Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #21
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Truck Accessories

I would consider http://www.linex.com/ over Rhino

I have the XTang Trifecta cover, cost $400 and can only be opened if the tailgate is unlocked. If you are looking for primo covers, I would suggest the Bak Roll-X.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #22
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhailey View Post
OH, Bed extender. Good call. I work downtown, so I purchased the 5.5 foot bed to navigate the garage. However I spend a great deal of time in the mountains so a truck was a natural purchase for me. It would be nice to have a little more room in the bed of the truck to haul the proverbial crud.

Surprisingly my MPG has not really suffered as compared to my old 2001 Pathfinder. I was getting about 18 MPG with the pathfinder, and about 17 with this truck. I will have to wait until more miles are put on this truck to have a set determination on my average MPG though.

Regarding the K&N filters, do you guys realize a noticeable increase in power/MPG? If they are so good, why are they not installed as standard, or given as an option through the dealer? Like I said, my one experience wrecked my MAFS, and I have not looked into the filters since. Maybe they have gotten better since then. And it was not my fault or a pre-existing condition, as I never reached the point of requiring a "recharge/re-oil" of the filter, and the car ran great until 2 weeks after installation of the filter. The Nissan Tech said it was a known issue with the Nissan MAFS and K&N filters.

I will have to check out the Truxcedo.
Matt.... I have used K&N filters for 30+ years. They were a must on my SS Chevelle in the 1980's. The Pathfinders DO have issues with them, but that is more due to how the Mass Air Sensor is set-up, which allows easier catching of particles that can accumulate. I had a 2001 Pathfinder (Daughter has it now) for 10 years, with no issues, but I kept the sensor cleaned on a regular basis. The claim by Nissan is that the "oil" used to charged the filters accumulates on the MAFS and causes the sensor to build-up with gunk which damages it. The 2001 (and the 1995) Pathfinders I (and daughter) have just haven't suffered this problem. However, I am aware that the 2001's have multiple electronic issues that have a dozen possible causes, including bad MAFSs, with a lot of "part hanging" going on to try and fix the problems. Our 2001 is currently having performance issues, and the list of possibilities, including MAFS. But no consensus as to what of a dozen possible causes is correct. And ZERO help from the diagnosis, with no codes showing!!! Summary... Pathfinders, especially the 2001's had issues, so I wouldn't assume the K&N filter as a cause or a negative for your F150. Three F150s in our family (1997, 2005 and 2008), all with over 100,000 miles each on K&N filters with zero problems. Go for it.

The reason it's not offered stock? Cost. Paper filters are 25% of the cost of K&N filters. Given the cheap cost of the recharge system for K&N, and the ability to recharge 5-6 filters, overall, the cost of K&N is lower than paper filters. With naturally aspired engines, the increased airflow of K&N was a definite HP boost. I'm not sure how much additional HP they add on fuel injected engines. K&N says it is a plus, but is that just marketing? The cold air induction system is supposed to be a decent HP boost. But the cost just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #23
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

First Name: Matt
Trading: (21)
mhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Matt.... I have used K&N filters for 30+ years. They were a must on my SS Chevelle in the 1980's. The Pathfinders DO have issues with them, but that is more due to how the Mass Air Sensor is set-up, which allows easier catching of particles that can accumulate. I had a 2001 Pathfinder (Daughter has it now) for 10 years, with no issues, but I kept the sensor cleaned on a regular basis. The claim by Nissan is that the "oil" used to charged the filters accumulates on the MAFS and causes the sensor to build-up with gunk which damages it. The 2001 (and the 1995) Pathfinders I (and daughter) have just haven't suffered this problem. However, I am aware that the 2001's have multiple electronic issues that have a dozen possible causes, including bad MAFSs, with a lot of "part hanging" going on to try and fix the problems. Our 2001 is currently having performance issues, and the list of possibilities, including MAFS. But no consensus as to what of a dozen possible causes is correct. And ZERO help from the diagnosis, with no codes showing!!! Summary... Pathfinders, especially the 2001's had issues, so I wouldn't assume the K&N filter as a cause or a negative for your F150. Three F150s in our family (1997, 2005 and 2008), all with over 100,000 miles each on K&N filters with zero problems. Go for it.

The reason it's not offered stock? Cost. Paper filters are 25% of the cost of K&N filters. Given the cheap cost of the recharge system for K&N, and the ability to recharge 5-6 filters, overall, the cost of K&N is lower than paper filters. With naturally aspired engines, the increased airflow of K&N was a definite HP boost. I'm not sure how much additional HP they add on fuel injected engines. K&N says it is a plus, but is that just marketing? The cold air induction system is supposed to be a decent HP boost. But the cost just doesn't make sense to me.
Great information sir!! Thank you for your reply.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #24
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

First Name: Matt
Trading: (21)
mhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post

I have the XTang Trifecta cover, cost $400 and can only be opened if the tailgate is unlocked. If you are looking for primo covers, I would suggest the Bak Roll-X.

Why would you prefer Linex over Rhino? I thought they would be roughly equal.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:33 AM   #25
Perpmor
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Perpmor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Step bars (Nerf bars) sure make it easier to get in and out, especially if you have older parents that can't step as high as they used to. Ditto on the K&N filter, and getting rid of the stock exhaust (unless the truck is brand new, and the warranty is in force). Carpet floor mats, if it lacks mats. Road salt isn't an issue in the south, but I use "spray-can" undercoating on all my vehicles, which is cheaper than the dealer applied product, and just as good (just make sure underside is clean and dry before you spray.) If not a new truck, you might consider a stereo and speaker update, including a head unit with multiple input ports, including USB.
Yes getting new sound system is major update and it creates a different environment. I recently got bose speakers to boost sound quality.
Perpmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #26
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Every time I buy a new truck my upgrades go as follows: tint > exhaust > intake > wheels/tires/lift > stereo.

I just bought a new silverado last week, had the windows tinted the next day. Exhaust and intake are in a shopping cart online waiting for payday. Everything after that can wait a while.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:06 AM   #27
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
Trade it in for a Dodge. Best thing you can do.
Ford..fixed or repaired dodge.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:07 AM   #28
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post

Had linex in my last truck and too recommend that.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:19 AM   #29
Perpmor
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Perpmor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpmor View Post
Yes getting new sound system is major update and it creates a different environment. I recently got bose speakers to boost sound quality.
Stereo system is one of the essential updates of truck
Perpmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #30
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikk50 View Post
Every time I buy a new truck my upgrades go as follows: tint > exhaust > intake > wheels/tires/lift > stereo.

I just bought a new silverado last week, had the windows tinted the next day. Exhaust and intake are in a shopping cart online waiting for payday. Everything after that can wait a while.
What do you like for an exhaust upgrade? I've picked up a '93 Ram W150 that I'm going to work up for my hunt/fish rig. Besides a susp lift, I'm definitely upgrading the exhaust on this 360. Not really wanting it especially loud, but definitely want it breathing well. I'm thinking of a true dual/double cat exhaust, with 2.5" pipe, new headers, and Thrush mufflers.

While I'm asking, what kind of lift do you like, and did you install yourself?

Thanks,

Joe
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #31
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

instead of true dual, try using an X-pipe set up. you still get the dual exhaust look with a much better sound and better exhaust gas evacuation.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #32
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

If you want a bed mat go to tractor supply and get a horse stall mat. $40 and much cheaper than any other option.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #33
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
If you want a bed mat go to tractor supply and get a horse stall mat. $40 and much cheaper than any other option.
For the non-country folk here is what a horse stall mat looks like. They are 6x4 so I cut the end, split in half and epoxied to the sides for wheel well coverage.

kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote