minutes; beepbeepbeep; press. Every pot perfect. YMMV.
I now have a 4 cupper... thanks VOLT!!!

Anyways, french press is one of the only ways I'll drink coffee black. Other brew methods just haven't done it for me...though I've yet to drink the Moo's Brew... And I'm not talking about his beans.

I'm glad this is working well for you, I hope you have many happy years with your press.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #13
smokehouse
Hiding from Curly Cut

smokehouse has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazziedevil View Post
Welcome to the french press revolution, darb!
Posted via Mobile Device
Its hard to go back to drip once you experience the Press.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:19 AM   #14
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

Indeed it is. Brew always tastes very bitter now.
Posted via Mobile Device