Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Know When You're Old....

....When you play the kids... We play in our Alumni BB tourney every year. It is the longest running Alumni Basketball tourney in the US & a fun deal every Spring. We made it out of pool play, a feat in itself...& tonight ran into a class 21 years younger than us. OUCH.... They were younger, faster, stronger, jumped higher, were quicker and better looking.

We were awarded 21 points related to age, by rule, and still lost by 16. My pride is a little hurt right now. I have kids not terribly younger than these pups... Oh they crushed us.

We use to be the young kids & now the years are catching up... All that said, love seeing all these guys and getting out and competing a bit. Funny how after an hour or so, everything gets in perspective. I remember running "the old guys" back in the day and wondering how they kept getting guys to come back... Meh....yea, we're the old guys....but we're still ready to lace 'um up.

I have muscle pains, where I didn't know I had muscle....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Know When You're Old....

Welcome to middle age my friend. It sucks.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

That's funny EJ. We play BB weekly with a group of pickups. Usually about 4-5 games to 15 or 3 to 21. Full court. We've all been playing together for around 8 years. Guys come and go, but we have a solid core of 6-8. We range in age from 30 to 50. Everyone is in semi-decent shape. I'm quickly approaching 44. Some times a HS kid or two of one of the guys comes out (he may bring a buddy or two) when they're on break and those buggers can cook it. Like you said, they can run and jump like they're on the moon. Us old guys have patience and smarts and that often goes a long ways. They usually get gassed in the first couple of games and the old guys start pouncing them. We also split up ages to make it more competitive, but we have beaten those youngsters (old vs young) on occasion. My ankles and legs hurt more than anything else on my body and I know one day I'll have to give it up, but until then, let her roll!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Take joy in the fact that these kids will see the same thing happen to themselves in 20 years

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, E.J.
I got a good laugh over it. I was laughing with you, though. They may have whipped your asses, but you can lie comfortable in the fact that those little boogers have 20 years of misery ahead of them while they learn the stuff you already suffered through. That's enough to make ya cringe, isn't it?
Old 03-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

Main thing is to keep playing.
I wear knee wraps and an ankle brace and I've sure lost a step (or 10) from when I played ball as a kid, but I'm still swinging for the fences
Old 03-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

(Coming from a 24 year old)
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
riverdawg
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (0)
Navy (Served With Honor)
riverdawg is on a distinguished road

But you weren't home laying on the couch. Good on ya!!!
riverdawg is offline   Reply With Quote