Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 11-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Surly Smoke

I sampled this brew this weekend, and it was pretty remarkable.
http://www.surlybrewing.com/beer/sur...nal-beers.html
(from their site)
Smoke

Ebony-hued, Smoke wafts out of the bottle and into your senses, borne on the wings of European traditions, wrapped in American innovation. Lager-brewed, like any true Baltic Porter, with smoked malts from Bamberg, Germany, the home of Rauchbiers, then mellowed by oak-aging. Black malt flavors mesh with notes of raisins, plums, figs and licorice with the subtle smoke on the side, for a complex and luxurious, yet silky smooth drinking experience. It's a sipper at Alc. 8.2% by VOL., but everyone knows you can't have Smoke without fire!
STYLE: AOak Aged Smoked Baltic Porter
MALT: Pale Ale, Smoked , Black ,Oats
HOPS: Warrior
YEAST: German Lager

OG: 19.5º Plato
ABV: 8.3% v/v
COLOR: 45 ºL
IBU: 50
AVAILABILITY: November

Incredible smoke aroma out of the bottle.
Something I couldn't place right away hit me before drinking.
Couldn't lose it.
Couldn't identify it.

Took a sip.
Took another...

Smoked oysters.
Big time.
And I like smoked oysters.
Perhaps it was my tastebuds that night, but I wouldn't be able to finish a 20 oz bottle if my palate was "on."
Old 11-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Surly Smoke

I bought a bottle of Smoke when it came out, and may buy another before they disappear. I've never had it yet, and am waiting for the right occasion to open the bottle. Not sure what that occasion will be, but I'm sure it will be during the holidays.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: Surly Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
I bought a bottle of Smoke when it came out, and may buy another before they disappear. I've never had it yet, and am waiting for the right occasion to open the bottle. Not sure what that occasion will be, but I'm sure it will be during the holidays.
Considering I am a HUGE fan of most Surly products, I wondered if my tastebuds were off, or this is an aberration for me. Let me know what you think if you happen to remember, Warren.